HubSpot Ideas

karstenkoehler

When merging contacts, allow for combining values of multiple checkbox properties

Hey HubSpot product team,

When merging or de-duplicating contacts, HubSpot's default behavior is the following:

"The most recent value for each property will be used for the new record."

This makes sense for most property types but causes issues with multiple checkboxes properties.

Scenario: A contact has two email addresses, e.g. rudysteiblitz@gmail.com and rudolphsteiblitz@gmail.com. Rudy selects pizza and sandwiches as his favorite food (multiple checkboxes form field), while Rudolph has previously selected burgers. When merging contacts, the more recent values (Rudy's pizza and sandwiches) would overwrite burgers. Can there be an option to combine these values instead of overwriting?

Thanks!

4 Comentarios
DHeywood
Miembro

me too! we use multiple checkboxes to manage which events a contact has been to. When we identify duplicates, this has the potential to overwrite which is an absolute disaster. Users expect when merging a contact - that properties of this nature are merged, not overwritten!

AHerzog
Miembro
We have the same problem. We use multiple checkboxes to document, wich seminar someone has booked. By merging two contacts, we loose the past seminars - a disaster!

MRovers
Miembro

Hi everyone, 

I want to merge a lot of duplicate contacts. The issue is that we use the properties to products purchased. If we have the newest overwrite older products purchased, we lose that information. 

In order to keep the information, I have been adding the properties manually again (time consuming!), and this triggers workflows... so people are getting purchase confirmation emails again when sometimes they have purchased years ago (for evergreen offers, we can't switch off the workflows). I checked all the workflow settings to be set to the default 'no' to enroll merged contacts, but if I manually add properties, this rule does not apply. 

Is there a way that ALL the properties are merged? Not just the newest? So NOT overwriting anything? 

Thanks! 

Marjolein

RHorton-Ortho
Participante

Until an enhancement is done to HubSpot to fix this issue... has any developer a workaround to capture the data before it gets deleted or something else so that this data isn't lost?