HubSpot Ideas

fergusj

WhatsApp Opt-In through Subscription Preferences API

We have been playing around with the new direct HubSpot to WhatsApp integration. But we have run into a limitation around business-initiated messaging and managing the required Opt-In according to the Meta/WhatsApp guidelines for Opt-In

Today HubSpot only supports setting the opt-in communications subscription preference either through:

1. Customers explicitly opting in through the use of a keywoard like START or SUBSCRIBE in a customer-initiated WhatsApp conversation, or
  2. Manually setting the preference through the HubSpot App UX; and only one contact at a time, no bulk updates

Meta/WhatsApp allows for explicit consumer opt-in to be gathered through multiple channels:

• SMS
  • Website
  • In a WhatsApp thread
  • By phone (using an interactive voice response (IVR) flow)
  • In person or on paper (customers can sign a physical document to opt in)

However the HubSpot approach today only covers one of these channels: "in a WhatsApp thread."

In our use case we get explicit opt-in through a web form. So it would be ideal if we could push this opt-in through the Subscription Preferences API, just like we can for email opt-in/opt-out.

HubSpot Updates
January 09, 2024 04:53 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm Markie, a Product Manager in HubSpot's Messaging Experience group. Thank you for taking a moment to participate in the voting on this topic. I wanted to share a quick update — we are pleased to inform you that customers can conveniently manage their WhatsApp consent status using various methods, including workflows, bulk actions, keywords (in thread), or on a one-to-one basis through the contact's contact record. Furthermore, we have plans to introduce support for explicit opt-in through a web form submission. The product development process is always filled with unexpected bumps and hurdles, so I can't give a timeline, but I want to assure you that we are committed to delivering this feature at the earliest opportunity.

If you have other specific needs for using a WhatsApp API to subscribe, unsubscribe or resubscribe, please continue to share your ideas -- your input is invaluable to us. 

Best,

Markie

27 Replies
froettgen
HubSpot Employee

+1

BPolenske

It would be also useful to see all sent messages in the history

dalefknight
Participant

+1

We want users to opt-in via our website. 

StanGommans
Participant | Gold Partner

Yes please. As of now, the functionality is practically unusable for us

KDarroch

Agreed. It should be possible to opt in from forms, such as an application form, so that customers can set their preferences from the outset.

SLeung

Definitely would be beneficial to all businesses using whatsapp business on HubSpot. 

DiegoCisneros
Participant

+1

this is a must

firat_gursu

+1

Whatsapp Integration is completely useless without this feature. It is impossible to use.

spacecat

This is a must have for any automation!

LDiPalma3
Participant

+1

Robse89
Participant

+1 

ChrisChiha
Top Contributor

Now we are not able to send whatsapp communication to new leads as we can't set the whatsapp subscription automatically. Whatsapp messages for newly added contacts are failing as the only way to initiate an outbound whatsapp message with the contact is by manually going to the contact and doing the opt-in.
This idea is highly needed as going forward all new outbound whatsapp messages will be failing due to lack of automatic whatsapp opt-in.

Thanks

mmacedodecarv

+1 it's unusefull without the opt-in by forms

MAdinolfi

+1

LLow
Participant

+1

NathanMistry

The fact that Hubspot does not allow us to contact clients, even though they have granted permission for contact through other channels is extremely frustrating.

This is one of the reasons I signed up for Hubspot as I was under the impression that could be done. I am now finding myself searching for other services outside of Hubspot to use the Whatsapp API to its full potential which is another additional costs.

Hubspot needs to change this desperately!

KBoettcher
HubSpot Employee

+1

Iffah
HubSpot Employee

Adding on behalf of customer- Would be helpful to be able to set subscription in bulk via workflow (similar to HubSpot subscriptions)

DPaula5

+1

7 months  and no reply so far. This is a must for businesses in Brazil

ThaisCampbell
HubSpot Employee

+1