HubSpot Ideas

jhernanper

We need the Consent checkbox in forms to be able to be set as mandatory

Hi,

GDPR needs explicit consent not only to send communications but also to store and process personal data. The way in which HubSpot works right now is not complying to GDPR. Users can send the forms without checking the consent checkbox, but their data is still stored by HubSpot. This DOES NOT comply to the GDPR. A message stating that the user consents the STORAGE and PROCESSING of his/her data and such checkbox being mandatory is the ONLY way to comply to the GDPR and enable HubSpot and we, your customers, to store data from the users of our websites.

Please make this option to make the checkbox mandatory ASAP.

Thanks,

Javier

8 Replies
Tom
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

@jhernanper All consent to process data checkboxes are required within HubSpot forms, this is not editable as a form submission is processing data and it would be impossible to handle a form submission without processing any data. 

However consent to communicate is not a required checkbox. We can still process a form submission without consent to communicate and only having consent to process. data. Consent to communicate just means the person does not give you their consent to contact them. This is not required but all consent to process data checkboxes are required (mandatory) on all forms. 

jhernanper
Participant

Hi @Tom,

I am sorry to say, but at least in our HubSpot experience this is not true. There are no mandatory checkboxes in our forms, neither an option to make them mandatory. Plus, I talked about this with your support team and they recognized that HubSpot only developed a consent checkbox for communication purposes, not for processing data. So please, can you clarify, where is this supposed "consent to process data" checkboxes that you mention? I can't see them in our HubSpot property / forms.

Thanks,

Javier

Tom
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Thanks for following up @jhernanper these are found under the "Notice and Consent/Legitimate interest(GDPR)" Options which you will see on the left panel of your forms, with your contact properties. These are not standard contact properties. 

In here we have multiple options:

• Consent checkbox for communications; form submit as consent to process
  • Consent checkboxes for communications and processing
  • Legitimate interest 

With 1 and 3 using the submit button as a check for consent to process. The 2nd option however adds a second checkbox for consent to process which is required to be checked in order for the form to submit. There is full information on how all of this works and how to add these options to your form available here: 

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/forms/how-do-i-add-notice-and-consent-information...

For example I set up an example form here which has the first checkbox as consent to communicate (not required) and consent to process (required): https://share.hsforms.com/1stklzAd8SxSnhosVXT0YXQ1btlk

You'll see if you don't check the second checkbox the form will not submit and provides and error message. 

GDPR options in form editorGDPR options in form editorLive form after submit has been pressedLive form after submit has been pressed

Are you not seeing these options within your editor? Or are you seeing this option not required within your form? 

If you're not seeing this field required could you send me on a link to a page with your form and I can investigate this further for you as this field should always be required. 

jhernanper
Participant

Hi again @Tom,

Many thanks for your help. I can see now that after choosing "Consent checkboxes for communications and processing" I can get both checkboxes. Now:

• I believe that the consent to process should come first, as it should be mandatory. How can I move it up?
  • Is the consent to process preset as mandatory? Or do I have to set it up as mandatory?

Cheers,

Javier

Tom
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Happy I could help @jhernanper there is currently no way to change the order of these the preset order is the only order we allow. 

Consent to process is only mandatory, there is no way to set this as not mandatory as processing is required to submit a form and thus this consent must be given. 

Tom
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

jhernanper
Participant

I see. Please consider allowing us to place the consent to process up, as it makes clear sense that this consent is provided prior to consent to communicate.

Cheers,

J

benvanlooy
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

@Tom Yes, there is a checkbox that forces consent in the 2nd option.

However:

We are forced to also supply one of our Subscription types. What we need is the option to ONLY show the consent checkbox without having to choose a subscription type.

This is what's missing..