HubSpot Ideas

amyheng

Validation Rules

Hi everyone,

I would like to suggest that HubSpot's CRM/Sales platform require validations for fields. 

For example, my company wants to setup a validation rule so that a company name must start with a capital letter, or emails and first/last names must be required when creating new contacts.

Thanks.

37 Replies
atalwar

This would be a great feature that could be paired with the deal stage automation settings, such that deals can only be moved to a deal stage when they meet a certain criteria.

HDawkins
Participant

Would love to see this too. We are trying to migrate from SF to HS and this is a crucial aspect of the process. 

dwalczak
HubSpot Employee

HubSpot rep here! 

Just spoke with a customer who has a specific need to prevent special characters from being entered into a field. With the first name property, for example, it's possible for someone to insert a malicious URL in the first name field which poses a security threat. By preventing characters such as ".", this would prevent a behavior like that from occuring. 

avivkasuto

Any update on this idea? this is the biggest flaw of HubSpot IMO.

MMetros5
Contributor

This is required

DWalker1

I agree and think this would also be valuable. For example a deal close date is never before a a deal creation date so we should be able to put some validation in place to ensure this does not happen. 

MRebakBA
Participant

Again, very surprised to see that this does not exist as ootb functionality in Hubspot. One of a few 'me too' features that are critically needed when comparing to SFDC

patrick_kaiser
Participant

We also miss the possibility to add custom validation rules to properties badly.

Appending a hint in the description field (eg. FORMAT: XX:YY) is not really an option, when external integrations rely on valid data. Users just do not care and they will put anything in if they are allowed to do so 😉

hgarcia
HubSpot Employee

This can be accommplish with Operations Hub and a workflow. The Format data workflow action enables you to automatically fix, format, and maintain your CRM data. For example, you can use this action to capitalize contact or company names, or calculate values based on properties. Check out this knowledge base to learn more: 

Format your data with Workflows 

Daskinw

@hgarcia your suggestion could work to solve the data formatting use cases but it doesn't allow you to prevent rep actions based on certain fields being populated (e.g. moving to closed won if x is not null). or am i missing something?

megannorris
Participant

I'd love to be able to block certain phrases from being submitted. Especially when our submissions get published to public slack channels.

MSwift

Need field validation in forms! We have too many people skipping the website URL by just inputting a single letter -- huge mess to deal with

Paula
Participant | Partner

I was also surprised to find that you can set limits on properties (eg: character limitations and restrictions), but they do not apply to form submissions. So  if your use case is setting character limitations for visitors answering things in forms, this function is completely useless.

AMexicotte
Participant

Can we get a response from Hubspot on why, 6 years after this post, that this basic functionality to improve CRM data quality still doesn't even have a response? This is an incredibly basic feature that is going to have customers fleeing to your competitors. I just joined a new company that already had Hubspot and I'm definitely going to be suggesting switching just because of this limitation.

hgarcia
HubSpot Employee

The two ideas from the original post are both doable within the HubSpot platform. The first use case can be done with Operations Hub + the second use case is also doable. More on that here and here. Hope this helps!

AMexicotte
Participant

@hgarcia I'm looking for more than basic validations. I want certain properties to be required to fill out when entering or exiting certain stages. It looks like all we can do with validations is character limits or restricting the types of values that can be put into the field. 

DAntonelli
Participant

This is urgently needed!