HubSpot Ideas

liberworm

User Audit / Report or Export

It would be very helpful to be able to export a users lists along with what teams they are on, their roles and/or permissions. In order to do a user audit now I have to look at each user separately and create a spreadsheet by hand. Not the most effective method as we get larger and onboard more teams into HS. 

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
February 17, 2022 12:43 PM

This feature of Export Users is now live on all HubSpot portals 🎉

Outlined here in this Knowledge Base article: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/settings/export-users

We are currently working on the final stages of an early Beta for a feature to audit historical user permissions and the changes made to them. If you are interested in that Beta, please send me an email to asykes@hubspot.com

Thanks as always for your ideas and feedback!

Alice

February 10, 2021 12:00 PM

Thanks for suggesting this idea! Are you looking for a list of the current state of users or historical info? 

Best,

Maggie

17 Replies
mgeorgieva
HubSpot Product Team

Thanks for suggesting this idea! Are you looking for a list of the current state of users or historical info? 

Best,

Maggie

liberworm
Contributor

@mgeorgieva I am looking for a current state report please. 

JenniferErena
Contributor

This is a fantastic idea.  As a part of SOC 2, I am required to audit my users.  It would be time consuming and full of points of failure to manually look at each users settings.  I would like a report that shows users, permissions, teams, and last login.  Current state, but would also be nice to see when users were removed from the system.  

We need to get some upvotes here!

It would also be helpful to see an audit trail of who created users and updated permissions. 

With HubSpot also being SOC2/3, how do you manage your own access audits?  Showing "Is the account setup with least privilege access?"

user0129834

There is no way to alert on certain role grants nor see the audit trail of who granted those permissions or security options to a user and when.

It is impossible now to troubleshoot access issues.

This is a required feature for security operations and is considered during vendor review.

CMakolandra
Contributor

We definitely need this! We had some issues with user permission and realized we need to do a user audit! This would be super helpful to have this ability!

ASykes
HubSpot Product Team

This feature of Export Users is now live on all HubSpot portals 🎉

Outlined here in this Knowledge Base article: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/settings/export-users

We are currently working on the final stages of an early Beta for a feature to audit historical user permissions and the changes made to them. If you are interested in that Beta, please send me an email to asykes@hubspot.com

Thanks as always for your ideas and feedback!

Alice

FMaher
Contributor

I'm quite dissapointed in the user export of user permissions. There are so many 'permissions' that aren't actually permissions - a lot of the permissions don't easily link up with the settings in the user permissions screen. I've spent considerable time asking support what everything means. There are permissions like 'CRM All editor'. This doesn't mean the user can edit all CRM objects - it just means they have permission to edit SOME or ALL objects. It's more like a category than a permission. All users that can edit some but not all objects have this 'CRM All editor' permission.

I need to provide user access reports quarterly to ensure we meet our compliances. Every time I run this report I have to explain what everything means. Very dissapointed a product like HubSpot could produce a report like this.

Harmonator

I agree with FMaher.  A quick chat with a support representative confirmed it.  It is incredibly disheartening when the community waits for months/years for a requested feature only to discover stuff like this when delivered.  A 'permissions' column in a report should contain actionable permissions tied directly to what an Admin can control in the GUI.  Instead, confusing pseudo summaries like 'CRM All Editor' have been loaded that add NO value during a report review.  Makes no sense.

FMaher
Contributor

After my post I was contacted by HubSpot to ask for further information. However there has been no communication since then. I need to provide a report quarterly as part of our compliance audits. It's a nightmare of visually comparing each user's permissions to my spreadsheet. It takes half a day each quarter, when in reality this could be a quick report to run and save to our audit file. I can't believe that a product like HubSpot which can be so intuitive provides such a bad report (which is actually just a screen dump of html - they never built a report).

FMaher
Contributor

I'm really dissapointed to find this idea is marked as 'delievered'. The report is a HTML dump, and does not allow me to understand which users/teams have which user permissions.

Anyone I've had contact with around user permission reports is doing the same as me - maintaining a spreadsheet. I need to provide a user permission access report on a quarterly basis. There is no way for me to even view permissions for multiple users at a time - I can only compare my spreadsheet with a HubSpot screen one user at a time. Not to mention typically every 6 months there is a change to the permissions, which means I need to edit the layout of the spreadsheet and fill in the additional coloumns for the multitude of users that we have.

I am going to submit a separate request for an improved report.

BKoshy

Hi folks, 

My name is Betty and I'm a UX researcher for Hubspot. Thanks for your comments. We’re about to run a research study to dig more into our customers’ experience with permissions. Let me know if you’re interested in participating. This will be a paid study. If you are interested, please reply to this comment or contact me at bkoshy@hubspot.com

liberworm
Contributor
Happy to participate
Harmonator
Happy to help.
BKoshy

@liberworm &  @Harmonator  - Excellent ! Thank you for offering to participate. Would you mind sending me an email at bkoshy@hubspot? I'll then send you an invite with a link to my calendar so we can talk all things permissions 🙂 

BKoshy

If anyone else is interested in participating, please send me an email at bkoshy@hubspot.com and I'll send you in invite promptly. We're looking to run the study throughout the month of February. 

JenniferErena
Contributor

Hi @BKoshy , I am very interested in boosting this ability to satisfy SOC 2 auditing of least privilege requried.  It is hard to line-up permissions with the current report. I requested by email to join the study.  Thank you for taking a deeper dive into this 🙂 

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/User-Audit-Report-or-Export/idc-p/442857/highlight/tr...

FMaher
Contributor

It's SOC2 I need to comply with as well.