HubSpot Ideas

hayesnelson

Use workflow to trigger a sequence

I'd like to be able to use a hubspot workflow to enroll (and trigger) a contact into a sequence in the CRM.

I'd like to execute a sequence we've built in our HubSpot CRM when a contact property changes. eg; when contact property is set to 'X' trigger sequence 'Y'

262 Replies
netsquire
Participant

I think this beta feature might be what people on this thread want:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/forms/create-follow-up-emails-for-forms

DannyKing

Good find netsquire - that does look like a good feature but unfortunately I belive it won't do what many of the people in this thread are asking for. Follow-up emails on forms are great for people that have filled out a form, but for other contacts we still need to manually go through and add every single one to a sequence and there's no way to automate that, unless you want to stick to marketing-only emails, which don't fit the use-cases well that sequences can.

Hubspot have been igorning this for a while... it sounds like they just don't want this functionality for some reason but they haven't elaborated as to why, despite many users asking for it. We're just looking at moving our outreach efforts outsude of Hubspot becuase it's not scalabale for us without automation for sequences for the SDR style outbound emails we do. Which of course significantly lowers the value of Hubspot to us as we scale because ideally we want everything in one place.

MCogs

I would really, really like this functionality.  I don't know why it does not exist.

A trigger starts a sequence.  Why is this so hard? 

TY!

Kees

It is a pity that the adjustment in hte form-sequence doesn't allow you to add a document, like you can do on emailtemplates.

Now you only can send a confirmation but still connot use it as a way to receive a document.

ericahelmer

This is essential if we are going to extend automation into the sales process.  Need to be able to send 1:1 email based on activity to save sales person time.

OfferZenBrett
Participant

@edjusten 

Is this on Hubspot roadmap at all? I'd like to enroll contacts in a sequence using a workflow trigger. 

glencornell
HubSpot Product Team

Hi Community!

Thanks everyone who has contributed to this thread with comments and upvotes. We've been internally investigating ways to turn this idea into a reality. There are a number of great use-cases for how this could increase your teams efficiency, as well as numeruos potentially unwanted scenarios that we plan to avoid. This has made implementing a seemlingly simple feature to be surprisingly complicated!

If anyone would like to help, it would be great to discuss some of your use-cases, reasons, and ideas for how you would use this feature. I'd also like to share some questions and a few scenarios to get further thoughts and reactions to how we might implement this.  I plan to start setting up some calls in the next several weeks.

If you're interested, please send me a direct message!

- Glen

OfferZenBrett
Participant

@glencornell  count me in. Sending DM now. Just need to figure out how 😉 

Nadine_N
Contributor

Happy to send you some ideas. I understand the reluctance but even with that, this automation is long overdue

alexinelittle

This would be extremely helpful for us. We have multiple workflows that are based off of our web app and it would be helpful to have these leads be automatically enrolled in a sequence if they meet SQL criteria. 

BC_BOT

@edjusten 

A use case that I have - if we have a deal that has gone on hold for a long(ish) time, maybe too busy right now, we want to move them to another Pipeline (On Hold Pipeline), and depending on the stage of that Pipeline, then enrol them in a Sequence that will send emails and create tasks for the sales rep. 

So the workflow would move the contact to another pipeline & stage, then based on a time period or the stage of the new pipeline would enroll the deal contact into a sequence to rewarm the prospect and provide outreach cadence for the sales reps.

I know I can build another workflow and link to that - but we want to to enroll into Sequences that we have already for other use. The Workflows will just duplicate work.

Onur
Contributor | Diamond Partner

essential!!

Lets have it pls

ErinVL

I was flabbergasted that this feature was missing from the tool. We need to be able to automatically route leads to different sequences based on their activities, and we need HubSpot to help us manage sequence enrollments so we don't have leads getting enrolled in conflicting sequences or being reached out to by multiple people/too often/etc. The knee-jerk reaction would be to boil that down into something that prevents leads from being enrolled in more than one sequence at a time, but we'd need a way to control which sequences take priority and be able to move them between sequences based on their activity in real-time. That might involve some sort of controls to prevent leads from getting the most recent email or call from one sequence, being removed then added to another sequence, and getting the first call/email from the new sequence too close to when the call/email from the former sequence went out.

This would be a fantastic feature!! Definitely need to get working on this Hubspot. 

scottp

Use Case - We would like to use a workflow to unenroll a lead who has clicked a call to action link from the sequence they are in, and then enroll them into a new sequence more specific based upon their engagement.  We hope to be able to drive more specific related content to that group of individuals.

Minhotaur

I was surprised this wasn't already a feature, we use both Intercom and Hubspot and it's one of the few features they have over Hubspot.

MichelleFink
Contributor

Our use case is as follows:

We have a "New Client Onboarding Email" that we manually send out to new clients when their deal closes. This gives them all of the needed info to get them started. The template email contains fields from the deal, company and contact level records. The sequence tool allows us to pull from all 3 records and use personalization tokens. The only problem is....when a deal closes, I might as well send the template through gmail because I have to manually enroll the contact in Hubspot myself. We'd like to connect a workflow to a sequence to perform this action automatically.

Deal Stage becomes closed/won ----> Contact attached to deal gets enrolled in sequence. Sequence sends the contact their new client onboarding email which pulls info from the related deal. 

Issues to mitigate here: I recognize that a contact could be connected to multiple deals and it won't know which deal info to pull into the sequence personalization fields. 

One thought....build in deal, contact, and company level personalization tokens into the workflow email automation tool instead. Then we won't need to hook into the sequence tool.

michelle_2n
Contributor

i second this idea! we want to be able to auto enroll a contact if they fill out a form on our website. should be pretty basic.

BSkov

I have a few cases where I would like to enroll a contact in a sequence from a workflow. Here's one.

When customers order brochures/catalogues on our website by filling in a form, a task is currently set up for a team member to send the brochures by post. 

When she has done so, she mark the task as complete. 

A workflow will look for contacts with a task; with a title containing "Send Brochures to" AND task status COMPLETE.

Then I would like to enroll this contact in a sequence, with the sender being the contact owner, to let them know the brocures are on their way.

And subsequently follow up over the following days/weeks.

AnthonyK1

Use-case: Someone that downloads a whitepaper  on website (filled in a form) gets enrolled in a sequence of follow up emails with other whitepapers and call to actions.

So weird  Hubspot isn't offering this already. But I'm glad you're going  to implement the feature. The only question is how fast will  you be able to?

Thanks !

Kind regards