HubSpot Ideas

Dylan

Use a form to populate custom object data

Custom object fields should be available to be used in the forms tool

22 Replies
ndwilliams3
Key Advisor

This is definately needed. This should work for custom objects similar to the way Tickets work with forms. 

1. Toggle on Create New Object
  2. Select Object Type form dropdown
  3. Add Object Fields

Workflow can accomplish that. However, if it's lots of fields, it's going to be a huge pain to map the contact to object fields.

ndwilliams3
Key Advisor

I was messing around with custom objects in a sandbox portal and it looks like you can now added custom object properties to forms.

dtavenues
Contributor

The custom object fields are available in forms now, but it looks like that would only update an existing object as per support. It really should create the object and the association that seems much more useful and intuitive.

Bob2245
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

This is pretty core to a lot of CO use cases that I'm working on.

• One example I have right now is a large truck brand. Their lead form has a module that lets contacts locate their nearest dealer. I want to build a CO that has all dealers in there, and have the form submission associate the contact to the correct dealer. 

• One other is a catalogue of refurbished heavy equipment that prospective buyers can browse through. Since it's refurbished, each piece of equipment is unique and stored in a CO. Buyers can request a quote through a web form. I'd love to be able to create a deal from the form submission, and automatically associate that deal with the correct CO records, based on equipment IDs passed through a hidden field in the webform.

In both cases I have all the pieces, all I'm missing is the logic to use a value in the form to look up and associate with a record on another object (custom or not).

JerryReid
Contributor

Our use cases is to be able to collect website user feedback and store it on a custom object, with the option of collecting an email address (but the email address is not required; could be anonymous).

louischausse
Key Advisor | Platinum Partner

I have this in my portal ... I don't understand why this idea is not labeled as "delivered"

Bob2245
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

They've added something to this effect, as you can indeed create CO records through a form. What's still not possible afaik, is updating existing CO records through a form, or creating associations between a contact submitting the form and a CO created from that same form. But I haven't played around with it much yet, so I'm not 100%.

louischausse
Key Advisor | Platinum Partner

@Bob2245 yep I have the same conclusion!

jmbray
Participant

Thumbs up. It would be helpful for our team members / customers to create & update Custom Objects through Forms as well as create an association to the proper Contact or other Object.

MM360

Is this feature currently available? I can use my CO properties in a form, but the submission does not create a new CO record...

reycepeda
Participant

is this being worked on?

impulsekring
Contributor | Elite Partner

YES!! It would be amazing if you could use the form to select a specified record, and then edit property information for that record. Example context:

• Car owners updating vehicle information for their insurance quote.
  • Parents choosing which child they're signing up for the event.
  • Marketers uploading new image for specific billboard print order.
JBeatty
Guide | Diamond Partner

This would be super useful.

David_Bolton
Participant

yes this is required.

dwc1993
Participant

@Bob2245 - you're right. Idk why they have the properties available if they're not going to do anything.

ndwilliams3
Key Advisor

I do believe this is possible now. From my understanding, you can add custom object properties to a form, if the field is a required property for the the object, it will de-dupe against exisiting records. See https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Releases-and-Updates/Now-Live-Custom-Objects-Properties-available-i...

BWilliams89

Still requires an contact to submit the form against. Really need to ability to submit a form against a custom object and not require a contact or company.

MLedwaba

We really need this as well. Associate the contact that filled in the form to a custom object instead of the company object 

Peter_Jones

Same here. We have a custom object for customer account, and once a contract is signe,, we create a customer account and all of the relevant associations. A group of fields are needed for billing, and we want to send a billing form to the client to fill in, that would automatically load jnto Hubspots billing section and fields. So far, doesn't seem possible without some major workarounds and might not be able to auto associate the form from the contact to the custom object the contact is associated to. 

C'mon hubspot, you can do it!

ndwilliams3
Key Advisor

This is possible now with Hubspot forms. Make sure your custom object properties have show in forms set. On the form, you'll see a section for each objects properties to add to the form. Adding an object property that is a unique identifier will be used to de-dedupe the objects and update an existing object. otherwise a new object will be created and associated to the contact. only unique identifiers can be used to match to existing objects.

Example

Custom Object: unique identifier

Custom Object: other field