HubSpot Ideas

HenryDufloth

Use Workflow to copy properties from another object into your object.

1, A client of ours that has custom object resellers and distributors associated with company accounts

2, The goal is whenever a new reseller or distributor is added (or another trigger) that a HubSpot workflow will take information from another object (in this case address) and add it to the company record.

3, I believe this will provide a simpler and easier-to-manage solution for copying property values. This can currently be achieved with custom properties and 3+ workflows but it is very messy and prone to workflow error and lag.

4 Replies
ALucas0

I am in a similar situation, we need to be able to copy company values to a deal, and the current workaround is to create dummy fields, and then workflows based on that - which again just leads to bad data.

It seems a simple request to be able to copy company properties to deal properties - without duplicating more fields. 

JacquelineOng
HubSpot Employee

hey @ALucas0  it is possible to copy over company properties to deal properties. You need to create a company workflow, and make sure your deal has a corresponding deal property to get the info in. (please see attached screenshot) If you do not have a corresponding deal property, HubSpot will not be able to store your information otherwise. These resources here and here may help to clarify.

Copy over company to deal property.png

I believe here @HenryDufloth is referring to another topic which is using custom object workflows instead, and then being able to copy over property values from the custom object itself, to another object which is indeed not possible at this time. Am commenting here on behalf of another HubSpot customer for this feature request as well as I could see how it could be useful.

In the meantime, for custom objects:

• your best bet would be to retrieve the details of your custom objects with the Custom objects API then use any other relevant HubSpot APIs (i.e. HubSpot default APIs for updating deal properties) or the same custom objects API to update the values of another custom object.
ALucas0
Hi,

I understand you can use a workflow to copy a property - but this is so not
necessary. At the moment our database is populated by duplicate properties
whilst trying to use the same field in different objects, i.e. company,
contacts and properties.

Instead, it would much more efficient to create a field, and then state the
objects that you would like it to use in. I.e., use this field in Companies
and Deals, If a deal is created from that company it automatically inherits
the value.

Workflows are being used as a workaround, but they get messy as mentioned
by someone else in the thread, and we are duplicating the same fields
NathanielMaymon
Participant

I agree, this would be super useful.

The ability to copy any associated object property to another objcet (i.e cutsom-object to contact, custom-object  to custom-object, company to deal etc.)

This would reduce the need for complex\wasteful API calls.