HubSpot Ideas

Sambo

Use NEW custom behavioral event as a Workflow trigger

There is a new Behavioral Event functionality for Marketing Enterprise, and the old one is marked as a "legacy". The new one supports only Delay until event happens feature on workflows.  Knowledgebase article explains how it works, but currently, you can't use events for anything else but delays.

We want to use Behavioral Events also as a trigger – not delay. For example, when event X happens, we want a Slack notification. 

This is an important feature for especially Sales and Service, when something critical happens. Also, Marketing people can benefit from this. When notification reaches proper persons, they can serve better customers in real-time. 

48 Replies
derekcavaliero
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

While that may be true, we have clients who need these events for specific logic branching depending on micro events/conversions such as video/audio interaction. We have ways of stitching data between systems to know who did what/where/when, but we don't have efficient ways of changing the content or nuturing conditionallly based on the content they are interacting with. That is my frustration 🙂

CTrujillo
did my trick of waiting for the event make sense in your case? or there are way to many to be managed that way?
MeganLegge
HubSpot Product Team
Hi folks,

I’m Megan Legge, a product manager for HubSpot’s workflows tool. Thank you all for taking the time to upvote and comment on this Idea. We hear your feedback and we agree that this functionality is important. There are a couple of large systems changes that the workflows tool will need to make in order to support the new custom behavioral event (CBE) functionality in workflow triggers. We’re currently planning out the work for those system upgrades, and it will take some time, but they are on our roadmap.

After those changes, we’ll be better positioned to tackle this request of having access to custom behavioral events as workflow triggers. In the meantime, the good news is there's an alternate way you can support your CBE & automation use cases, today:

• Create a contact list and use the new CBE filters that are available there to capture the contacts who complete the event you’re interested in
  • Create a contact workflow that uses a “List Membership” trigger, and select the list you made in the previous step. When a new contact completes the event, they will join that list, and enroll in the workflow.
If you have questions about how to set this up, please reach out to support. Any future news about this feature request will be relayed on this thread.

Best,
Megan
Sambo
Participant | Diamond Partner
Thank you, Megan! We really appreciate your response. Large system changes are a good reason why this is not available yet and I believe we can wait. This workaround solution is good. Hopefully, people can find it.
SamJigSpace
Participant

Hi Megan

The temporary solution you have outlined is not possible either:

Create a contact list and use the new CBE filters that are available there to capture the contacts who complete the event you’re interested in

Active lists can only use Behavioral Events (Legacy) as filters.

Can you update the thread with more info on how to work around this limitation?

Thanks,

Sam

Ignazio
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Hi @SamJigSpace ! 

The new CBE filter on the list creation is available:

Schermata 2021-12-13 alle 09.43.18.png

i

SStankov8

This is actually mandatory to able to trigger workflows by CBE.

RudyChaney
Participant

It would be very useful to be able to filter amount of CBEs similar to Legacy Events. 

ROKelly0

I was recently made aware that a system upgrade to your portal needs to be made in order to use CBE filters in lists and workflows. 

RudyChaney
Participant

@ROKelly0 did you make the upgrade? If so did it add any extra functionality? Would really love to be able to use this feature. 

ROKelly0

Hi @RudyChaney We're currently in pre-planning now for this. Some context: We're already on the Enterprise tier and there were some(CBE) functionality  roadblocks we ran into because our portal is powered by an older list processing and segmentation engine. Some of those roadblocks included our inability to run events-based trigger workflows and access to CBE filters in active lists. Its been a major pain point for our org, so looking forward to this change. I'll keep you posted here on our progress.

RudyChaney
Participant

@ROKelly0 thanks for the update. That makes sense. I believe we are able to use them in this way, but hoping we will also be able to build lists against how many times a CBE occurred, similar to Legacy Events. 

KMurphy59

The list workaround doesn't work for me as we may have the same person trigger the same event multiple times a day.  How might we deal with this?  Any ideas?  @MeganLegge do you have any suggestions or do you have a timeline update on when the workflow trigger might be available? I already reached out to support with a case/ticket who directed me back to the Ideas forum.  

CFarish
Participant

We too are urgently needing the update for workflow trigger on CBE's - any update on timing for this is much appreciated

KDupont
Participant

The support of the new custom behavioral event in the Zapier action os also important. We would not be able to stop using the old behavioral events before this is supported. 

MeganLegge
HubSpot Product Team
Hi everyone,

Thank you for continuing to add your questions and comments. We understand your needs for this functionality and it remains a top priority on our end. 

For clarification, the vast majority of you will have already seen a system upgrade to your lists tool, which brought the new custom behavioral events filters to your contact lists. There is a very small percentage of portals where the lists system upgrade may still be underway. If you do not see the new custom behavioral event (CBE) filters in your contact lists, please reach out to your HubSpot point of contact for more information and assistance. This is the available workaround that helps you use the new CBEs in contact workflows, by triggering workflows off of lists where those filters are available. I know this workaround has limitations, such as re-enrollment mentioned in a follow up comment, but I assure you we are continuing to work toward our end goal of making workflow functionality for CBEs complete. 

The workflows team is now actively working on the system upgrades, that I mentioned we were planning, back in November. We've been working on them for the last couple of months, and we have at least several months of work remaining. We consider this a top priority, and it will remain high priority work on our end. We appreciate your continued patience and understanding. Any future news about this will be relayed here, on this thread.

Thank you,
Megan
MeganLegge
HubSpot Product Team

RudyChaney
Participant

@MeganLegge this is awesome, thank you for the update. 

One other list feature that would be really great is being able to filter by occurence time. At least in our portal, we can only filter by if the event occured at least once, which limits how dynamic that selection is. 

I suppose with workflow triggers that might eliminate the need, but wanted to pass along that feedback. 

Thanks!

Bob2245
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

Heh. Just talked this feature up into the clouds to a client that just got onto Enterprise, figuring it must already be there because CBE's have been in for a while now. Never realised you couldn't include them in workflow triggers yet. But glad to hear it's being worked on!

DennisdK
Participant

Is there also a date for when the new CBE will be integrated into Scoring properties?