HubSpot Ideas

CAlfrey

Usage of custom code outputs in workflow if/then branches

HubSpot Team,

My team and I believe it would be incredibly useful if we could have the ability to copy data outputs from custom code for use in if/then conditionals in workflows. With an update like this, we could create workflows that are far more robust when it comes to meeting certain conditions for automations to trigger.

Thanks,

The Kennected Team

10 Commentaires
CAlfrey
Membre

Of course, it is possible to first save these outputs to a property, though it would be far more efficient to be able to use it from directly within the workflow.

CP-BWG
Contributeur

Doesnt make sense that we can't use an output from custom code to branch handling.  Makes no sense why this was overlooked by OperaitonsHub developers.  Can someone from @hubspot shed some light here?

DennisJ
Participant

100% agree. My workflows are throwing errors that can't be handled, because I can not test if the output is empty or not. Therefore it is also getting challenging to differentiate real errors in the action logs and just "expected" errors.

grantmcinnes
Participant

I agree with the above comment. We need the ability to check the output value before we update a property in an object. 

Upvoting this idea. 

fiberpunk
Contributeur

+1! Please add this.

PirkkaLiukkonen
Membre | Partenaire solutions Platinum

C'moon. This is silly: you can define output values but you can't use them to for example message personalization. I wrote a small script to parse automatic alert messages to be able create a custom message to Microsoft Teams channel and this would require new properties in the ticket and saving data there.

grantmcinnes
Participant

Has there been any progress on this request? Workflows are very powerful but can definitely be better.

PCurtis
Participant

Adding another general moan about the inability to do this. I assume everyone is just setting hidden properties in the workflow objects but that should be unncessary...

ChaosFreak
Contributeur

Like so many other HubSpot features, this one is half finished. I just got through creating custom code to output `true` or `false` and was hoping to branch the workflow based on that.

Lo and behold... HubSpot can't do this simple task!

So, once again I'm creating a placeholder property in the contact to hold my values for a workflow, when workflows should be able to do this by default.

It never ceases to amaze me how HubSpot leaves almost every feature half-finished.

bcl22
Membre

+1 from me - the output from custom code would be so much more useful if the rest of the workflow operators could see/act on it.

Simple things like if/else branches or sending an email with personalisation from the output of the custom code would be a huge step forwards, and presuambly could follow the same pattern as exists for the value-equals-brand operator (which _can_ see the output of custom code)