Jems212

Update/Overwrite/Append Data Options for Contact Property Fields

Basically for each property I want 3 options to choose from:
1) Update value if blank
2) Append to value
3) Overwrite value

Sample use case(s):
Append Option: Notes Field
I have a comments field on my contact form where someone sends us a query. If that contact later submits another query I don't want to lose the previous info from my records. I want to see the new information appended to that field.  (Can't keep creating new properties and using smart properties). 

Overwrite Option 
Standard as happens curently with most fields, if a contact enters a new phone number it overrides the previous data to keep it updated with the latest information.

Update if Blank option - Lead Source
When a lead comes in, I assign the Lead Source to it, but I only want that updated if there is no previous Lead Source assigned to it. I don't want subsequent forms to overwrite the value. Smart Field(s) works only partially because if I use the API to submit forms, smart fields do not stop it from being overwritten.

Thanks 

Mises à jour HubSpot
Statut mis à jour : Not Currently Planned
April 10, 2020 03:01 PM

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product.

We are constantly evaluating and re-evaluating our priorities and roadmap to deliver as much value to our customers as possible. It is currently possible to append data to a multiple checkbox property. Here is an article that describes that functionality. However, at this time, adding additional functionality to our import tool is not something our team is currently planning to build natively into HubSpot. This is certainly subject to change in the future and we will update this idea if that becomes the case. 

136 Commentaires
LSlader
Membre

Need this for append options.

ABeian
Participant

6 years later...

We need this feature too, in connection with forms.

Ginayoyo
Participant

It is disheartening to see that the problem was brought up in 2017 and six years later, in 2023, no resolution has been found.

LSmith24
Membre

Cant beileve this is not possible

WOuld be hugely helpful for transferring our system from dynamics to hubspot and now will need tobe manual

TJIH31
Membre

Appending multiple checkboxes on a form is crucial to most companies. It should definitely be an option

antonia_kraft
Contributeur | Partenaire solutions Platinum

+ 1

ScottSpot
Membre

Need the ability to append data to properties other than multi-select checkboxes. Most notably, we need to be able to append comments into a notes field exactly as the original requester described.

@Dylan -- for context, every single idea currently in beta status has fewer upvotes than this idea.

CarolineZ
Membre

+1

janheinze
Membre

I wouldn't classify this as a feature; rather, the current behavior appears more akin to a bug. From my perspective, enabling users to fully overwrite database records via web forms, without the ability to prevent this, is a rather risky proposition. Introducing a straightforward checkbox option within the form builder to append data instead of overwriting could effectively address this issue.

BMeling
Membre

This would be a perfect solution for the Playbook problem we're having as well.

Since Playbook activity does not transfer in any way to a duplicate Deal (which is the only way for it to enter the Onboarding Pipeline without removing it from the Sales Pipeline), we have to manually visit the original Deal to see Playbook contents. The only option then is to update Properties ... but if you update Properties via the Playbook, it overwrites instead of adding to any existing text.

TMüller17
Membre

We have a similar case where existing contact or company properties shouldn't be updated with every new form submission.

Our case: we ask for campaign criteria - and some customers want to submit different campaign settings. 

So it would be very helpful if the first entry wouldn't be overwritten but added to the field.

ABeney
Participant

We need this fix actioned now. We have a property which tags those who submit forms to an exprom/visprom pot depending on what they submit but we have this for multiple shows and products. We cant have this being overriden everytime someone submits a form from a different show, as we lose the fact they were tagged for a previous show. There are new forms being created all the time and many shows and it is too laboursome to keep creating/editing workflows to fix this as a workaround. This should be standard and I cant believe it is still not actioned when it first flagged in 2019!

TJIH31
Membre

This should be one of the higher priorities for Hubspot updates. I can't imagine it'd even take long to code it

jdepu
Membre

Some of our most complex workflows stem from not being able to append data when a form is submitted. This would be a really helpful feature.

JacobJ22
Membre

Similar issue to a lot of users here. We have an entire section of workflows that are dedicated to appending values that could be handled by functionality. Instead we have to have two assets and two processes in place for each modification to our existing form set. 

MichelleMassung
Contributeur | Partenaire solutions Platinum

I'm definitely in need of this functionality, too. I would like to be able to append to a text field, just as you described, to not lose data previously entered. And being able to have a form append to a multi-select property and not overwrite it would be great. That should be able to be accomplished right from the form and not have to be done with workflows. Just like with workflows, you should be able to set the choice of overwrite or append.