HubSpot Ideas

ngambuti

Unmerging records

To be able to unmerge contacts. 

It is often an issue if two different contacts use the same browser, where their activity feed would be combined. To be able to check off which entries you are moving to a new contact, then create that new contact and have those chosen activity fields populate the contact properties would be AMAZING. 

Right now this is a huge inconvenience and manual process to create the new contact, and their activity still shows up on the original contact's page. This messes up analytics. 

44 Replies
NicoleJ
HubSpot Moderator

+1

LBroeker
Participant

Agreed, an un-merging contact function is very much needed. Best with custom assigning of logs to a particular email. 

NPW
Contributor

Upvoted. 

@dmastin 

GWoodham

This is a really important function to provide, as I just mistakenly merged the records of two customers who have the same name and now, realising my mistake, I can't untangle their details (not to mention the fact that some details have been overwritten and therefore lost!).

Upvoted!  

Beata_W

+1

PatiN

upvoted

DS11

+1

ButCanItGoViral
Participant

Deal data is very important, so it's important to have abilities like these to be able to keep deal data accurate when mistakes happen.

danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

Just saw this asked by another user and thought it would helpful for folks. +1 here! 

RHUILLERY

I totally agree with the usefulness of a function to unmerge contacts after a human error or an unsolicited automatic merge.
I just lost 4 contacts and all their respective history... I will have to waste time recreating each contact but their history is lost.

Restoring contacts is only possible if the contacts have been deleted from CRM and are in the recycle bin. However, in the case of a merger, the contacts are not deleted and do not go through the recycle bin, so they cannot be restored.

I would like to know if it is possible to put the contact that disappears during the merge in the recycle bin before or after the merge with the chosen contact so that it can be recovered if necessary.

I hope this feature will be available soon. 

svicente

We need to have the feature to un merge deals

ButCanItGoViral
Participant

This is a top 2 wishlist item out of all of my company's feature requests. (#1 would be the ability to edit Lifecycle Stage datestamps on contacts, which is very similar to this request). Both are hyper important, because they give us the ability to fix mistakes in funnel data that goes to the Board of Directors. Because we can't submit inaccurate data, instead the current workaround is to export to Excel instead, and reporting becomes progressively more manual over time as mistakes happen and can never be reversed.

Specifically related to this feature, every single deal report has to be exported to Excel, until this feature is built.

Schifft

This feature is needed URGENTLY. 

A little more than disappointed this has been up here for over 3 years with so many people reporting to have lost crucial data mistakenly. 

So many good ideas in this thread. 

susandoucet

I agree, please enable us to unmerge contacts

LPWilson

This lack of "Un-Merge" should be top of the feature development list. It's incredibly mportant to be able to unmerge Contacts and should be highlighted weekly. Somehow I've had a contact merge themselves and I can't figure out how it happened. Two distinct companies and two different email domains. Please enable this feature!

Schifft
EXACTLY- Top of the list!

It's extremely frustrating because most of the people on this list arrive
here AFTER the issue, and there is no remedy.

This thread has been open for YEARS!
SGill1
Participant

Accidentally merged two contacts today, would love to be able to undo that! Agree with what was said above about having a grace period to undo.

lregadas
HubSpot Employee

It would be very important to be able to unmerge. Many clients reported having done a merge by error and need to revert it, without losing the history.

Schifft

Agreed, another VITAL HubSpot function request that has been sitting open for YEARS.. 
disappointing. 

TSagan

Yes.  this is needed!!!