HubSpot Ideas

JSammon512

UTM Parameters for Google My Business - Lead Source Tracking Fix

Hi All,

Hopefully, most of you are familiar with Google My Business. It's becoming even more important for helping businesses rank locally for key terms.

In order to get better tracking data in Google Analytics, Google encourages you to add UTM parameters to your website URL in Google My Business.

Here's an example of the parameters that we add: ?utm_source=googlemybusiness&utm_campaign=stowkent&utm_medium=organic

Right now, HubSpot does not properly attribute the lead source for people coming to your website and filling out forms from Google My Business. Right now this is classified as "paid search."

This is really throwing off our data in HubSpot right now since we have 10 different locations that want the ability to track traffic in GA from GMB.

Is there any way you can add the specific medium parameter in HubSpot for lead source tracking so that the data is tracked properly?

It's weird but it's not accounted for here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/reports/understand-hubspots-traffic-sources-in-the-traffic-analytics-t...

6 Replies
dmaxwell
Contributor | Partner

Has anyone figured out a way to do this?  

HubSpot indicated we can have it show up as organic ir there are no UTM parameters, but then we lose visibility of which GMB site (or if it was GMB altogeher); or it appears it will show up as Paid Search (distorting our paid search results) if we have the UTMs to show that traffic is sourced from Google My Business (GMB) and location.

Open to suggestions.

baribeau
Contributor

This Hubspot issue continues to exist across Google's spectrum of secondary search products, including Google Business and Google Jobs.

As a work-around, if you have access to Workflows, you could create one that enrolls contacts when "Original Source" is "Paid Search" AND "Original Source Drill-Down 1" matches the relevant search product's UTM parameters (ie. Google Jobs automatically sets utm_source to "google_jobs_apply"). Then as an action, update "Original Source" to "Organic Search".

There's a negative consequence, of course: This will automatically and permanently erase your Drill-Down 1 and Drill-Down 2 data for the matching contacts. Here are two suggestions to update that feature, which I'd suggest you upvote:

thomas9

+1

KarenEDW
Member | Diamond Partner

I am also wondering if anyone has a solution to this.   Almost all our gpb leads are showing as PAID even though we are using utm  - ?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gbp-listing&utm_content=

Help! 

Chorany1
Member | Partner

Same issue here. +1

j-z
Member | Elite Partner
Member | Elite Partner

This should be a fundamental feature in Hubspot - Please implement asap.