HubSpot Ideas

marstalb

Trigger a workflow when a property value has been changed

[This has been resolved] It would be wonderful to have the ability to trigger a workflow when a property value has changed. For example, we have leads submit answers on a form, and after a sales rep speaks to the lead, sometimes the rep find out the information our lead selected was incorrect. Once the sales rep overrides the form submission's answer, marketing needs to be notified so we can place the lead in the appropriate follow up workflow to send relevant topics to our leads. 

32 Kommentare
anthonyp
Mitglied

We have this same need, but for Deals.

katja
HubSpot Employee

To clarify: it's already possible to set off a workflow whenever a contact property value changes. To do this, you would set the reenrollment criteria to "[Property] is known." (See this Knowledge article for steps on editing enrollment criteria!)

@anthonyp: You're correct that it's not currently an option to reenroll contacts in a workflow based on company or deal properties—thanks so much for bringing the suggestion to our attention!

Cheers,

Katja

HubSpot Support

marstalb
Mitglied

Hi @katja!

I don't believe it's possible for our needs because our property value is already known, and we have sales reps who change the property value to a second, alternate known value. Do you have an way to accomplish this? 

For example, say I have a field "Calls" and today the property value is "1" and tomorrow my rep changes the value from "1" to "2". I need the ability to run a list, report or workflow to notify me when the property value changes.

Thanks!

Maggie

katja
HubSpot Employee

Hi @marstalb,

Setting the enrollment criteria to allow reenrollment whenever the property is known will trigger a contact to go through the workflow again every time the property changes. The exception to this would be if the contact is already progressing through the workflow when the property changes, as a contact cannot be in two places in the same workflow.

marstalb
Mitglied

Thank you so much @katja!! This is working seamlessly for us now! I'm disappointed that I submitted a help ticket on this topic on January 13, 2017 and was told that HubSpot didn't have this feature. I appreciate your assistance!

grantfoster
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

I have a number field that won't allow me to do this with re-enrollment. Why is this? I have one contact who just stays enrolled and doesn't get re-enrolled when that number field changes.

simonsmith
Teilnehmer/-in

I don't think the solutions suggested so far capture all possible use cases, and it would be great to have the ability to trigger a workflow based on contact field changes. Let me give you an example that we want to implement:

• User exists with an email address
  • User email address changes—sometimes due to a known issue with how HubSpot associates cookies with emails
  • We want to get notified when this happens so we can determine when it's appropriate and when it's inappropriate

For example, when our users are on public computers, they sometimes end up changing each other's email addresses due to how HubSpot works with emails and cookies. We want to get notified when that happens so we can look into it. 

mbaradell
Mitglied

We need something similar and the suggestion above didn't solve our issue. We would like to have a webhook triggered by any update to any contact, company or deal property on any contact record. Something as simple as adding "changed" to the list of options in many properties, right between "is known", "is unknown", etc.

Wiz
Mitglied

Can you also create a worflow to trigger whenever a company property changes? For example, if we want to copy a company's phone number into a contact's phone number every time a change to the company phone number is made. 

clioi
Stratege/Strategin

Hi @katja,

As suggested above, we need an option to both allow reenrolment of contact into a workflow and run a workflow constantly so that it can capture a known property change. For example, if number of employees changes from < 5,000 to > 5,000, then the sales team needs to be notified. Could you please help?

Thanks,

Clio

ZXRex
Mitglied

Amen to that!  We can trigger workflows in that manner in crm...it would be very helpful if we could do that in hubspot as well.

covalentcareers
Teilnehmer/-in

@simonsmith Did you ever find a solution to your problem with email address changes? We are also trying to get notified when a contact's email address changes, but can't quite find a way to get at this information.

simonsmith
Teilnehmer/-in

@covalentcareers unfortunately, no.

elmo
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

@katjaany news on whether you're planning to allow re-enrollment based on company properties as well?

jaafar
Teilnehmer/-in

Did someone find a solution to this problem ? And any news on a update allowing re-enrollment based on a change in a company's properties?

MattPutt
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

I was having this same issue. Managed to figure a work around. I thought I'd post in case it was any use.

The situation:

We band our client in level 1,2 and 3 and have a 'company property' and a 'contact property' to show which level they are at. If the account grows/reduces in size we will update the properties. I built a workflow to try and automate the 'contact property' update once a 'company property' was updated.

I had the same issue that a few people have mentioned in this thread, I needed the workflow to run every time the 'company property' was updated. 'is known' and 'is unknown' didn't solve the problem.

My solution:

I created 3 active lists, one for each of the 'company property' values ('Client Level 1' etc.), I then changed the enrollment criteria for the workflow to 'list membership' and 'contact is a member of 'client level 1' OR 'client level 2' OR  'client level 3', I changed the re-enrollment conditions and ticked each list.

Now, whenever we change the 'company property', the company drops out of one list and into another, triggering the workflow everytime it changes.

Eureka!

You can't beat that feeling when you refresh and it's worked perfectly. It's always harder to write these things out, so I hope that makes sense? Let me know if not.

Ps. I know this is marked up as 'Solved', but the solution didn't work for me and I don't think it worked for everyone, that's why I've posted this.

jaafar
Teilnehmer/-in

Hey thanks for your answer ! But I don't really understand how did you make it work in your workflow in order to be able to change the "contact property" of all the contacts concerned by your company, just by changing the "company property".

How did you make your workflow ?

Thank you for your answer.

MattPutt
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

I've set the workflow up using "If/then" branches, so an example...

1. If the "Company Property" "Client Level" equals "Level 1"
  2. "Yes" - Then "Set a contact property" "Client Level" to "Level 1" (this will change all contacts associated with the company)
  3. "No" - the workflow continues through the other property values.

Does that help?

jaafar
Teilnehmer/-in

Yes it helped me a lot. Thank you ! 

marymartin28
Teilnehmer/-in

Please make it so we can trigger based on a property change! Coming from Marketo, this has been one of the biggest pains and all of my work arounds without a doubt miss a majority of the people I am trying to trigger an update for 😞

We need a Data Value Change equivalent!