HubSpot Ideas

mfinocchiaro

Tracking Documents from File Manager

We have software data sheets in the File Manager that we link to on our site for customer download. We need to have the ability to track how many times these pdfs are downloaded for viewing, as well as being able to see what web pages these linked documents can be found.

HubSpot Updates
November 30, 2022 11:50 AM

Hi everyone,

As you can see - this was recently changed to "not planned". We did that foreseeing that in 2023 we will not be able to work on this project, and wanted to make sure that everyone was updated on where things stand. We will update this post further when work for this is planned again! I am also happy to chat with anyone here and see if we can find any workable solutions. 

Not Currently Planned
November 30, 2022 09:45 AM

In Planning
May 03, 2022 07:25 AM

Being Reviewed
March 25, 2020 06:36 AM

Idea Submitted
April 11, 2019 12:41 PM

Currently leaving this as 'Idea Submitted' since there are no definitive plans on our roadmap but it is something that our team is aware of. 

April 11, 2019 12:38 PM

Hi everyone, thank you for your feedback here. While there is no official update at this time, this is something that is on our team's radar; there are no definitive plans on our roadmap for this but it is something that our team is aware of.

152 Replies
MelissaWilson
Participant | Platinum Partner

This is a HUGE MUST HAVE for our clients. We have hundreds of files - public and private - that need to be tracked to make our future efforts more efficient and effective.  PLEASE, HubSpot, Please answer our prayers. 🙂 

lnarthur

Agreed

Kieranf

NEED NEED NEED! Having exact same problem others mention. Sales documents can only take me so far as a marketer as require individual emails for each contact so cannot bulk send but at same time I would want to track all interactions with sales collateral like (I work in events and conferences) sample del lists, sponsorship brochures, event fact sheets etc. 

jaymartin

Still just an idea because it's a Hubspot cash grab to push for the Documents section or migrate your entire website. So frustrating this popular issue continues to get pushed to the side. It's been 5+ Years HubSpot!!! Come on!

CSansonetti

Yes please!

THoang
Participant

I got to the end of this thread hoping to see this implemented since the original post was in 2017! Still needed!

AlexArtiga
Contributor

@THoang 

At this point I feel like HubSpot is ignoring us. Why HubSpot? Why?

joshatpyramid
Participant

+1 to this idea.

We use links to these files in our website and would love to tie them back to the Hubspot score. Not all PDFs are gated, for example, and we can't use CTAs as they won't work well within the framework of our website.

eeghbal1

Love this, please do! 

SaWells
Contributor | Platinum Partner

Is there an update on this? Last update looks like it was a year and a half ago.

RBlenkiron

My goal is to turn the leads over to sales but it's been a nightmare weeding through manually

pperea
Participant

I would love the ability to track contacts who click on a link to an ungated resource. We currently use a form through which the contact has to completed information (again) in order to track the download.

LanceMcCall

I agree - Simple filtering options as well date ranges and for file types Llike PDFs vs PPTs, .XLS, Images etc.  Would be nice to have the keyword filtering as well as we have a sophisticated naming convention for files so we could use that to see only the data we need/ want.

eeghbal1

Yes please! Especially when only the link is used, it's be helpful to see how many views the document has. 

Walt
Participant

This doesn't seem like it would be a major development effort, but it has stagnated.

What's the update, Hubspot? Give us something here!

EMyers

Not being able to track File Manager file views/downloads is very disappointing.  This looks like it has been on the radar for 5 years now.  Can we please have an update on the status of this functionality?

Thanks.

RBreen
HubSpot Employee

Great idea!

ShannonE

This seems like an obvious metric need. How many people accessed a file? If they're coming from a social post, we currently have no insight into this via HubSpot and no insight as to where they originated. 

bendonahower
Guide | Diamond Partner
It's not perfect but if you are concerned about views from social media,
like your example, couldn't you use the number of clicks from your social
media analytics as a close gauge?
ShannonE

Hi Yes, we could track LinkedIn for example. But what happens when we give one of our external partners the link to the document so that they can share? We cannot track their audience clicks related to our content. We also cannot use Google to track it since the URL to the file acts like a subdomain and we cannot leverage Google Analytics or Search Console to track the documents.