HubSpot Ideas

mfinocchiaro

Tracking Documents from File Manager

We have software data sheets in the File Manager that we link to on our site for customer download. We need to have the ability to track how many times these pdfs are downloaded for viewing, as well as being able to see what web pages these linked documents can be found.

HubSpot Updates
November 30, 2022 11:50 AM

Hi everyone,

As you can see - this was recently changed to "not planned". We did that foreseeing that in 2023 we will not be able to work on this project, and wanted to make sure that everyone was updated on where things stand. We will update this post further when work for this is planned again! I am also happy to chat with anyone here and see if we can find any workable solutions. 

Not Currently Planned
November 30, 2022 09:45 AM

In Planning
May 03, 2022 07:25 AM

Being Reviewed
March 25, 2020 06:36 AM

Idea Submitted
April 11, 2019 12:41 PM

Currently leaving this as 'Idea Submitted' since there are no definitive plans on our roadmap but it is something that our team is aware of. 

April 11, 2019 12:38 PM

Hi everyone, thank you for your feedback here. While there is no official update at this time, this is something that is on our team's radar; there are no definitive plans on our roadmap for this but it is something that our team is aware of.

151 Replies
kristinpm

I googled 'how to track views of my Hubspot files' and got this long string. Wanted to add my +1 to this idea! It seems like a no-brainer and especially important as more and more companies are ungating content in order to help the buyer's journey. Hiding behind CTAs or forms isn't always a great experience.... 

Pagenoi
Contributor

Our team also really needs this functionality. We are using event tracking to determine how often a link is clicked on for our community moments magazine, and that helps us a bit without using it as a CTA, but it would be great to be able to track the documents "view" count or assets "download" count to be able to determine how often that is being visited.

DanielChen

There's a real business need to justify marketing spend as businesses tighten their marketing budgets. As marketing activities ultimately drive sales performance, marketers need to turn marketing spend into marketing investments so that management can make better decisions. One way to do this is to position marketing activities as investments and backing these spending with quantifiable results. We desperately need ROI-driven campaigns. 

Help us to help you, HubSpot. Everybody wins if you listen to us.

GrowthOL

I would also like a feature where I can at least see how many page-loads a File gets. It would be useful data to have when planning new content.

watanak
HubSpot Product Team

coldaker
Participant

Adding to this request. This feature would be super useful for tracking download activity on files. We automate the creation of links to many files in our marketing emails, which isn't possible to do with CTAs, so currently we have no window into the # of times those files are accessed/downloaded.

jdonald
Participant

Yes- this is a basic functionality that other MAT systems offer as standard process. I was shocked to discover that HS does not do this... This is a fundamental capability of a CMS... I hope this will be expedited. The fact that this thread is three years old now and it's still being reviewed is not encouraging!

eattard

We really need this functionality too. I notice this thread has been around for several years but still no action from Hubspot?

fmuniz

I am totally in agreement with my fellow user above. This functionality would doubel the power of email tracking.

ArmadaHealth

This is definitely needed. When we want to remove a PDF that is used on multiple pages, we can't view the list of every page it is used on, like we can for other files. We need to manually find all of the locations and this is time-consuming and not accurate. 

tvandeweerd

We would really like to have this functionality aswell. Not only to see how many times a file is downloaded (which tells us something about its effectiveness), but also to see WHO downloaded it. In our business 

We used Act-On before we started using HubSpot, and this was a basic feature there. 

CGIS

+1
Was very surprised that documents in the file manager (PDFs, etc.) cannot currently be tracked/no HubSpot analytics.
Very much required.

bayleafdigital
Participant | Gold Partner

I agree 100%. This should have been in place years ago.

ndwilliams3
Key Advisor

I resort to using either CTA's or Enterprise Events. However, it's more work. Being able to track documents or track the clicks on a link from a landing page performance. 

AlexArtiga
Contributor

Very good idea! I hope we can have this feature available soon. 

JerryKoch
Participant

We have list of brochures and cut sheets we woud like to make availabe, and track who downloads them.  We have a long sales cycle influenced by a range of people, knowing who at a client or prospect is expressing interest through a download is very valuable to the sales team.

Would like to see simple gating and tracking of download added to the File Manager. 

• A "gated" flag would cause a form fill if a contact is not currently a HubSpot contact, and trigger tracking like blog views
  • Assigning a campaign to the file would provide us what we need in terms of tracking
dianna
Contributor

Adding my vote! Also agree nice additions would be seeing time spent on the document and the ability to link the files to campaigns. 

AmandaBair

It's 2020 and this still isn't available? On another marketing automation platform I used, you could create an assortment of link types/tags at the file level (e.g., marketing email, website, sales outreach, social) to segment the asset traction, if needed, but these metrics were available at the file level, which is incredibly useful.

susiehudson
Participant

Yes - I was trying to ascertain if this was possible too. Sharing simple content in files and understanding the impact ( how many people viewed ) without gating or using a landing page.

jbear

Echoing my disapointment that this is not a feature. How can we not track views or clicks of files?

Marketing document feature is for one-off emails and not the answer. This should be a basic feature of a CMS. Any update at all on when this might be added?