HubSpot Ideas

basil

ToC Table of Contents for Knowledge Base Articles

Would be cool if you would autogenerate a ToC of knowledge base articles from the paragraph headings without wasting too much screen real estate. Maybe an option to toggle on and off? Or a sticky box that scrolls with you? Especially for longer articles, this allows the user to get to his content faster or judge better if the answer is in the article.

28 Replies
Herschel
Top Contributor

YES! It is frustrating that this is not already a feature considering that Hubspot does this for their own Academy articles and even advises you to include a a table of contents in their guide to writing knowledge base articles.

Organize you Knowledge Base Article.JPG

Number 4.JPG

d_greenhalgh
Participant

I'd love to be able to add a table of contents, just like you see on the hubspot Knowledge base:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/tickets/create-tickets

Or at the very least the ability to add Anchor Links, so we could do something similar.

craiggrella
Participant

Is there a feature request for this anywhere?

This would be a great idea for blog options.

Based on heading tags.

Rufus
Participant

Hi there

As far as I am aware you can insert Anchors within the Knowledge base articles, which would enable you to create a ToC at the top with links to these Anchors

Not automoatic - but does work

Hope this helps

Rufus

Devin-P

I'd love to have the scrolling ToC that the Hubspot Academy articles have as well. I've created Tables at the top of each of my Knowledge Base articles with anchor tags to each section, but a formal ToC feature that had the option to scroll with the user would be super helpful.

SPatrick
Participant

Yes, I second this idea.  The Anchor option is great but it's not a scroling ToC like HS has in their KB articles.   The scrolling ToC is a better option and is more intuitive for users.   What I most disappointed about is that it takes months if not years before HubSpot will listed to it's clients to implement a great idea.   I have seen this time and time again in this community for ideas that would be beneficial for the majority of their client base.   Great company, good product but just not that responsive to feature request unless it produces additional revenue streams.

JanWandrey

A automatically generated TOC, scrolling as well, would be great to make live easier for us who writes the articles and of course for the readers as well. Hope this feature will comming soon.  It is all about the customers, Hubspots and ours.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A sticky ToC module for blog posts is REALLY a must have. My client's keep asking for it over and over again. Is the development of this feature already in progress?

CP-BWG
Contributor

I find it extremely frustrating that we cannot update the styling of the knowledge base to match even what hubspot is doing on their very own knowledge base.  Look, they have table of contents, modules, everything.  HOW can we edit our knowledge base using the deisgn/theme ?

Acterys
Participant

Absolute must that other tools like confluence offer perfectly

lydiafleck
Member | Diamond Partner

This would be incredibly helpful to have as an option to include in articles!! 

LoganH

Why is this not a feature already? I feel like this is a must have for any article.

f1oren

@LoganH No it's not, you have to put HTML anchors by hand and build the table of contents by hand too 😞

c_christopoulou

Yes please! At this point, ToC is super hard to create, mainly because it takes so much space when bullet points or numbered list is added. Manually creating a ToC is one thing, but having to play around to create a compact ToC is even worse tbh. A stick ToC would be amazing! Please add this 🙏

andrew123
Participant

I appreciate that we can make a table of contents using anchors.

But it takes too long to make and takes up too much space on the screen.

An automatically-generated, frozen (aka sticky/scrolling) ToC would help so much.

JMcMinn0

I'll just add my voice to the list of people requesting this feature. Manually building ToCs for every article is way too troublesome and then requires you to include it in the body of the article. Having a floating ToC on the left or right side of the page would make navigation much easier. I'm thinking of something similar to the navigation pane in Microsoft Word:

Navigation Pane.jpg

1. Automatically generate a ToC using the Headings in the article.
  2. Give us the option to manually include/remove certain Headings to/from the ToC.
  3. Pin the ToC to the left or right side of the screen and keep it on screen as the user scrolls.
  4. The user can jump to a Heading by clicking on it in the ToC.
  5. BONUS: As the user scrolls through the article, highlight the Heading they are currently on.
  6. BONUS: Let us copy the anchor link for each Heading by clicking it while reading the article. I consider this feature related to the ToC since these would be the same anchor links used in the ToC. Confluence offers this functionality:
    Copy Link to Header.png
SPatrick
Participant
We moved to Document360 for this very reason among a few others.
SPatrick
Participant

We moved to Document360 for this very reason among a few others.

CeeKe
Participant

Completely agree on the need for this. It would be a huge timesaver nd help the Knowledge base users.

I'll even add a little piece to this if it hasn't been mentioned yet: When jumping to a header/section of the article, a floating icon should appear at the bottom of the screen to quickly jump back to the top.

JoLo_1205
Participant

Any update on this, HubSpot?