HubSpot Ideas

lrn24

Task Due Date Time

When creating a task, it defaults to being due at 5 pm. There is no way to change the default for this. You need to manually change every task which is time-consuming. There should be an option for default this time to one of your choosing. 

HubSpot Updates
May 03, 2021 02:52 PM

@Anonymous though it was intentionally left out initially, we are now working to have task creation preferences apply to follow up tasks as well, so no need to create a separate idea for it now. Stay tuned for that update coming soon. 

Delivered
April 28, 2021 07:28 AM

Hi All,

Now you can set your default due date/time and reminders for tasks created from the CRM. To do so, head to Settings>General>Tasks and set your preferences. 

For more information on how to set task creation defaults, see this knowledge article.

Thank you!

Scott

In Beta
April 15, 2021 06:45 AM

Hi HubSpot Community,

I am pleased to announce that now in beta are task creation defaults. This will enable you to customize your default due date, due time, and reminder when creating tasks through the CRM. If you're interested in getting beta access, please submit your information here

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 8.37.27 AM.png

Being Reviewed
March 18, 2021 05:53 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for the spirited discussion around this one -- all points have been well made. We are actively working on a solution that will enable you to set your own custom default due date and reminder for tasks. As soon as it is ready for beta, I will post again here. 

Thanks for your patience,

Scott

Being Reviewed
April 28, 2020 06:56 AM

Hi HubSpot Community,

Thanks for the thoughtful commentary on this particular idea. We've since changed the default task due time to be 8:00 am. 

We are also working to remove the "Due Time" requirement from tasks altogether. This will make it such that tasks only need a "Due Date" but not a "Due Time". I am changing the status of this idea to Being Reviewed as our team scopes out this work. 

Thank you,

Scott

January 14, 2019 10:55 AM

Sorry to hear about the frustration. One thing I wanted to clarify, it seems there's been a little confusion between what the due date and the reminder date are doing.

For the comment "Who wants to be reminded of the tasks they were supposed to do that day just before they're about to go home"

The reminder date/time is separate from the due date/time. For example, by default the task is set to be due at 5pm, and the reminder to be sent at 8am. In this case, you would be reminded at 8am, not 5pm. 

The idea behind setting the default due date to 5pm was that you give yourself until the typical end of business day before that task is considered overdue. If the time was set to say 8am, as soon as the start of business, your task would be in red and considered overdue. 

At any rate, we've been getting similar feedback from customers in other channels, and we are going to change the default time from 5pm to 8am.

As to having the ability to set a default time, this is something our team can look into. 

Thanks for bringing up your feedback. 

176 Replies
WR

When I schedule a task automatically after an email or a call, it forces me to have 8 am as the follow-up time.

It is not yet possible to customize the default time at which a task would be due - as mentioned, the default is currently set to 8:00 AM for all portals.

It would be great to choose a default time inside my work hours. Like 9 am instead of it always auto choosing 8 am and then manually having to adjust. 

realizeit
Top Contributor

When I make a call & want to follow up, I create a Task in HS. It would be helpful & save time if the TIME part would auto-default to my current time. So for example, I create a Task and it's 11:30 am. I'd like the time to Auto-populate for 11:30 am.

Another idea on tasks would be to create Custom Tasks (in a dropdown), that I could preset. So, for instance, I select Custom Task ONE and I'd have it preset to call again in 5 working days at the same time. If I select Custom Task TWO, it would be preset to call again in 2 weeks at the same time. I could then click in the task to change day/time manually if desired. This would certainly streamline my task setting processes.

hka

When we create a task for future, lets say using the options of "In 2 business days" or "In 3 business days" and do NOT set a time on the task, the default time is set to 8:00 am.

The problem this causes is that when you look at the task list on the due date past 8:00 am, the 'Next Activity Date' column does NOT show the date or time but just shows "-".

As a manager, this gives me an impression that the next task has not been created for this contact (lead).

If we can control setting up of the default time and set it to 8:00 pm (say) by default, then the problem would go away.

8:00 am is well before start of our day. Setting it to 8:00 pm which is past our office hours would be just fine as a default.

We understand that we can set an explicit time on the task, but we would prefer not doing it at the time of creating the task. Our workflow is to create the task for a day and not set a time at the time of task creation. On the due date of our tasks, we go plan out the times of each of the task at the start of our day.

roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team

Hey @hka it is not currently possible to change the default Task time. I would reccommend working with your teams to ensure specific task times are met. 

StephanyWHP
Contributor

It would be great if you could set default parameters for the "create a follow up task" in general where you can set a default Name, Task Type and Due Time as needed, or even have templates to choose from for different task types. So when you click "Create a follow up Task" there's a drop down and you can pick a template from there and not have to go back and manually edit everything. 

I find myself avoiding the "Create a Follow Up Task" option because I often have to edit everything about it anyway. 

annaishizeki
HubSpot Employee

Currently when a task is created on the task dashboard, the default time of the task "due date" is sent to 8:00AM. 

It would be great if we could change this default time (ie: to 9:00AM) depending on business needs. 

Flo1

Take my upvote, great idea! I need that.

SaCas

Yes it would be great to be able to change this default time to a later time!  8am is not a good time for a reminder.

raytorres13

Our offices do not open till 9am. Having all my notification reminders come in at 8:00am when I am not even in the office or working is very annoying. Is there still no way to change the default time this tasks are due?

uncledoodah
Participant

If I set a task for myself without specifying the due time, the system seems to assume that it is due at 12:00 AM that day. I suggest that the task be considered due by end of day, not the first second of that day. No one sets a task to be due tomorrow and expects to have it done by 12:00 AM.

This impacts our user experience two ways:

1. I like to start knocking out activities by first tackling any "Overdue" tasks. However, these tasks that are assumed to be due at 12:00 AM are polluting my view of my ACTUAL overdue tasks.
  2. The "Next Activity Date" property on the Contact record shows as "Unknown" if the next activity record is overdue. I want to use this property as a filter for a Contact list view to show me Contacts that are "In Progress" but are missing open tasks/activities to remind me to FUP. However, it is also pulling in Contacts that DO have an open tasks, but are simply overdue.

The only workaround seems to be to set a due time for literally every task/reminder that I set, which is not an ideal user experience. Simply changing the assumed due time to be 11:59 PM will solve this.

edjusten
HubSpot Employee

Hi @uncledoodah  While I can certainly understand your use case here, our expreince shows that most users will set a task date and time. The system needs a time/date stamp to determine when a task is overdue, so it is impossible to clear that factor out. 

A good workaround would be to have the ability to set a default time for all tasks (ie: 6am the next day) as an option. 

I'm going to move this to our ideas forum for futher comment. 

Thank you,

Ed Justen

uncledoodah
Participant

Ed,

Thanks for the information, and I understand that the system needs a timestamp for detecting overdue tasks.

But for users like me who prefer to just set the date and avoid the added step of choosing a time, wouldn't it make sense for the system to simply assume a PM timestamp rather than AM?

cmulcahey
Participant

Similar to what's been written here, I simply wish there was an option to set the time.  You can currently set the date of your follow-up task and you should be able to set the time too.

JaeVee

Leaving the default time as 08:00pm is not sufficient. On average, the peak time for morning sales calls is 10am. My whole team has agreed 10am would be a much more suitable "default" time.

rdk

We start 7am or earlier so would be much better if the default was 1am so we have a reminder in the emails when we start work

Finnspin

Not on this, but setting defaults for the task email really should be a feature.  The fact that it defaults to SPAM users, rather than default to NOT spam users is a bit strange given the nature of the company is trying to limit spam. Additionally, we want to use a tool that is designed to get away from email.  Now, of course, some people like an email reminder because they are stuck in there ways.  But the reason to use a platform like hubspot is to get OUT of the old paradigm. However, the inability to override this defaul is baffling.  At least give it the feature of remember the last setting.  Then you don't even need to desing a new UI. 

Thanks!

BHAgile

Understand you cannot change the hardwired 8 am start time....how about the default # of days for follow up? We are set at 3 days and each and every time I try to setup a task, I have to pulldown the link, use a custom date. Too many steps to flow well for prospecting. 

Can we change default follow up days?

Fdiaz
Participant

I agree that it is absolutely necessary to change the default hour of the tasks.

eloyd
Participant

Also, we'd like to customize the dates for our sales cycles.  <=5 days is just not "right" for us.  We need one week, one month, 2 months, 3 months.  Why can't we do this?

toxnotuser

This would be really helpful. I am also confused why it says solved. Is there a way to do this?  I was searching for how to change the standard task reminder time in Toxnot and I could only find this conversation.