Structured Data for SEO

My idea is to grant users the ability to set-up "structured data" on blog posts to help with SEO.

Structured data is a system of pairing a name with a value that helps search engines categorize and index your content. Microdata is one form of structured data that works with HTML5. Schema.org is a project that provides a particular set of agreed-upon definitions for microdata tags.

Structured data seems to matter more often now with search engines and help boost SEO. 

HubSpot updates
Structured Data for SEOHubSpot Product Team
changed to: In Planning
02-05-2019

49 Replies
GTROGAN78
New Contributor

It is a no brainer at this point. The marketplace and SEO are obviously changing rapidly and Hubspot should get onboard. When working on client’s WordPress sites I am in envy of the ease of Schema / JSON between Yoast, etc. It should be part of the on boarding process and built it not just on the blogs but across the entire CMS where appropriate. At times it makes me wonder if they are loosing a step. There seems to be a lot of data issues Lately when it comes to their analytics and reporting. 

Jon_Sasala
Regular Contributor

@Datalink_Donna if you added the JSON+LD to the blog header, "headline" and other elements that are present on all blog posts ( author, date published, description ) are accounted for. No need to wrap the title in a div. 

To confirm this tag is being picked up, check your declarations here - https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool

The sample @Crystal_Hopper posted above is an example of object-specific declarations. Those things do need to be added to individual posts on a case by case basis. Crystal, thanks for the warning that code may be dropped if you use elements other than spans and divs.

Datalink_Donna
Occasional Contributor

Hi, @Jon_Sasala and @Crystal_Hopper - I'm afraid I'm going to drive you guys a little bit crazy over this.

I added some structured data to our most recent blog post, using the <span> example that Crystal shared the other day. It passed the Google validator, so I'm hopeful I got it right. 

Now, I'm moving on to retroactively add data to some of the pages on our website. Our home page uses a template that has modules for images and videos - I can't get into the HMTL view to wrap it with code from the Edit screen. Can I do that in the actual HubL template?

brutalmediaben
New Contributor

I agree wholeheartedly! I was just looking for a way of adding my markup to all of my blog posts!

It would be great if the Article rich card schema would be used for all Blog posts automatically!

brutalmediaben
New Contributor

this was bugging me so much I went and tinkered with the code until I get to an OK solution. If you go to your Blog settings and click on the Templates tab, you can paste in the below code into all of your blog post headers:

Make sure you update the name of your organisation as well as the logo URL and you should be good to go!

<script type="application/ld+json">
{
"@context": "http://schema.org",
"@type": "NewsArticle",
"mainEntityOfPage": {
"@type": "WebPage"
},
"headline": "{{ page_meta.name }}",
"image": [
"{{ content.featured_image }}"
],
"datePublished": "{{ content.publish_date|datetimeformat('%B %e, %Y') }}",
"author": {
"@type": "Person",
"name": "{{ content.blog_post_author.display_name }}"
},
"publisher": {
"@type": "Organization",
"name": "Brutal Media",
"logo": {
"@type": "ImageObject",
"url": "https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/3327353/Logo/Transparent%20background%20logo.png"
}
},
"description": "{{ group.description }}"
}
</script>

petras
Regular Contributor

Dear all, schema and structured data are very important. Please incorporate the feature on HubSpot.

rhgraves65 New Contributor | Platinum Partner
New Contributor | Platinum Partner

Wondering if there are any updates from HubSpot to this request.

We are trying to add this to our site as well as our clients' sites and so far not having much success. 

sgraci
Occasional Contributor

Hey everyone, would love to see this features as well. Would be huge especially for mobile first and amp pages.

bruceayerman
Occasional Contributor

Can data be structured in this way using Data Highligher in Google Search Console?

Jon_Sasala
Regular Contributor

Yes, @bruceayerman, you can also use Data Highlighter in Google Search Console. This could need to be done for every page on a page by pages basis and you are limited to only a few Schema Libraries (Local Business, Article, Book Review, Event...) but certainly easy to use and publish.

I would actually recommend using Data Highlighter for very special, unique content, and the site-wide schema found here for the broader application.