HubSpot Ideas

BrianDunn

Structured Data for SEO

My idea is to grant users the ability to set-up "structured data" on blog posts to help with SEO.

Structured data is a system of pairing a name with a value that helps search engines categorize and index your content. Microdata is one form of structured data that works with HTML5. Schema.org is a project that provides a particular set of agreed-upon definitions for microdata tags.

Structured data seems to matter more often now with search engines and help boost SEO. 

80 Kommentare
donrua
Stratege/Strategin

Hey guys, are there any examples or guides for adding FAQ schema to a single blog post? I'm not a developer, but can plug in source code where necessary if there's a clearly defined example to work from.

And would I need to modify the global css, or can all of what is needed for FAQ schema exist on the one FAQ blog post? I originally had the post working with WPress+yoast, but when transferring to Hubspot the schema neutralized.

Can't believe Hubspot brands as an SEO/Inbound solution, but has been unresponsive to the structured data need that's at least 5 years old now. Communication is king. I know I was using microdata on blogs in 2000, that's 20 years ago.

abourdon
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

If you're using Wordpress hosting, you can use something like Schema Pro. I prefer SP because of the level of control it gives me, but if you aren't as tech savvy, or don't have time to do a lot of setup, other 3rd party Wordpress plugins include the basics (typically FAQ, Video, Service, & Article schemas). If you're using Hubspot for your website hosting, your options may be more limited. Check the Hubspot Marketplace to see if there are any decent options there. It's that little "storefront" icon at the top right next to the "gear" settings button when you're logged into Hubspot.

donrua
Stratege/Strategin

Thanks abourdon. We were on WP, and I easily added schema left and right. We migrated the site to Hubspot but did not find any good tools/plugins fo rmanaging schema with HS. I heard HS is working on a solution, but people have been calling for it on forum for at least 2 years. (and it's 20 year old digital marketing technology)

Jon_Sasala
Stratege/Strategin | Diamond Partner

@donrua if you are looking to add sitewide schema to a HubSpot website, we have a template here you can use.

Let me know if you need any help adding it to your site.

abourdon
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

@Jon_Sasala thanks for posting that info. While it's not an ideal solution (no dynamic generation), it should get the job done for most simple landing and blog pages, which is what the majority of people are problably dealing with at the sole proprietor and small business level. Larger companies and those dealing with ecommerce should probably stick to more automated solutions. 

Jon_Sasala
Stratege/Strategin | Diamond Partner

For larger organizations, especially eCommerce, I would suggest checking out Huckabuy. They provide dynamically generated schema that is then manually managed. The founder originally created this for overstock.com and is now using it for many large enterprise-level clients. 

In addition to structured data, they have a Cloud SEO product that will blow your mind. It renders a flat HTML version of your website, striping out bloat, and serves it to search engines. Vastly increases crawl percentage, discoverability and ranking.

abourdon
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

I'll check it out for future reference. I'm not integrating with any ecommerce platforms right now, relying on Schema.Press and YoastSEO on Wordpress. That combo works great for largely static content, but it probably wouldn't scale well beyond a moderately sized ecommerce website.

Status aktualisiert zu: In Planning
lpleva
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hi all,

Our engineering teams are actively working on making it easier to add structure markup to HubSpot-hosted blogs posts. We are starting with adding the ability to specify JSON-LD in the blog post <head> section (see this idea for more information). 

As soon as we have an update available, I'll be sure to update this post. 

Cheers,

Lukas

abourdon
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Thanks @lpleva!

donrua
Stratege/Strategin

Thanks for the update Ipleva. Communication is king.

ingramleedy
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Hi All,

I've tried adding the BlogPosting schema to the header of our blog site, and using the "Google Structured Data Testing Tool" all looks good.

However, when using Google Rich Result Test or Search Console URL testing, I get an error "Page not Eligible" or when I use the siteside Organization schema, it will detect that, but not "BlogPosting" schema.

After digging and digging, I found this article from Google,  https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/7445569?hl=en#supported_types    which says what supported types are supported, and there is no support for Article or BlogPosting schema (yet).

Oh and then there is AMP.  I have this turned on for HubSpot blog pages. But I've tried toggling that on and off to see if there is a difference.    Now AMP does show as a feature enhancement when its enabled.     I question whether I want this on or not now?? Any opinions here?

Am I missing something with this whole "BlogPosting" schema?  My blog site is, https://blog.protectedtrust.com/  pick any article if you want to see the current schema.

Thanks!

ingramleedy
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Oh, and I saw this article: (https://www.hallaminternet.com/add-article-schema-markup-to-blog-posts/)

• The blog post’s image has to be a minimum of 700 pixels wide
  • Within the Publisher section, the logo of your business has to be 550 pixels wide x 60 pixels high (this is not the case in regular Organization schema – only when you add it within article schema)

So, and I made sure that the logos and such met this.  

And and Google has a guideline for this too for Articles , AMP.   This again really confuses me, is it AMP or Article in this article, https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/article

AMP logo guidelinesNote: These logo guidelines apply to the Article structured data placed on individual AMP pages. For guidelines about the Logo markup that apply to the actual logo of a site, see the Logo markup documentation.

The following guidelines apply to logos for all AMP pages, including AMP stories.

• The file format must be supported by Google Images.
  • Don't use animation.
  • The graphic part of the logo should be legible on the background color.

The following guidelines apply to logos used for general AMP pages, not AMP stories. There are different logo requirements for AMP stories.

• The logo must be a rectangle, not a square.
  • The logo should fit in a 60x600px rectangle, and either be exactly 60px high (preferred), or exactly 600px wide. For example, 450x45px would not be acceptable, even though it fits within the 600x60px rectangle.

donrua
Stratege/Strategin

I kept getting an error on my blog schema testing for the logo. Then I replaced the .svg logo file with png, and it works. I read on another thread that the blog schema, or at least google's testing of it, may not accept svg at this time.

abourdon
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

@donrua I would recommend avoiding SVG for anything that isn't a clear-cut, mainstream application (ie using it for human visible diagrams and logos on your site). I know it's not always as efficient, but true SVG adoption across all/almost all platforms and applications isn't there yet, unfortunately. Stick with .PNG or .JPEG.

In regards to schema, one thing to be aware of is that Google is intentionally or accidentally forcing a fork. There are several schema.org elements that Google isn't recognizing (whether to use SVGs, the COVID-19 Notice type, various Event objects are some I'm aware of). Until Google better supports the open standard (or the standard bends to Google), you'll have to pick your battles.

For my own personal sites, I go with the official standard because I don't like corporate-induced forks to open standards. Remember how bad the old days were when Internet Explorer and Netscape did their own thing? For anything where I'm getting paid to provide maximum performance for the customer, I'd have to bend to Google's requirements. It's the right thing for the customer, at least for the time being.

Sjardo
Stratege/Strategin | Elite Partner

Any updates?

I now created custom JSON markup that loads dynamic fields for my whole site and blog. 

If you need my snippet, let me know.

Status aktualisiert zu: Delivered
lpleva
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hi all,

A little bit of a delayed update here, but just wanted to note you can now easily add custom HTML into the <head> section of individual blog posts. This makes it possible to add structured markup, such as JSON-LD schema, for each post. Click here to learn more.

Any questions/comments/concerns, please let us know. 

Thanks!

Lukas Pleva

Product Manager, CMS Hub

Sjardo
Stratege/Strategin | Elite Partner

hi @lpleva 

As far as i know, it does not support HUBL code or any variables from the post. 

With that in mind, we have to "create" a custom snippet for each post. That's not user friendly and many clients and college's will make mistakes.

Thanks 🙂

Sjardo

AGriezmen
Mitglied

Structure Data and Schema setup is really important for website Page SEO. It helps Google to understand the page intent.

EzkrtUAE
Mitglied

Your idea of allowing users to set up "structured data" for blog posts to improve SEO is a good one. Structured data, often implemented using schema markup, is a way to provide search engines with additional information about the content on your website. This helps search engines understand the context and relevance of your content, leading to potentially higher visibility and better rankings in search results.

EzkrtUAE
Mitglied

Structured data, also known as schema markup, is a specific type of code added to a webpage's HTML that helps search engines understand the content and context of the information on the page. It provides additional context and metadata about the content, allowing search engines to present more informative and visually appealing search results to users. In essence, structured data helps search engines "understand" the content on a webpage in a more structured and organized manner.

Structured data is used to enhance search engine optimization (SEO) by:

1. Rich Snippets: Structured data enables search engines to display enhanced search results, known as rich snippets. These snippets may include additional information like star ratings, reviews, event details, recipe information, product prices, and more. Rich snippets can attract more clicks and improve the visibility of your content in search results.

2. Knowledge Graph: Structured data can contribute to search engines' knowledge graphs, which are used to provide instant answers to specific queries. When search engines understand the relationships between different pieces of information on your page, they can display more relevant information in knowledge panels.

3. Voice Search and Featured Snippets: With the rise of voice search, structured data helps search engines understand content in a way that's suitable for voice-based queries. It also increases the chances of your content being featured in "Position 0" or featured snippets, which often appear at the top of search results.

4. Local SEO: For businesses with physical locations, structured data can provide location information, business hours, reviews, and other relevant details. This helps improve visibility in local search results and map listings.

5. E-commerce: Structured data can enhance product listings in search results, displaying important details such as product prices, availability, and reviews directly in the search snippet.