HubSpot Ideas

karstenkoehler

Strict view only permissions for users (restrict access to all tools)

Hello product team,

Currently it's not possible to create an actual "look but don't touch" account for users who should have view only access.

The documentation makes it sound like that's possible but users without sales access, for example, are still able to connect their calendar, create meeting links and create a source of contacts which is not governed by the marketing team. In companies where there is already a CRM and the topic of a CRM introduction/migration is political, this is highly problematic.

I understand that this is supposed to be a viral loop but especially in Enterprise portals, there needs to be the ability to lock down all tools.

Use case: Companies that don't use HubSpot as their CRM sometimes still need to give sales reps view only permissions for contacts so that they can access the marketing timeline of a contact. In these companies the use of HubSpot is usually very strictly limited to marketing. Sales reps should not be using the CRM functionalities. Still, at the moment sales users could connect their calendar and create contacts.

Thanks in advance!

HubSpot Updates
August 11, 2022 02:27 PM

Hi all! I'm Flora, a product manager working on permissions and users. 

We just added a new default permission set  to create users with View Only permissions. Let me know any thoughts or feedback! 

5 Replies
YiRui_Chua
HubSpot Employee

Hi team,

Same as above.

For example, currently, it is a "basic level of CRM access to create records". Would be great if we can restrict that. Also, to the point here, if we can separate contacts and companies properties, that would be great. There may be times where we wish to allow a user to edit contact but not company records.

Thank you!

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner

Thanks for adding that, @YiRui_Chua, agreed!

SteveArmitage
Participant

I have a slight variation on this: I want our users to be able to view and edit existing records, but not create new ones.

Our specific issue is accounts - and duplicates being created. Where HubSpot is great at identifying duplicate contacts, it's harder to identify duplicate accounts.

Flora
HubSpot Product Team

Hi all! I'm Flora, a product manager working on permissions and users. 

We just added a new default permission set  to create users with View Only permissions. Let me know any thoughts or feedback! 

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @Flora, thank you for the update!

Users are still able to connect their calendars and create records, for example, correct?

In the HubSpot portals I'm managing, we're really looking for a permission set that has 100% view permissions and doesn't provide access to any tool which might create or change records.

Thank you for working on this!