La communauté HubSpot est disponible en français.

Stop contacts being added automatically after sending Gmail email

Hi guys

I'm using the Gmail integration and love all the features EXCEPT the one that automatically creates a new contact within HubSpot CRM everytime I send an email to anyone not yet in the CRM from my Gmail account.

Is there a way to switch off just this one feature without losing any of the other integrations. All I have tried so far is unticking the 'Log In CRM' check box in the email compser window.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

HubSpot updates
49 Commentaires
Gestionnaire de communauté

Hi @IgniteMarketing,

The Log in CRM fuctionality is in fact what causes new contacts to be created in your CRM. WHen the "log in CRM" box is unchecked, this will prevent emails from being logged, and thus contacts from being created when they do not yet exist in the CRM.

Is there a specific reason why you did not want to just uncheck the Log in CRM box to prevent these contacts from being created? At this time, there is no alternative solution, but it might be useful for us to know for the future if you have a specific use case that prevents you from simply unchecking the "log in crm" box.

May

wimet
Nouveau contributeur

Hi! I have a question related to this topic. Is there anyway I can keep this emails tracking and contacts private just for my user?

Hi @wimet, so the EMail Tracking and Email Logging features are meant to be displayed in two places: your personal Activity Stream, which is only visible to you as a user, and the related contacts' timelines. For example, if you send a tracked and logged email to a contact, you will see the email open activity in your Activity Stream, and you will also see the logged email in the contact's timeline, with an additional activity if they have opened said email.

If you don't want anyone else to be looking at these types of activities, you could change the permissions of the users in your portal so that they can only see contacts that they own. This article explains how to change these permissions. In that case, only you will be able to see your contacts' timelines and the activities associated with them.

There is also a widget on the Sales dashboard called "Recent Activity" which will show sent and logged emails as well, but you can remove this widget from your dashboard if you don't want it to display this information to other users in your portal. 

May

VineyardPaul
Contributeur occasionnel

@maypascaud wrote:

Hi @IgniteMarketing,

The Log in CRM fuctionality is in fact what causes new contacts to be created in your CRM. WHen the "log in CRM" box is unchecked, this will prevent emails from being logged, and thus contacts from being created when they do not yet exist in the CRM.

Is there a specific reason why you did not want to just uncheck the Log in CRM box to prevent these contacts from being created? At this time, there is no alternative solution, but it might be useful for us to know for the future if you have a specific use case that prevents you from simply unchecking the "log in crm" box.

May

Is it the same reasons for tracked emails? Can I leave the "track" box checked, but not have them added to the CRM?

Hi @VineyardPaul, yes, there are two boxes: "track" and "log". If you check only the "track" box and not the "log" box, your emails will be tracked and not logged (they will not appear in the CRM).

VineyardPaul
Contributeur occasionnel

@maypascaud wrote:

Hi @VineyardPaul, yes, there are two boxes: "track" and "log". If you check only the "track" box and not the "log" box, your emails will be tracked and not logged (they will not appear in the CRM).

Thank you Maypascaud,

I am trying to work out how to NOT add contacts to the CRM, but still "track" an email. Is possible?

Cheers

@VineyardPaul as I mentioned in my previous response, if you do not check the "log" box, emails will not be logged, and so contacts will not be added to the CRM. Here is what this looks like:

VineyardPaul
Contributeur occasionnel

Hi 

Hi @VineyardPaul, I think that there must be a misunderstanding here.

As I have stated a couple of times in my previous response, there are two main features in the HubSpot Sales email extension: Log in CRM and Email Tracking

This article explain the Log in CRM feature: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/email/how-to-log-your-email-in-the-crm-using-hubs...

This article explains the Email Tracking feature: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/email-tracking/how-to-send-a-tracked-email

When you send out an email from Gmail with the "track" box checked, your email will be tracked. When you send out an email through Gmail with the "log" box checked, your email will be logged. When you send out an email through Gmail with the "track" and "log" boxes both checked, your email will be tracked and logged.

Checking the "log" box causes a contact to be created in the CRM if they do not exist already. If this box is not checked, a contact will not be created.

Therefore, it is possible to send an email that is tracked to a contact not in the CRM, and not have that contact added to the CRM, by sending an email from Gmail and checking the "track" box but not the "log" box. 

Please read this response carefully, as well as the articles I have included, and test this out in your own emails. If you encounter any issues after doing so, you can let us know.

simonvdd
Nouveau contributeur

Agreed, this is a pain in the ***.

You don't send only sales emails through your GMail account. And whenever you forget to uncheck the "Log in CRM" box, you end up adding dozens of irrelevant/unwanted contacts to the CRM... :/