HubSpot Ideas

IgniteMarketing

Stop contacts being added automatically after sending Gmail email

Hi guys

I'm using the Gmail integration and love all the features EXCEPT the one that automatically creates a new contact within HubSpot CRM everytime I send an email to anyone not yet in the CRM from my Gmail account.

Is there a way to switch off just this one feature without losing any of the other integrations. All I have tried so far is unticking the 'Log In CRM' check box in the email compser window.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Actualizaciones de HubSpot
Estado actualizado a: Delivered
January 26, 2021 10:27 AM

Hello,

Thank you everyone for your help and feedback during the product development process.

This functionality is now live to all Chrome Extension users and we have documentation on this here: 
https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/track-and-log-emails-with-the-hubspot-sales-chrome-exte...

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/customize-your-hubspot-sales-chrome-extension-default-c...

Let m know if there are any other ongoing questions and feel free to reach me at flora@hubspot.com

Best,

Flora

September 28, 2020 12:27 PM

Hello Berwyn,

Thanks for reaching out- my email is flora@hubspot.com, in your first message it was misspelled.

Reachout with your HubID and I will add you to the beta. This beta has been implemented within the past year so the fucntionality will have changed from then. The setting for "New Contacts" can be found in the settings after the beta is ungated- orange sprocket circle in the top bar of Gmail. Looking forward to your email and let me know how else I can help.

Best,

Flora

August 21, 2020 08:56 AM

Hello Omari,

For shared Team Inboxes, we have filters (https://knowledge.hubspot.com/conversations/set-up-email-filters-in-your-conversations-inbox) to help catch these emails and filtered emails will not create new contacts. Let me know if this helps and I have passed this feedback to the team that works on Conversations.

Best,

Flora

Estado actualizado a: In Beta
August 18, 2020 11:19 AM

Hello everyone,

My name is Flora Wang and I am the Product Manager for the Chrome Extension at HubSpot. 

I wanted to clarfiy a couple of different topics discussed on the thread so far.

1) Incoming emails are not automatically logged into HubSpot unless the inbox is connected to a shared inbox. (More info here https://knowledge.hubspot.com/conversations/create-a-conversations-inbox#connect-a-team-email-channel in the "Connect a team email channel" section.)

2) We want to help users log the right information into the CRM and the intention is not to drive up the cost of HubSpot- I understand if we have not executed this well in the past and we are trying to improve upon this. 

3) We have implemented a setting to allow you to refine which objects should be associated when you are logging an email. This is in beta and please email me at flora@hubspot.com if you would like to be included in the beta! 

When "New Contacts" is de-selected, new contacts will not be created in the CRM when you are responding to emails with new contacts in the thread. You can still select other associations with this new feature, the setting is for a default.

Selecting default association and contact creationSelecting default association and contact creation

Please let me know if this helps clarify and I am always happy to chat and get feedback! Send me an email at flora@hubspot.com and let's set up some time.

Best,

Flora

74 Comentarios
Millerd
Miembro

I am outstanding a response from HS and this thread is intended for INBOUND messages, so you are in the right place. I await feedback from them still on this.

OmairH
Colaborador

Hi Millerd, thank you.

The method you mentioned is for out-going emails. I want HS to stop creating new contacts for all incoming emails.

With over 100+ spam emails, its driving me nuts to delete contacts every few hours in order to keep the CRM clean.

Millerd
Miembro

Hi Omair, can you confirm this so I can go back to them

as I said I have been chasing this but have not had a response yet

OmairH
Colaborador

Millerd, I can confirm what you mentioned works for out-going emails but not INBOUND emails.

berwynhoyt
Participante

Hubspot has not addressed this for years and years. As a result we have never been able to use their gmail plugin.

It's probably only about 1 to 5 lines of code for them to fix it. Pseudo-code would look like this:

• if dbase.lookup(email_address) is not None:
  •      add_email_to_crm_log(email_address, email_content)

I'm really baffled as to why they won't fix it.

Estado actualizado a: In Beta
Flora
Equipo de producto de HubSpot

Hello everyone,

My name is Flora Wang and I am the Product Manager for the Chrome Extension at HubSpot. 

I wanted to clarfiy a couple of different topics discussed on the thread so far.

1) Incoming emails are not automatically logged into HubSpot unless the inbox is connected to a shared inbox. (More info here https://knowledge.hubspot.com/conversations/create-a-conversations-inbox#connect-a-team-email-channe... in the "Connect a team email channel" section.)

2) We want to help users log the right information into the CRM and the intention is not to drive up the cost of HubSpot- I understand if we have not executed this well in the past and we are trying to improve upon this. 

3) We have implemented a setting to allow you to refine which objects should be associated when you are logging an email. This is in beta and please email me at flora@hubspot.com if you would like to be included in the beta! 

When "New Contacts" is de-selected, new contacts will not be created in the CRM when you are responding to emails with new contacts in the thread. You can still select other associations with this new feature, the setting is for a default.

Selecting default association and contact creationSelecting default association and contact creation

Please let me know if this helps clarify and I am always happy to chat and get feedback! Send me an email at flora@hubspot.com and let's set up some time.

Best,

Flora

OmairH
Colaborador

Hi @Flora,

I really appreciate how HS is working hard towards providing its community with requested features.

1/. What about SPAM messages that are received in the Team Inbox? All email addressess are prone to receiving SPAM, moreso the ones that are public facing (info@ or sales@ or support@) as these are mentioned not just on the website but other public forums & social media. We are getting over 100 spam messages and all these are being added as contacts. This is resulting in creating a mess in contacts that needs to be sorted everyday, taking precious time of admins when this time could be spent doing other productive things. Perhaps, a simple checkbox at the time of adding a team Inbox would finish our frustrations with HS that asks if all incoming emails should be added as Contacts if they do not exist in HS.

Do you have such feature in works?

Flora

Hello Omari,

For shared Team Inboxes, we have filters (https://knowledge.hubspot.com/conversations/set-up-email-filters-in-your-conversations-inbox) to help catch these emails and filtered emails will not create new contacts. Let me know if this helps and I have passed this feedback to the team that works on Conversations.

Best,

Flora

OmairH
Colaborador

Hi @Flora,

Thanks for reaching out.

I am using filters to keep out emails from 21 domains. However, my problem is SPAM that I cannot control which keeps adding to my contact list. I will really appreciate if something can be done to keep seeing a list of contacts generated from SPAM every morning.

Thanks,

Omair

berwynhoyt
Participante

Hi @Flora,

Your links do not work. I have been trying for a long time to sign up to your beta program for the fix you allude to for this. I signed up to your beta form some time ago and I also emailed you using the email address you gave.

The email address you gave flora@hubpsot.com does not work. It bounces with the following message:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

flora@hubpsot.com
    retry timeout exceeded

berwynhoyt
Participante

Hi Flora,

Since the email address you gave bounces, I'm going to re-send my email here. Are you able to clarify the following for me please? You say:

1) Incoming emails are not automatically logged into HubSpot unless the inbox is connected to a shared inbox. (More info here https://knowledge.hubspot.com/conversations/create-a-conversations-inbox#connect-a-team-email-channe... in the "Connect a team email channel" section.)

This was not the case previously when I and others tested it a year ago. I'm using a personal email, not a shared inbox. And lots of new contacts got created in hubspot for personal contacts and my emails with them got logged in hubspot. Are you saying this has changed?

3) We have implemented a setting to allow you to refine which objects should be associated when you are logging an email. This is in beta and please email me at flora@hubpsot.com if you would like to be included in the beta! 

Yes, I would like to try the beta, please. Your email address does not work.

Can you give us a couple of screenshots to show how you get to the "New Contacts" setting that you are talking about?
 I cannot find it.

Thanks,
Berwyn
Flora

Hello Berwyn,

Thanks for reaching out- my email is flora@hubspot.com, in your first message it was misspelled.

Reachout with your HubID and I will add you to the beta. This beta has been implemented within the past year so the fucntionality will have changed from then. The setting for "New Contacts" can be found in the settings after the beta is ungated- orange sprocket circle in the top bar of Gmail. Looking forward to your email and let me know how else I can help.

Best,

Flora

berwynhoyt
Participante

Hi Everyone,

The new beta does not work. It logged email to a non-existent contact even though I specifically told it not to.

It initially looks like it's going to work because the gmail addon says it's going to log to 0 records as follows:
hubspot-logging-beta-still-doesnt-work.jpg
But then it actually creates that contact in hubspot anyway (in this case non-esistent@message.com).

Estado actualizado a: Delivered
Flora

Hello,

Thank you everyone for your help and feedback during the product development process.

This functionality is now live to all Chrome Extension users and we have documentation on this here: 
https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/track-and-log-emails-with-the-hubspot-sales-chrome-exte...

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/customize-your-hubspot-sales-chrome-extension-default-c...

Let m know if there are any other ongoing questions and feel free to reach me at flora@hubspot.com

Best,

Flora