HubSpot Ideas

IgniteMarketing

Stop contacts being added automatically after sending Gmail email

Hi guys

I'm using the Gmail integration and love all the features EXCEPT the one that automatically creates a new contact within HubSpot CRM everytime I send an email to anyone not yet in the CRM from my Gmail account.

Is there a way to switch off just this one feature without losing any of the other integrations. All I have tried so far is unticking the 'Log In CRM' check box in the email compser window.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

74 Commentaires
Matt108
Participant

I think what the OP wants (and what I want) is for emails to be logged in the CRM under any contacts that exist, and not create new contacts if they don't exist.

For example: I might be happily emailing back and forth with a contact. Then suddenly they or I decide to copy in 100 other people. I still want the email logged in CRM under my contact but I don't want the 100 new contacts created in CRM.

You may say that I can tick or untick the "Log in CRM" box but, as I understand it, this doesn't help if contacts I don't want are also on the email chain or where I don't know if the contact is already on CRM or not (generally if they are I do want it logged, if they are not I don't).

Communitylearn
Membre

I am very upset.  I have the Hubspot extension turned on for my work gmail account .  I DID NOT have it turned on for my personal gmail account which I also have open in my browser.  I have now discovered that you have been copying my personal contacts into Hubspot. 

1) This is a gross invasion of my privacy for my personal contacts to end up in my work hubspot account.

2) This is taking up our company Hubspot contacts allowance and costing the company money

3) it is not GDPR compliant as I was not intending to store these personal contacts in Hubspot

4) my personal contacts may end up getting marketing from my company which is also in breach of GDPR

5) now I have to waste time trying to clean up which contacts of my own are in Hubspot

6) when I tried to turn off the extension completely in my personal inbox it now says 'thank you for signing in, in order to use tools and features you need to turn on Hubspot tools in your gmail inbox'.  I DID NOT SIGN IN AND I DO NOT WANT TO TURN ON HUBSPOT TOOLS IN MY PERSONAL GMAIL INBOX.  I AM SIGNED IN TO A DIFFERENT GMAIL ACCOUNT TO THE ONE THAT IS CONNECTED TO HUBSPOT.  I HAVE NEVER CONNECTED MY PERSONAL GMAIL ACCOUNT TO HUBSPOT.

7) My colleagues may see my personal contacts which is completely inappropriate.   I was emailing MY CHILD'S SCHOOL from my PERSONAL EMAIL ACCOUNT when I realised you had copied the TEACHER into hubspot WHEN I HAD NEVER ENABLED THE HUBSPOT EXTENSION AND WAS NOT SIGNED INTO IT.  

VineyardPaul
Membre

So after there has been no reply from Hubspot on this I have decided to leave Hubspot and am now using Streak for Gmail. Does everything I need...

Cheers

Berad
Membre

Would just like to add my voice to the throng which want this feature.  Any time I create a new contact I create them in Hubspot first anyway so I can log all their details so there is no need for me to have a contact created automatically when I email them from Gmail.  Not having this feature caused me countless clutter and in the end was so frustrating that I had to completely remove the extension.

jdelaree
Membre

Simply sounding off as well on this... sounds like 2 years in this is still not being considered by HS.

For us it's call's made through Kixie as well as emails where we forget to tick off the "log email" option on Gmail. One of my guys goes in twice a week and cleans out the mistakes of our sales organization. It's a royal pain, a waste of time, and truly has never served any benefit to our team; we are intentional about the people we add into the CRM, and this opens the door to problems when people have 'human moments' and make mistakes...

jaydenvecchio
Membre

+1 shocking this isnt a feature

calhouncole
Membre

Almost makes Hubspot data useless -- it can muddy the entire organization's data / reports with one email. Should have been implemented in v1 of Hubspot.

CANNOT believe that after 2 years of these complaints, there's no sign of any action being taken. We joined Hubspot a few months ago and are already regretting it.

LifeCovered
Participant

it is a problem that emails sent via the email client automatically are logged and contacts are created.

It puzzles me that HubSpot hasn't come up with a decent solution.

But the good news is there is a workaround.

By unticking the 'log' the email isn't stored in HB and isn't created as a contact.

We're in life insurance, and being able to record all client email for the purpose of compliance is vital. While other emails such as between staff etc don't need to be logged towards a client.

And so, we've decided to use the email client and untick the 'log' for emails that don't need recording. And using HB/create emails function within HB to communicate with clients.

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 9.01.00 pm.png

dnlpwrsellr
Membre

I am sorry, this is QUITE frustrating...

We receive all sorts of unsolicited email etc. - why would I want these added to my Hubspot contacts?
Why would I want them in my reports dashboard too?

How can we manually add our contacts?

Come on.

Muser
Membre

I'm not sure if this is the same request, but I would like Hubspot to only log emails from known contacts in the CRM. The reason is that I have lots of people email me, including confidential emails I don't want made visible to everyone in the CRM. 

I know that if I send an email and uncheck the log button, it doesn't log in the CRM. I also know that I can exclude a specific email address or domain in the settings so that it never logs emails from those people. The checkbox is only useful for stopping the logging of emails I sent, not those I receive (and also doesn't cover those cases where I sent from my phone or forget to uncheck the box). And, the email/domain exclusion is only useful if I am expecting emails from someone.

What I am looking for is a setting where, when enabled, the CRM only logs emails from my inbox that are existing contacts in the CRM, and does not create new contacts from emails of people not in the CRM. That way, if I have a confidential conversation with someone and give them my email address, and they email me, that email doesn't create a CRM contact and log the confidential email for everyone to see. 

This is important as someone who wears lots of hats including both sales, and confidential things like HR and legal. 

Thank you for your consideration!

Communitylearn
Membre

I turned off Log and Track in my inbox as my HR related info kept turning up in Hubspot and Hubspot have not got an acceptable solution for this.

We have literally had emails about people being made redundant end up in Hubspot for other employees to see.  I can't possibly have log and track on!

Even if you delete a contact from Hubspot when you realise there is a compromising email that has been recorded, and turn off log and track in gmail, if someone later opens the email you sent when you had log and track on, it will re-appear in Hubspot with the contact re-created!

So we have emails with titles abou redundancies, payrises etc pop up.

As a partial solution

If you go to Settings > Integrations > Email integrations > Log and track you can put in domains which should never be tracked.

I have in there my company's domain with an asterix eg *.domain.com so that emails between employees aren't tracked (yes really Hubspot, sales employees email each other about confidential things like Pay and personal issues!).  Why isn't this set as on by default so that interactions between employees aren't tracked?

I also have the payroll company, lawyers etc in don't track and log.  But the problem is you don't know who is going to email you or who you are going to email and you won't have disabled them here.  The email will end up in Hubspot.

So even though I turned off log and track and said don't log and track the payroll company, the payroll company changed their email domain without me noticing, and so their emails started turning up in Hubspot again.   And I have not had log and track on for a year!   

It is completely unacceptable from a GDPR point of view, let alone employee confidential information about illness etc.

Email titles that can be seen by other employees in the Activity Feed are enough for a massive breach of confidential information.

SjoerdK
Membre

Wow, we are testing various platforms to use as our CRM tool. 

During testing, hubspot started to create contacts from incoming newsletter messages. 

From the thread I understand there is no way to avoid this unless we cut tracking of emails. 

This discussion raises a few red flags for my business. 

1. GDPR concerns are not taken serious by Hubspot

2. Hubspot takes 2 years to resolve basic functionality requests like this one

3. Hubspot connects functionalities that seemingly have nothing to do with one another and forces you to either opt in or out of a group of connected functionalities. 

Very happy to see this now, before we need to make our final decision. 

Let's see how Zoho and Pipedrive score in this regard. 

drewshape
Membre

We've found the same issue and it shouldn't be too difficult to fix, really - so it's disappointing to see nothing has been done in 2 years.

I think users should have the option and decide wheather or not to create a new contact in the CRM.

deanburell
Membre

Easy fix, just give me the option.  If the contact does not exist and logging and/or tracking is turned on, prompt me whether I want to add them as a contact, if I say yes, add them as a contact and continue logging and tracking... if I say no. dont do anything and move on.

If you want to get fancy, ask me if I want to block that email address from being added in the future, and then you already know the answer to the above question.

Muser
Membre

I now understand why Hubspot doesn't add this feature: money! Hubspot charges for quantities of contacts in our database for their Marketing product, and so by automatically adding contacts to our CRMs, Hubspot is driving up our contact count so they can sell us more blocks of contacts. If they enable us to disable this feature, we'll have fewer contacts and they'll make less money.  So, if anyone is wondering why such a simple feature that's highly demanded by customers hasn't been implemented, I think we have our answer. 

DevonC
Participant

@Muser I came here to say this. It's clear that enabling this simple feature would significantly reduce the number of contacts created and thus have a direct impact on Hubspot's revenue. It's easy to surmise that this is why they haven't done it.

Anyone from Hubspot care to reply?

Millerd
Membre

100% AGREE !!! When can we expect this to be fixed

OmairH
Contributeur

I receive over 200 emails every day, 100+ are from companies marketing themselves (SPAM), 40 from services we use and 60 from customers. Every day by evening, our account is a mess from SPAM senders and service notification email addresses added as contact.

Simply providing a check button to add all email as contacts would work wonders with HS customers.

Millerd
Membre

Ok so apparently there is a fix for this, if you login via chrome/gmail (may be similar for Outlook plugins) you will now see an option under settings that allows you to remove default associations per the screenshot below. Basically this appears to only require you to remove the "new company" association.

I have seen a drop off in new contacts but would appreciate the community input here.

Millerd_0-1597658968238.png

OmairH
Contributeur

Hi Millerd,

Apologies as I must've posted the comment in the wrong window. My question was for all incoming emails and not out-going emails.