HubSpot Ideas

hhiggins

Shorten tracking URLs in marketing email

It would be beneficial for our customers if we had a way within our email tracking settings to somehow shorten the URLs that are created with the setting enabled. The tracking parameters added can be so long that some contacts who receive the emails may think the URLs are phishing or scam email at first glace, so if there were an option to shorten them but maintain tracking that we could offer, it would be an appreciated feature by our customers!

8 Replies
adodge
HubSpot Employee

Posting for a customer:

The query parameters added for tracking can sometimes create a lengthy tracking link that causes a 414 error. It is requested that we use a different method to shorten the hsenc to prevent website servers from possibly rejecting the URI. 

See example: 

https://example.com/chatbot-mythbusters-webinar-cxc/?utm_campaign=CX%20Event&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=...hsenc=p2ANqtz-_XsJRgWPe5idabEw5SSWm7rZMaN3NDJ5fMM7f7bYMJwS1OVwjTpFqFbtax4i3RInQB9Ju9rUCJadWnq9WD2iCtVxVZgU9ZBu59RLaxNu2ZrWuZzEc&utm_content=93949666&utm_source=hs_email

Rhett10X
Participant

Yes, this is much needed! 

The lengthy URLs are definitely problematic.

JA_SmoothTech

It would be great to remove the t.sidekick url to the receipients. I've had multiple clients confused over the t.sidekick url's, they think its a virus or malware.  

micheleplayfair

Also, it makes the HTML so long that Gmail cuts it off. Emails we have sent from other platforms containing sponsor information can no longer be sent from Hubspot and it's an issue as some sponsors get cut off and are obviously not happy about it!

DebRivero

YES and YES please.

Saigner

The long tracking URLs are causing email servers to put my emails in Other and Promotions folders, even though I have a completely plain text email. Please allow a way to reduce the size of the tracking links in emails so I can land in Inbox - this is a very important feature for anyone trying to optimize email open rates.

karenkaz
Participant

Completely agree. We suddenly started having our open rates tank for Gmail users and have narrowed the issue down to HTML file size. (For us the tipping point seems to be around 400KB, not 100KB as often suggested, but it's definitely happening.) We're adjusting our templates accordingly, but in testing we get surprised by a big jump in HTML file size when HS turns the links into tracking links. It's really hard to plan around, and hard to make this particular email smaller/shorter because it's a member newsletter with multiple pieces of content, not a promotional email with a single CTA. 

DebRivero

...And we sure do like multiple pieces of content in our emails, as they are the campaigns that get the most traction! Fingers crossed this feature gets done. 😍