HubSpot Ideas

VagaeNatus

Set Close Date Automatically when Deal Closes

Hi, 

When a Deal closes to either Won or Lost, the final Close Data is now known. Hence, it should be set automatically, as a time stamp on the day the deal either closes won or lost.

Adrien

11 Replies
JosieSA
Contributor

agree! 

Our API sets the close date at Won but when the sales team close a deal they have to do this step and it is annoying.

VagaeNatus
Key Advisor

@Hubspot: I am the one who created this idea but after few months, we realized the actual closed date can be different from the date the deal stage is moved to closed won for example. Hence, while I still believe the above feature is great, I now think it should be optional, an option in settings, to be defined for each pipeline.

Want close date to be set according to date deal stage is set to closed: {Yes/No}

VagaeNatus
Key Advisor

@Hubspot: otherwise, this could achieved by having deals entering workflows, and not only contacts.

VagaeNatus
Key Advisor

This idea can now be implemented with deal-based workflow. Must be considered delivered or delete it.

jennysowyrda
Community Manager

karinamariotti
Participant

I really wish this was an option and could be turned off. We do not want the close date to automatically be set to the day a stage is set to Closed Won or Closed Lost 

VagaeNatus
Key Advisor

@jennysowyrda: as mentionned above, the idea I submitted nearly 2 years was not good. Setting close date automaticelly creates issues: 

- in real transactions, close date may be different then when the deal was moved to CW.

- we use a pipe to track payments of the bills, all stages are CW => everytime we move a deal in this pipe, close date gets updated to today

I think we should just remove that feature or make it optional. If we remove it, with deal based workflow, users could still set something for themself.

KinseySullivan

@jennysowyrda @VagaeNatus Ditto! This should definitely be an optional setting. It only creates headached right now, particularly if the stage is accidentally moved.

VagaeNatus
Key Advisor

Not only the current feature should be optional but it's also not correctly thought.

Example: deal is one stage before Closed Won. Deal is moved to CW. A popup opens asking for close date (because admin setted up this way), user select 12 Dec then clicks ok. ===> The close date is set to 2nd Jan (today). 

santygomez
Participant

hi we really need to be hable to define the close date on each pipeline as many other people as you can see on this thread->

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Customize-the-close-date-in-deals/idc-p/176684#M13684

Please @jennysowyrda tell us what we can do to make this happen asap?

MichelleFink
Contributor

SOLUTION: This feature has been solved with a couple of options.... Many users don't want Hubspot to automatically update the close date field based on their assumption of how users base deicsions or statuses off of that property. So, if you DO want the field to auto update with a date stamp based on a certain trigger or action you can set up an automation like the one we did below.

Option 1. You can set up an automation that says ---> When deal in any given pipeline enters "Closed/Won" (or Closed/Lost) then set the close date property to "date of step" and that essentially date stamps the actual close date based on when you moved it to closed/won or closed/lost.

automate close date.png

Option 2 - Add the property "Close Date" as a required field to be filled in when anyone moves a deal to closed/won or closed/lost. For all of the users looking to update the close date along the life of the pipeline, just add "Close Date" as a required field ANY time someone moves it to the next stage in a pipeline.