HubSpot Ideas

JoseHan

Seriously Needed Features for Workflows

Workflows is the most powerful and arguably most important tool in HubSpot. It'd be amazing if HubSpot can implement more advanced logic options and expand its abilities as in its current state is pretty limited and hasn't seen drastic/significant changes over the years. 

As a heavy HubSpot and Workflows user, I'd love to see the following additions.

1) "Mini" if/then statements that allow the branch to check for a condition, and if it doesn't meet it then it goes back to the original branch. I don't know the specific name for this type of thing in programming terminology but here's an example. Let's say that in a branch, I want to check whether or not a field is blank. If it is blank, I want to fill it with something. If it's not, then it skips that action and continues onto the same branch. This isn't possible currently and I have to copy the entire branch into the second option which is just silly and creates a huge visual mess. In other words, we can build conditional logic that can go back to the original branch if needed. 

2) Ability to run Companies or Deals objects through workflows. Currently, workflows are run with Contacts being the focal point. Yes you can change company properties and create new deals, but these must always be connected to a contact. Essentially you cannot run a Company through a workflow if there's no associated contact. And for deals, you can't even update anything after inception. This would be useful for SO many things it's ridiculous that HubSpot doesn't already support it.

3) Being able to automate Associations between deals and contacts, companies and contacts, and deals and companies, and any combination of these. I understand that HubSpot will create auto-associations but sometimes I'd like to create my own rules. In its current state sales reps have to do this MANUALLY which is insane when you're dealing with thousands of records.

4) Folders. Like really HubSpot? We get folders for Lists, file manager, LPs, etc. but no organization options for Workflows. This is such a basic feature that people shouldn't even be requesting. Some sort of organization feature for Workflows would be great.

5) Formulas functions. Sometimes I'd like to be able to sum up 2 different number fields and set the result to another different field. I'm not even asking for complex mathematical formulas (which would be nice to have) at this point. Just simple addition, substractions, division, multiplication functions would be really amazing to have and would open up a world of possibilities. 

These are all of the features I would LOVE to see implemented in HubSpot. I honestly think it would improve the tool so much and give HubSpot a leg up against it's competitors and resolve so many frustrations that many enterprise-level customers have. Thank you for reading and Up-Voting this!!!

40 Comentarios
JoseHan
Colaborador | Partner nivel Elite

Thank you all for your support and comments. I was able to get on a call with a HubSport product manager a few weeks back and was told that some of these features are already in production. Hopefully we'll see some new updates in the next few weeks but I'm very happy that HubSpot is actually listening to our suggestions. Your votes do really matter! Thank you! 

DAnaGuiloff
Colaborador líder | Partner

@JoseHan VERY nice list. We need #1 & #5 yesterday. 

MW
Participante

Being able to customize these workflows in more ways will really add another layer of functionality to the workflows. I'm often very confused by some of the limitations we come across with options and drop downs. Formulas especially!

olsendm04
Miembro

I cannot agree more with your first point!!! When we first started using Hubspot and mapping out how we wanted our worklfows to work, we relied hevily on what you are saying.  Very disappointed when I found out that there was not an easy way to do what I wanted.  Upvoted!!! 

NoD
Participante

How about giving the opportunity to associate a ticket to a Company?

We get emails in conversations that open up a ticket. This ticket is associated to the email sender but not to the contact associated company. Please make this possible to get solved throug workflow settings. Thanks.

rachaelshaw7
Colaborador

Hi Everyone,

An idea similar to #1 seems to be in planning.
It asks for branches to be reconnected to the main branch once an exception is dealt with - in most cases this would negate the need to clone branches over and over again - since this feature is in planning you could vote and request the branches connect to any section not just the main branch

Vote here:

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/IF-branches-reconnection/idi-p/11322

Rachael

kkeenan
Miembro

I agree that workflows are powerful, but the fact that you have to create them for seeminly basic requirements is just plain silly/lazy design.  Point #3 in this request is spot on.  The fact that you have to manually associate companies/contacts, companies/tasks, companies/deals is unacceptable.  

AdamSavage
Participante

If we can't have #1, then can I get a "Branch Copy" module that would allow me to copy/paste a segment onto another branch without having to manually rebuild.

erikblues
Colaborador líder

Agree! +1

I also need the option to send notifications to the "contact owner" and not a set contact.

This is specially annoying when I assign a user to an owner using the "rotate leads to" option, and then don't have the option to send a notification to that owner in a next workflow step (some times later, for example)

I added this as a separate idea, but could also be a part of this one. What do you guys think? Any feedback?

Workflows: Add option to send notification to "contact owner" variable 

Msyvrais
Asesor destacado

THIS 100% and many other suggestions in the comments!

1) "Mini" if/then statements that allow the branch to check for a condition, and if it doesn't meet it then it goes back to the original branch. I don't know the specific name for this type of thing in programming terminology but here's an example. Let's say that in a branch, I want to check whether or not a field is blank. If it is blank, I want to fill it with something. If it's not, then it skips that action and continues onto the same branch. This isn't possible currently and I have to copy the entire branch into the second option which is just silly and creates a huge visual mess. In other words, we can build conditional logic that can go back to the original branch if needed.

zeke
Equipo de producto de HubSpot

Hi @Msyvrais! We are actually in the process of releasing an upgraded Workflows experience which would bring the "Go to action" to your contact workflows! While we won't have "mini if/then branches", it will allow you to reconnect branches. In the case described in bullet #1, you would be able to achieve it without duplicating logic by adding a Go to action from the "NO" branch back to the point you'd like to reconnect your workflow into on your "YES" branch.

You can read more about that and the rest of the features that are upcoming in this announcement: https://www.hubspot.com/product-updates/a-new-engine-for-your-workflows

Estado actualizado a: Delivered
MeganLegge

Hi @JoseHan & all! A lot has changed since this was originally posted so I'd like to provide an update on each of the points raised. 

1) "Mini" if/then statements that allow the branch to check for a condition, and if it doesn't meet it then it goes back to the original branch - As Zeke mentioned recently, the "Go To" action is a great option to reconnect branches and avoid duplicating efforts on additional branches. This is currently available in deal, company, ticket, and quote workflows and is in beta in contact workflows. To get access for your contact workflows, please submit this form to opt into the beta: https://forms.gle/RfWS2TkqSMzQ8iLP7

2) Ability to run Companies or Deals objects through workflows - This is feature has been implemented! Access to the different workflow types depends on your subscription, learn more here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/workflows/create-company-deal-ticket-quote-based-workflows

3) Being able to automate Associations between deals and contacts, companies and contacts, and deals and companies, and any combination of these - This particular request isn't something on the workflows team roadmap at this time, and this may be a feature that could be considered for implementation in various different parts of the tool. For example, there are a number of other Ideas Forum posts that request additional nuance to how our CRM automatic association settings work. The one linked below has the most traction, and I see other comments requesting the ability to choose which record fields drive automatic associations. I'd recommend anyone in this thread who is interesting in adding more support to requesting this type of functionality in the HubSpot system, upvote the idea and comment with your use case: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Automatically-associate-Contacts-with-Companies-based...

4) Folders - This feature has been implemented! Read more here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/workflows/organize-your-workflows-with-folders

5) Formulas functions - This feature has been released to HubSpot's properties (independent of workflows)!  They're called "Calculated Properties." Read more here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/settings/create-calculation-properties

Since the majority of these features are now live, I'm marking this thread as delivered Emoticono muy feliz Anyone interested in continuing the discussion on #3, please head over to the other linked ideas post. Thanks to everyone for their input and support on these features!

Msyvrais
Asesor destacado

@MeganLegge  the new tool in work flows is great! however it should be able to function without the use of the If/than  for example a previous if and then branch ends and reconnects over to the yes side to eliminate the need for multiple branches duplicates.

example in my screenshot, unnecessary if/than branch just so I can reconnect the 2Capture.PNG

zeke

@Msyvrais you could simply delete that branch action and add a Go To Action directly, there is no need for that branch at all the way it's written!

Msyvrais
Asesor destacado

It doesn't allow me to select the "go to action" from the set lead propert value. I had to create a new if/than branch for it to allow it.

zeke

That's strange, it sounds like a bug then. What is preventing you from adding it from the Set Property action? Are you deleting the branch before attempting to add the Go To action? I just tested it and it works correctly but there may be something wrong with the workflow you're working on specifically so I'd like to dig deeper and find the solution:

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 3.22.01 PM.png

Msyvrais
Asesor destacado

its just grey'd out says "go to actions can't go betwen actions"  I just tried again and it let me do it! I wonder what was wrong (there was no action below the "set property value" action previously when i tried).

ok super happy now! lol this is awesome and was sooooo needed

rtruncale
Colaborador líder

This is the same thing that happens on my end. You have to use an If/Then branch to re-connect a deal versus just adding it to any other action. 

thibauls
Colaborador

#4 Folders in workflows and others
Files are indeed very important in the organization and maintenance of documentation. It is difficult to find your way around if folder management is limited to creating folders without being able to have a quick overview and a global view of folders versus files.

In fact, in all simplicity one should be able to quickly search for a folder type and see its tree structure. You should be able to navigate like in a standard file manager.

You don't have to reinvent what already works very well in a file manager. In short, the file management in hubspot leaves a lot to be desired and I think it can be much better for such a basic functionality.

omgjmay
Miembro

idea #3 with associating records would dramatically improve the current relationship between sales and marketing for hundreds of hubspot users. just saying. Telling SDRs they need to manually associate is like pulling teeth and I can't blame them.