HubSpot Ideas

bsmye

'Selective' double opt-in

It would be great to have a 'selective' double opt-in feature in HubSpot.

Currently, it is only possible to disable double opt-in for certain pages created in HubSpot. But when creating new contacts in other ways (e.g. via the API), it is not possible.

This is an issue for us, because we use the API to sync contacts who register through our website. When they register, we effectively send them a double opt-in email already as part of the registration process. Now, with double opt-in enabled in HubSpot, they get two emails.

It would be great if double opt-in could be disabled in more scenarios, such as:

• When certain conditions are met, e.g. a particular field in HubSpot in filled
  • Disable it for certain subscription types
  • Disable it for certain forms
30 Replies
SilvanaPSI
Participant

This would be very helpful! 

Having more conditions to define the double opt-in rules would be very appreciated. 

We need to set this up for German citizens, however, we don't want to make this a rule for the rest of the platform, especially as our biggest audience is US based.

Please look into this one asap!

JesperK
Member | Partner

OK - this issue was raised more than 3 yrs ago. And as stated above it makes no sense not being able to filter out certain forms from Double opt-in.

Please look into this asap! 🙂   

twatson
Participant

This capability is absolutely needed.

Global application of Double-opt-in by Hubspot when only 4 countries in the world have that requirement is an unacceptable solution unless the majority of one's target audience is in those countries. In our case the % of our business that is in those contries is low. That means that Hubspot is forcing the rest of our target audience in the vast majority of the world to take that action even though it is not required. The vast majority of people who complete our forms don't bother to act on that email, and as a result are not subscribed.

I have figured out how to build a workflow to perform this function. Once I have it working I expect to turn off GDPR's double-opt-in function, hoping this automation work-around works well enough to keep us GDPR compliant. My biggest concern even if it works is overlooking some country, state or province which has added this legal requirement, and not adding them in soon enough. Since Hubspot provides a GDPR compliant function in the platform, I expect Hubspot to enable a feature for countries and states or provinces which legally require double-opt-in and updating the list as countries implent that requirement. Not doing so damages the effectiveness of the Hubspot platform for companies like mine.

KNellebjerg
Participant

I have to agree to this idea. It makes no logic sense, that it is not possible to define what forms or subscription types, the double-opt-in should be enabled on.

Only selecting HubSpot pages - seems very narrowheaded.

We really need more ways to handle double-opt in.

As it is right now, we would have to create our "own" double opt-in workflow, and have our own property - else we cannot go with any type of double opt in.

Sham
Participant

@bsmye @KNellebjerg @twatson @JesperK @SilvanaPSI I fully back all your arguments. I have been a Hubspot customer for years and I still haven't received a straight answer about selective Double Opt-In since GDPR was implemented. I have to maintain two seperate accounts to address the double opt-in issue, that's not productive. How are Hubspot's large clients dealing with this, surely there is a solution. I don't want to ask my contacts in UK and US to double opt-in when they legally don't need to. If anything we'll lose contacts if we implement this across the whole database. HubSpot can we have a straight answer please?

harmonyrjones
Participant

If you find yourself here, you may want to upvote this idea here too: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Double-opt-in-configuration-per-Form-not-per-page/idc...

Not as comprehensive as this idea, but it already has more upvotes. 

helaannabi

We need to be able to configure double opt-in.
For example: we have German customers for whom double opt-in is MANDATORY (RGPD obliges) but Hubspot does not allow us to do so.
we don't want to apply it for France and Spain because we risk losing leads.
It is mandatory for some countries but not others and Hubspot does not allow us to configure it this way.

simonschrai

We urgently need a real solution for the double-otp-in process, we must be able to configure double opt-in (DOI). As a company with clients in Germany we are legally obliged to activate the DOI for them. Not having this option does impact our business and we risk LEGAL penalties... 
We don't want to activate it for all countries, as it is not mandatory for all. But with the actual Hubspot options, we cannot configure it and are not RGPD compliant.

LMontserrat

Hello, 

This is an urgent matter for us as well! we absolutely need to activate the DOI for a specific country to be RGDP compliant, it's critical! 

MEgger

We need a solution for the double-otp-in process for the German market. As we got clients in Germany we are legally obliged to activate the DOI for the German market. We risk to have LEGAl penalties if we are not having this option. As you can see, it has a important business impact on our company. We only need this option for Germany as it’s not asked for the other countries. With the actual Hubspot options, we cannot configure it and are not RGPD compliant.

simonschrai

Hello, 

please consider this idea. It is absolutely urgent! Each day we are taking a legal risk in contacting German leads that did not complete the DOI.

LMontserrat

This feature is absolutely needed! please consider working on it soon 

helaannabi

please consider this idea. It is absolutely urgent! Each day we are taking a legal risk in contacting German leads that did not complete the DOI.

#GDPR #GERMANY

LMontserrat

Please Hubspot team, this is very important to us! We need the 'selective' double opt-in feature to display the double opt-in in Germany without affecting the rest of our markets 

MEgger

Hi Hubspot team, please consider this idea! This is very important to us. Each day we are taking a legal risk.

LMontserrat

Please Hubspot, consider working on this feature!

LMontserrat

Please Hubspot team, much-needed feature! 

simonschrai

Dear Hubspot Team, please consider this fonctionality, we need it to comply to data protection laws in Germany!!

MPapayani

We also would like a solution for it!

CHoldridge
Participant

Yes, please Hubspot: this! We really need it to be possible to select DOI to be triggered based on which forms are filled in, not which Hubspot pages (which is useless, since our site isn't built in Hubspot). DOI is a great and necessary feature where contacts indicate they want to subscribe to our blog updates or promos. But it is bad, nonsense UX to send DOI emails to an MQL who has chosen to fill in our contact form. They will likely think we're trying to automatically subscribe them, which is not GDPR compliant and not something we'd do!