HubSpot Ideas

ksouligne

Search - Alias names for Contacts and Companies

The search functionality is rather limited. Companies and Contacts are sometimes entered with their official names but are often reffered to by an Allias. For instance Edward Stank may go by his middle name Drew. If someone searches for Drew they will never find the correct contact. Likewise a company name may not be how others refer to and subsequently search for that company. 

For instance a company may be offically named

University of State Research Affiliate Network

however it may be referred to by different a few different ways.

US RAN

US Research Affiliates

Uni of State RAN

Contacts and Companies should have the ability to have one "Legal" name and multiple "Alias" names. Alias names should also be used for search.

Eventually an AI algorithm that better understands UT may refer to University of T*

and includes those in search results would be awesome.

5 Replies
natsumimori
Community Manager

Hi @ksouligne , thank you for your feedback!

I'm moving this post to the Ideas Forum since we collect users' feedback in there and other users can find your idea/feedback easily. Please let me know if this isn't an idea post!

EliteEx
Participant

Yes please! We would really like this implemented as Company Names can be spelled with so many variations and aconyms, we can have alias domains, but alias Company Names would be extemely helpful

KarthikC
Top Contributor

I think we can search by email/website, maybe this could serve as a workaround for now?

CBriggs

I agree that serach functionality for names is not the best. In Sweden we spell a lot of names similar, like Thomas - Tomas, Rikard - Richard - Rickard and now you would need to search for each to find the correct person. Maybe a global Alias page where you add names that can be spelled differently and which would allow all to show in a search.

jhop007

We need exactly this.  I'm moving from a system that had an alias list for company name and it was a huge benefit.  Names change often in some cases due to acquitions and keeping up with the latest is difficult, not to mention acronymns and other spellings as others mentioned.  I've added a custom field for aliases but can't find a clean way to search it.  Adding them as part of the company name is just too clunky and for some, far too much.