HubSpot Ideas

davidoudiette

Sales Pipeline Won/Lost Per Deal Stage

I've been using the HubSpot Pipeline report for a while, but I think it's badly designed and doesn't clearly reflect the information it should.

For example, it's very hard to trace back the source of closed lost deals without creating multiple reports for each scenario (deal lost at stage 1, 2, 3, etc.).

Has HubSpot considered using a representation such as the following one to make things clearer ?

image.png

14 Replies
edjusten
HubSpot Employee

Hi @davidoudiette This is great feedback for our product team. Can you add this as a post to our ideas forum for further comment?

Thank you,

Ed Justen

davidoudiette
Participant

For sure.

@edjusten Just tried to do that but HubSpot just won't seem to let me submit my post? I click on "Submit Idea", the page reloads, but nothing is posted (as far as I can tell).

edjusten
HubSpot Employee
davidoudiette
Participant

@edjusten Thanks!

CCS
Contributor

I have been using Pupdrive for this and nbow use Hubspot and feels Hubspot needs to look at how Pipedrive reports on deals lost per stage as well us time in deal stage can be set on the board where a deal will change colour if starting to rot.

Thanks,

CCS
Contributor

I have been using Pipedrive for this and now use Hubspot. I feel Hubspot needs to look at how Pipedrive reports on deals lost per stage as well as how time in deal stage that can be set on the board where a deal will change colour if starting to rot.

Thanks,

jjin
HubSpot Employee

I agree. And I think the quickest and simplest solution right now (a step in the right direction) is to allow the Deal Stage Funnel to show deals that have skipped stages. Because deals often skip stages.

If anybody can explain why the Deal Stage Funnel functions the way it currently does, I'd be happy to better understand it. Because any salesperson I've discussed this with figures it should show deals that have skipped stages. It rarely happens that a deal touches every stage so this widget doesn't really show us anything.

cmulcahey
Participant

I agree. And I think the quickest and simplest solution right now (a step in the right direction) is to allow the Deal Stage Funnel to show deals that have skipped stages.

Because deals often skip stages. If anybody can explain why the Deal Stage Funnel functions the way it currently does, I'd be happy to better understand it. Because any salesperson I've discussed this with figures it should show deals that have skipped stages. It rarely happens that a deal touches every stage so this widget doesn't really show us anything.

edjusten
HubSpot Employee

Hi folks. This original idea seems to be going in a few different directions. @CCS can you create a new ideas forum post outlining your color coded activity suggestion?  Thank you.

Hi @jjin and @cmulcahey    Just to clarify, the Deal Stage funnel report is designed to show you how successful you are in moving your prospects through the various stages of your pipeline.  The important metric to watch is the conversion perentage of each stage. If only a small persentage of deals are getting through a certain stage, it would be best to find out what might be keeping those deals from moving forward.  Keep in mind that the HubSpot reporting tool allows you to choose which stages to include in your report, so if you have several different scenarios, you spec each one out in a different report. Find out more about HubSpot funnel reports here.  

Thank you,

Ed Justen

davidoudiette
Participant

@edjusten The whole point is that it's a pain in the ass to have several reports for all scenarios instead of one summary graph. 

cmulcahey
Participant

@edjusten I agree with @davidoudiette.  It seems like anybody I've talked to at HubSpot about this is missing the point.  What you're describing here sounds great.  But the Deal Stage Funnel is currently broken because it can't track deals that skip stages.  The Deal Stage funnel shows me that I created 100 deals and 10 of them started at the 1st stage of the pipeline.  The other 90 entered the pipeline at later stages.  And the 10 that entered at the 1st stage skipped the 2nd stage.  So the Deal Stage funnel actually shows me nothing.  The answer is not more pipelines.  The answer is a better Deal Stage Funnel report.  One that acknowledges that deals skip stages and shows you more like David suggested here.

Please help!  This fix will make a big difference.  My company is currently looking at your Report Add-on but our confidence in HubSpot reporting is low based on widgets like this Deal Stage Funnel.

Thank you!

dwstevens

@edjusten I agree. Right now I have many closed-won and many more closed-lost, but my funnel report shows 0% conversion rate from our "contract sent" stage.  It is currently not a very helpful report.

fulthy
Participant

@cmulcahey @davidoudiette

I also believe that there is an issue in that to be counted as a 'closed lost' the deal also has to pass through the 'closed won' stage.  

At the moment the way the report is designed the Deal Stage Dashboard and Deal Funnel Dashboard will never reconcile.

dave_heywood88
Participant

Agree - the report is functionally useless as a salesperson in the real world will never move through each stage in sequence. The report should acknowledge that if a deal has skipped a stage or two - it's still 'passed through' that stage.

I'm now looking at providing this level of data for sector-level deal reporting as the fact that I can't even with the reporting add-on is maddening to say the least!