HubSpot Ideas

bencefarkas

Restrict moving deals between stages

Goal: 
HubSpot users should be able to be restricted when moving deals between stages. Let's say you have a Sales Pipeline with stages like "Qualified Prospect", "1st Meeting", "2nd Meeting", "Proposal Given". You shouldn't be able to move a deal from Qualified prospect to 2nd meeting as there must have been a 1st meeting between.

Why is this good?
As HubSpot's deal funnel analytics works the same way it would be more accurate and this way sales people would be incentivized to update their own deals more frequently. JIRA has a similar option although it's for a different purpose, it would fit how HubSpot's pipelines work.

How to create this option? 
Admin users will want every kind of restrictions, not just the one where you can only put a deal to the next or previous deal stage. As a user experience on where to add this to HubSpot I would suggest adding this option to the Deal Settings page (where you are able to edit deals and create automation for them).

I would change the "Delete" button to "Actions" and add this functionality as a possible action to choose which deal stage the deal can move to from its current deal stage.

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
February 02, 2024 05:10 PM

Hi everyone, we've been rolling out the Deal Pipeline Rules feature and by Monday, February 5th, all HubSpot accounts on Sales Hub Professional and Enterprise will have access. Here's the Knowledge Base article with more details.  

Our team is working to develop further enhancements to this feature. We look forward to making the next iteration available to you later this year. Cheers! 

November 28, 2023 07:58 AM

Hi everyone, thanks for joining our beta!

Just a reminder that the pipeline rules do not apply to super admins. If you're enabling a rule and trying to test it, you'll have to test it as a non admin user. Or if you're on an Enterprise plan, you can log in as another user to test it. 

@Hildegaard, the create new deal form does grey out the other stages if you've enabled the deal creation rule. You can see that as a non super admin user. 

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 10.57.33 AM.png

In Beta
November 27, 2023 01:10 PM

👋 Hi fellow community members,

I'm happy to share that this feature is now available in public beta. Click here to join!

Once you've had a chance to use the feature, please share your thoughts through the in-app survey. I will be reviewing all your feedback, to help prioritize future enhancements.

Cheers,
Jeannie

November 21, 2023 10:26 AM

@adriemilia Thanks for sharing this use case. I've noted it for later, when we're ready to tackle this for Tickets. Cheers!

November 20, 2023 02:07 PM

Hi @adriemilia, we've started with Deals and will look to extend to other object types (including Tickets) in future iterations. Can you tell me more about the problems you face with the ticket pipeline? My sense is that Tickets would have slightly different requirements than Deals, and it would be helpful to hear your use case. Thanks!

In Beta
November 14, 2023 11:21 AM

Hi fellow community members!

Our private beta is closed and currently in-progress. I'll post again with an update once we are ready to move to public beta.

Thank you for your interest in testing this feature.

Cheers,
Jeannie

In Planning
October 03, 2023 01:36 PM

👋 Hello community members!

Thank you for sharing your feedback and support for this idea. I'm happy to share that we're working on a solution for this.

We're looking to run a small early access group in the coming weeks. Space is limited, so please join our waitlist via this form if you're interested in getting early access. Note: Only available to super admin users and for customers on a Professional or Enterprise plan.

I look forward to sharing more updates in the coming weeks!

May 18, 2023 05:47 AM

Hello HubSpot community members!

My name is Vaishnavi and I'm a Product Designer at HubSpot. Nice to meet you😄.

Thank you for your feedback. We’re in the process of exploring this idea. To help us better understand your pipeline management needs, could you please take this short survey ? Thank you!

88 Replies
Hawk-Steve
Top Contributor

+1 from me.

To add to this, I'd like to see a way of restricting permission from moving deals between certain stages all together. Some of the portals I work with run mostly off of APIs/workflows, so the deal stage changes through setting a deal property to the correct criteria (rather than click and dragging).

fabiogomesds
Participant

+1

Gary_Wright
Participant | Diamond Partner

I agree that this would be a very helpful feature.

Often there are different job junctions involved further in the pipeline, and clients have requested for only users part of the Finance team to be able to move a deal to closed-won for instance, once they see the amount reflect in the financials.

Marius_Smit
Member | Diamond Partner

Agree

BeancavNiekerk
Member | Diamond Partner

Agree, there needs to be more flexibility in deal ownership & deal permissions for sales/deal pipelines. 

DKlapwijk
Member | Diamond Partner

Agreed. Would be a nice feature 

TKrajewski

Agree. 

PrateemaK
Participant

Agree!

LLuxton

Agreed, good feature. I'd also like to reststric backwards movement through the pipeline. For example, if you have a "Demo Completed" and a "Proposal Sent" stage, once the deal has been moved to "Proposal Sent", it would not be able to move back to "Demo Completed" without admin privledges. 

ChrisKearns

Our team would benefit greatly from this feature!

hzey11

This would greatly improve our pipeline management. Following, hoping to see it offerred soon.

MDesprez

Great idea ! We really need this feature !

COrtegon

It would be great if this could be possible. I support this idea.

MDiniz

Great idea!

mcclured
Participant

100% agree. 

Upvote my related idea that would solve this and provide a lot of other flexibility to enforce stage advancement criteria:

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Logical-criteria-that-restrict-moving-deals-between-s...

SBracey

+1!!!

KLio
Participant

Yes please! The funnel reporting is next to useless without being able to restrict movement in stages. 

T-Roth

+1 !

It's definitely a must have when you have API-driven pipelines to guarantee data synchronization.

That would be great to have limitations on property changes for each pipeline.

e.g. : for my transactionnal pipeline, I don't want my Reps to be able to change the deal properties (included the stages) but they are able to log calls, ...

e.g.2 : for my prospecting pipeline, my Reps are free to create all the opportunities they want

JV-4

Hi! 

Does anyone know a workaround until this is HS approved and implemented? 

Grts

Alysha_TW
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

100% agree, if we had this feature the "Conversion" deal report would be more reliable too. In most portals this "mic drop moment" report (ie to show you how deal stages move through your pipeline so you can improve) is often a wasted report as HS only tracks conversion on the deals that go through every stage. Forcing certain deal stages to occur would fix this problem. Additionally, it would be in the same vein of thought as the "Conditional" fields HS recently added so certain properties must be gathered at each stage before progressing.