HubSpot Ideas

finn

Restrict access to menus & screens by Team/User

As a super admin I would like to restrict (as in hide if no access) access to menus and screens by Team and user.

Today, even the most basic user can see a lot of screens and menus that in best case is confusing ("no, you don't need to look at that screen, even if it is visible in the menu, it is not for you") or worst it allows them to probe into areas that really is none of their business.

Examples of bad application "behaviour" today:

• as a sales rep I have menu points visible at the top for Conversations, Files and Tickets, as well as Reports. Confusing, if my job role doesn't cover those things.
  • as any type of user I can access MANY settings using the cogs in the top right corner and
    • a) view many things that are none of my business
      • account defaults
      • Property settings
      • currencies
      • domains
      • tracking code
      • ALL users and their access rights
    • b) even change some things: e.g. Hubspot access to the entire portal!!!
    • c) in a few cases even need to access them for things completely unrelated
  • Under settings it even says "only administrators can change these settings" on some then screens. Then DON'T show them to users without edit access!! 
  • as a ordinary sales rep I can switch on / off Hubspto access to the entire Portal. Surely this is a bug!

This is a HUGE issue both for security and compliance reasons (you cannot show all this information to none-admin users) AND for training and onboarding reasons ("no you don't need to bother or worry about that menu/screen; it is not for you but Hubspot shows it anyway")

Suggested actions:

1. Under settings: DON'T show screens that the user doesn't have access to edit. It is simply wrong on so many levels
  2. Allow Super Admin to completely switch the Settings menu off for either all users, by team or by individual user
  3. Allow Super Admin to control access rights to ALL screens by Team and/or individual user, e.g. Switch off "Files" for some, on for others; switch off "Reports" for some, on for others, etc
  4. Stop showing upselling menu items to common users: example "Playbooks" is visible to a basic sales rep, but when he clicks on it he is told that the company has Professional and need Enterprise, and is then shown a screen to "Talk to Hubspot Sales". No!!! my common sales people should NOT have to deal with whether the company buys a bigger package from Hubspot or not. 

14 Replies
CBN
Top Contributor

I fully agree. It is beyond my comprehension how a corporate platform like HubSpot cannot even remove access to 'Account Settings' for non-admin users.

arlogilbert
Contributor

+1 - There are ACLs in place and team/role driven rules.... Stop showing items that someone does NOT have access to.

Specifically it seems that some menu items do not respect permissions (or have no permissions)

• Contacts
    • Calls (should require sales access)
    • Target Accounts (should require sales enterprise seat)
  • Conversations
    • Inbox (should require that the person has access to at least one inbox)
    • Chatflows (should honor the chatflows setting)
  • Marketing
    • CTAs (how is it possible that there are no ACLs on something that could have a big impact if somebody edited or deleted an in-use CTA)???
  • Sales
    • Deals (should require sales access)
    • Payments (should require something)
    • Quotes (should require sales access)
  • Tickets (this shows up as a single menu item - even if the end user has no access to anything related to ticketing or services)
fiberpunk
Contributor

+1 here, I just tried to create a super simple ticket/service access, but there is no way to shut off the many other unwanted menus that are still present.

BEvans32

Ditto

ALando

upvote

hsouza4

upvote 

LLamoglia

I Agree !

GPicinato

I Agree! I need it!!!

BEvans32

Over 3 years this thread has first been posted , and not one response from Hubspot.

A note to Hubspot board moderators, Please respond to this post.  For some of us, 3 years is a real long time to wait for a response.

CBN
Top Contributor

Thanks for your post @BEvans32 

My advice is: "Don't hold your breath". The turn around time for even no-brainer errors as well as major gap in basic functionality is +5 years for the items I have run into.

PJas
Participant

Upvote

bobbymac

Please do this 

SJimenez76

Please fix it, HS is already expensive enough without being able to modify this for users who already have pro or enterprise

CBN
Top Contributor

Really good point @SJimenez76. HubSpot is rather expensive compared to a number of the alternatives we look at. And then there is a great lack of features or coherence across the silos you really wonder if HS is worth your hard earned money.