HubSpot Ideas

ChrisYaren

Restrict access to Knowledge Base Categories

Please set up the ability to restrict access by password to articles in the knowledge base/categories.

This would allow for users to create internal knowledge bases that would not be public facing. It gets around having to custom code a webpage so that the hierarchy of categories/articles is easy for users to find. It would also make this more competitive with the other products on the market like zendesk et al. who already have this functionality.

15 Replies
Silq
Participant

Having a internal knowledge - base would be very helpful to us.

rsellman
Participant

100% agreed. I would prefer this be hidden unless logged in with the proper credentials registering to my company's Hubspot account so that our customers don't see sections they can't get into.

Use case: We have internal documentation we use to guide our employees through processes that are sensitive or contain information that we don't want our customers to have visibility over. Being able to land all of these processes in the knowledge base set to "hidden" or "internal" (or something) would allow our in house team to search for process documentation, and as a manager I would be able to see what processes are referenced the most and could require a training session, or a process revision to simplify.

David9
Participant

We need this before we can adopt the knowledge base

egonzalez
Contributor | Elite Partner

Go ahead HubSpot, please!

Herschel
Top Contributor

I would also like the ability to make specific knowledge base categories hidden

goconnor
HubSpot Product Team

Earlier this year we release a restricted-access feature to the knowledge base. This feature allows you to restrict access to individual articles in your knowledge base. You can read all of the instructions here.

Right now we have no plans to restrict access to categories. If you want to restrict access to an entire category, it can be achieved by restricting access to each article within any given category.

erica11
Top Contributor

We would like categories to be private. For example we would create a staff category which should only be visible to employees.

KNellebjerg
Participant

I can only get in line, to upvote this idea.

Every company needs internal documents in a knowledge base. But not being able to make the categories private, that makes it very difficult to use hubspot knowledge base, for anything else what needs to be public.

Roosi_Chris
Contributor

This feature would be great.

Our company aswell wants to use one big knowledge base for private aswell as public use, filtered by hiding internal articles from public visibility.

Many other similar solutions have  this option integrated, please consider it aswell.

sonyaandrews

Yeah, I'm chiming in to agree. I just assumed this would be possible when we signed up for this because it's such a normal feature for other platforms. I guess I should have been more thorough in my questions with the rep before we signed up. 😞

LFowles

Also agree that this would be an extremely useful addition to the knowledge base tool.

We want to ensure our competitiors don't get that level of information to our system, but don't want to put our users off by them having to put in a password for every article. 

HCarter

We have a higher-level customer package and want to be able to add a resource section just for them since they are paying more. Agree it would be nice to have the entire category be 1 password protected instead of each article. 

SDickson

Hmm yeah, this means we will be sticking with Confluence not moving to HubSpot

BryceChee

This is important for teams that have multiple stakeholders whom they need to provide access to certain pages.

eg. if we have a list of partners we only want to provide access to on setup success manuals, we need the ability to scalably manage access to a set of articles. 

Acceptance criteria:

- If an article is within a category with restricted access, the article adopts its parent's permissions. These article permissions cannot change while it's within the category.

- If an article is within a category with restricted access, the contacts within the lists that have access to the category must be able to access all of them

Stretch goals:

- Subcategories can adopt all the permissions of the parent category

- Subcategories can exclude selected lists from the parent category if chosen

Update: made a new idea here since it wasn't the same thing https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Provide-restricted-access-to-categories/idi-p/588285#...

kyleledbetter
Participant

It's a HUGE pain to have to nickle & dime access restrictions per article. Please add Category-level access that gets inherited by the articles, but can be overridden on the article level