HubSpot Ideas

warpandweft

Restrict Which Stages Deals Can Be Created In

I have designed our Sales pipeline with a few 'deal stages' to operate in a way that once a sale is closed & deposit was received, they must move the deal to the "Deposit" stage and then the deal will automatically transfer into our Production pipeline. HOWEVER, in order for the deal to convert they must have provided values for all required Properties. If they do not, then the deal won't convert.

Unfortunately this isn't working because they can just create the deal in the "Deposit" stage directly and bypass all the required properties before the workflow activates. To prevent this from happening I would like to be able to restrict 'Which' stages certain members can create deals in. By being restricted to which deal stages a deal can be created, the sales team will be required to fill in all the information before they can move through the stages and to the final stage "Deposit"

How can we make this possible?

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
January 29, 2024 05:06 PM

👋 Hello all, per my comment below, I'm happy to share that we have ended our public beta and are rolling this feature out to all eligible accounts (Professional and Enterprise plans). Please check the Product Updates page for the notification--once you see it, go to Deals > Pipeline Settings > Pipeline Rules to start using the feature. 

As always, thanks for your feedback in helping us continue to enhance the product. 

This isn't the end of this feature. My team and I will continue to monitor usage and feedack, and plan to iterate with future enhancements. Stay tuned for more!

January 29, 2024 05:02 PM

Hi @CaseyWeiss, this feature was in public beta, up until today. We've begun rollout and all eligible accounts should have access by next week. Cheers.

In Beta
November 27, 2023 01:10 PM

👋 Hi fellow community members,

I'm happy to share that this feature is now available in public beta. Click here to join!

To start, we've included this new rule:

• Limit the creation of new deals to a single deal stage. Enabling this rule will enforce the creation of all new deals in the selected deal stage.

Once you've had a chance to use the feature, please share your thoughts through the in-app survey. I will be reviewing all your feedback, to help prioritize future enhancements.

Cheers,
Jeannie

In Planning
October 03, 2023 01:36 PM

👋 Hello community members!

Thank you for sharing your feedback and support for this idea. I'm happy to share that we're working on a solution for this.

We're looking to run a small early access group in the coming weeks. Space is limited, so please join our waitlist via this form if you're interested in getting early access. Note: Only available to super admin users and for customers on a Professional or Enterprise plan.

I look forward to sharing more updates in the coming weeks!

May 18, 2023 05:44 AM

Hello HubSpot community members!

My name is Vaishnavi and I'm a Product Designer at HubSpot. Nice to meet you😄.

Thank you for your feedback. We’re in the process of exploring this idea. To help us better understand your pipeline management needs, could you please take this short survey ? Thank you!

46 Replies
shane-mappedin

Suck that I see comments for the past 2 years on this issue and it hasn't been done. Our reporting and automation can't be trusted because reps have too much power that I can't remove. 

If Hubspot wants to be useful software tool for scaling companies, this is an absolutely must-have. 

PedroTayer
Participant

Hi there I agree with @shane-mappedin 

Adding my vote to this. I just created an elaborate list of mandatory qualifying questions that my BD's found an elegant way to bypass on Day 1 after installation. We really need them to be forced to start at Step 1 of the stages if we're going to give any validity to downstream data. Let's get this done, partners!

LMaldonado
Participant

Also adding my contribution here. This is very important in a data-driven perspective to not allow deals be created without all the previous information we need - and it's clearly a problem for many users. 

JoeBurchard
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

Also agree with this - even if you train the sales team properly (several times), one person making mistakes will create inaccurate reporting. Must have feature!

EPTMichael

Adding my voice to this request as well. I'm currently revamping our pipeline and reporting layouts and this is a must for the reporting my board is requesting.

JRasool

This is a critical feature - really need to see this functionality in HS asap.

GBrown11

Agree with all the comments here - this is a much-needed feature.  Please add this so we can control the stage sales reps enter deals - otherwise reporting is made far less valuable. 

JByrne2
Contributor

Upvoting this. It's madness!! You can create a deal in closed won with only the properties required to create the deal. 

PEvans
HubSpot Employee

I think this would be a great feature

paddy_dines

We do need this - sales agents are creating deals at different stages - which screws up the pipeline conversion reporting.

This is surely a very simple fix.  Just allow us to remove/lock Deal Stage on the Create Deal form.  Then lock Deal Stage progression to concurrent stages.

Please can we have a response from the Hubspot Community team?  Many thanks

KevinCarpenter

Attention to everyone waiting for movement on this. Hubspot has enacted an update that helps this problem a bit. 

Previously, the 'Create New Deal' Form Required Fields were independent of the Stage Dependant Required Fields (i.e, to move a deal to Job Won, you need a PO# entered, etc). But now, the Required Fields on the Create New Deal form will automatically CHANGE based on which Stage the Deal is being created into. Used correctly, this will give Admins a chance to make it very hard to ACCIDENTALLY create a Deal into the wrong Stage. 

All that said, being able to control which Stages Deals can be created into is still a critically needed update. When will we see it, Hubspot? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

orkun

@KevinCarpenter , the statement in the comment is not accurate.

The deal stage does not determine the selection of additional deal properties in HubSpot. The deal properties available for selection are determined by the pipeline that the deal is associated with. Selection of required deal properties can be controlled at the pipeline level, not the deal stage level. This is what HubSpot's new update is about. 

Additionally, the required fields for a deal can be set and configured at the stage level within the pipeline, but the form itself does not change based on the stage.

KevinCarpenter

@orkunI wasn’t saying that the Deal Stage dropdown in the Create Deal Form affects which properties are visible in the form but rather which properties are Required. Let me try to explain better:

When I use the ‘Create Deal’ Form (which has its own settings and property selection apart from the Deal Record page), at the very top are Deal Name, Pipeline, and Deal Stage — all 3 are required and all unmovable from the very top of the form. My company only uses one pipeline, so I’m not even talking about that. But when I select different Deal Stages from the dropdown, some of the properties in the form instantly get an asterisk to denote that they are required. And the Deal won’t save unless they are completed.

These asterisks/required properties are in accordance with the parameters that I put in place in Settings —> Deals —> Pipelines —> Update Stage Properties. 

And now, upon going to that setting page, I see that Hubspot has also added a way to Edit who has access to the individual stages. I have not tested this yet but it seems to be another tool to combat exactly what this thread is all about -- which is the fact that people can easily manipulate numbers (intentionally or unintentionally) using the wide-open Create Deal Form that allows new deals to be created into any stage of the pipeline without the necessary properties filled.
orkun

@KevinCarpenter , hmm yes I see your point now!

I just thought I could see it in the settings of the form, just like the pipeline selection part.

But it is directly related to the required fields as you said. The form is directly pulling the additional fields from there.

Thank you!

This will be useful!

Tlevesque

Required!!

DSresneck

How many people need to agree on a point like this before Hubspot considers the feature? It seems like a bit of a black-box process. If you (Hubspot) want us (the users) to take these forums seriously, then it would be nice to have a bit of transparency in terms of how you go about addressing these kinds of feature requests and what it takes to get them on your roadmap.
Thanks for reading.

VSureshKumar
HubSpot Product Team

Hello HubSpot community members!

My name is Vaishnavi and I'm a Product Designer at HubSpot. Nice to meet you😄.

Thank you for your feedback. We’re in the process of exploring this idea. To help us better understand your pipeline management needs, could you please take this short survey ? Thank you!

TTomaszewski
Participant

@VSureshKumar were you able to complete your survey and consider this feature?

phst

The lack of this feature is messing with our funnel reports.

It's nice that HubSpot recently released the functionality of showing Deals in the funnel reports correctly even if they skipped a Deal Stage. However, we are still in the blind spot if our sales reps create a Deal directly in a later stage of the funnel. Enforcing all Deals to be created in the first stage of the pipeline would solve this issue.