HubSpot Ideas

abowman3d

Major Improvements Needed for Hubspot Scoring

Please upvote this idea!

Current Hubspot scoring is severally lacking compared to its competitors. Hubspots scoring issues are so large that I would strongly warn anyone from choosing Hubspot until they fixed how they score Contacts.

1.) Allow the Hubspot Score to be completely be reset. Right now you can only give negative criteria which causes a bunch of different issues.

2.) Make it possible for new scoring rules, or changes to existing scoring rules, only effect Contacts going forward. If you change a lead scoring criteria, it will retroactively update all your records. If you have any sort of automation associated with the Lead Scoring, such as a head off process from Marketing to Sales, this causes a huge nightmare. Scoring changes should occur FREQUENTLY based on feedback from Sales or conversion analytics. Right now its very difficult to make any changes to scoring because of this limitation.

3.) Show scoring for individual line items within the Contact's Detail Screen and within the Hubspot / Salesforce Visualforce component. Having to "Test" a Contact against your scoring rules is time consuming and inefficient. No one wants to scroll through a giant list of criteria to see if a specific Contact meets a criteria. 

4.) Change the way scoring occurs so more generic rules can be set. If you have a new Webinar, whitepaper, etc you're basically forced to create an entire new scoring rule for that specific campaign. You could do it based on a "Type" of campaign or some other Salesforce field, but then you face the issue of creating separate rules for every time the Contact meets the criteria. For example say you have a rule that says if Type = Webinar, give the Contact 10 points... well that works for the first time they meet the criteria. If you want them to be scored for each time they watch a new webinar based on a type field, you're forced to duplicate the scoring rule and specify that they've watched a webinar 2 or more times. The same goes for email clicks. If you want a Contact to be scored for every email click, and not just the first time they meet the criteria, you will have to duplicate the rule out several times and specify within the rule that they've clicked a link at least 2+ times.

These are just a few of the major issues I've faced when creating a scoring process within Hubspot. It needs a lot of work.

142 Kommentare
mattgeller
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

We would love the ability to clear the hubspot score, or at least be able to add / remove points on multiple occasions rather than once.

robinsonjn22
Teilnehmer/-in | Partner

I second @kshayne. This does not align with any of our clients business processes. 

kshayne
Teilnehmer/-in

I implemented a pretty intensive workflow process for customized lead scoring. However, I'm still heavy into debugging. It's a gigantic pain and I'm yet positive how reliable it is since it leverages workflows. 

Once I resolve issues I'd be happy to post the entire process that I've put in place. In short, it allows for scoring up a custom field by using workflows and then resets the score based upon an action passed from our CRM (date) back to Hubspot. 

judeoneill
Teilnehmer/-in

@kshayne my original solution involves adding contacts to be demoted to lists with subtraction rules, but it is very fuzzy. We are using a custom scoring field for customer nurturing right now, and the solution you describe sounds similar. Its not ideal and creates a lot of clutter, but I guess that's what we have to work with right now.

mattgeller
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Can HubSpot give us an update on if this is in the pipeline?

wavecenter
Teilnehmer/-in

Let me add my echo to all the comments on this thread. I say this as someone who is a big fan of Hubspot. Generally speaking, Hubspot's UI is clean and intuitive, and your support team is first-rate. But your scoring system is a ridiculous joke, and it should be an embarrassment to your product team. I can't imagine why no changes have been made to the scoring system when this one idea alone has four pages of excellent comments over the last year.  I personally have thought about adding my ideas many times, but never got around to it. Now I need to do a major update on our scoring, and I know it is going to be incredibly painful.  So I'll add my comment now, in hopes that maybe my voice can be the "Yop!" that finally puts it over the top. (Horton Hears a Who reference).

In addition to the other comments made in this thread, the scoring system could be vastly improved by just changing the UI to allow you to collapse, group, filter and search sets. I should be able to easily see just the scores based on CTA clicks, for example, or form submits, page views, etc. with a filter. I think it would also be great to be able to filter by point level as well, e.g. let me see all the sets that score between 5-20. I won't try to list all the ways these can be sliced and diced, but it should be pretty obvious. It would be based on the criteria we use to set them up. 

Also, we should be able to create folders just like we do with lists, and group score sets under folders. And rather than having to scroll through an interminable list of blocks that contain all the settings for every filter, we should be able to see a collapsed list of the filters with key data in columns, like name, type (CTA, form, page view, etc.) and points scored. Then we can drill into any given score set if we want to make changes. 

It's too late for me, because I am going to have to do a major overhaul with this abominable system, but for the sake of future generations, PLEASE FIX THIS THING!!!!

CorbinAssembla
Teilnehmer/-in

Agreed. We use HubSpot Score to drive Lead/MQL creation. If an MQL was ultimately lost then we'd like to reset the Contact's HubSpot score when we kick them back to Subscriber. This would allow future engagement to drive their score high enough to once again become a Lead or MQL.

kshayne
Teilnehmer/-in

After a lot of work I setup a customized system of scoring using extensive workflows. If you go this path - be sure to use a lot of delays. Without them I saw that scoring wouldn't take place. I do have a lot more power now just because of the logic of workflows that doesn't exist in Lead Scoring. 

I know that other marketing automation solutions utilize the same expanded logic set both for workflows as they do lead scoring. This allows both to be very robust. I've seen similarly where the same logic interface is used for lists and reporting (I wish that power existed). 

If anyone wants to know more you can reach out to me and I can assist if possible. 

- Kevin

CorbinAssembla
Teilnehmer/-in

@kshayne, your comment right there should be enough to convince HubSpot to take a hard look at their existing scoring system. You had to reinvent the wheel to acheive what should be possible OOB. It's probably the best workaround though.

tomsedgwick
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

We also need this. It gets too messy otherwise. When certain things happen, we need to be able to reset the score to zero. It will also make it easier to concentrate on our sales cycle. It doesn't matter what their score was 2 years ago etc, and yes I know there are workarounds, but they are messy.

johntan
Teilnehmer/-in

Chiming in here and agreeing with those who suggested a reset button for lead scores.

lastoia4761
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Lead scoring is the weakest feature in Hubspot, yet one of the most important requirements to get marketing automation right.  Please give it a complete overhaul.

kreiley
Mitglied

Agree with the original post - there needs to be a solution for resetting a contact's score OOB. Is this idea being considered by HubSpot dev?

Dylan
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hi HubSpot Community - thank you all for providing your feedback on this issue. I'm a member of our Product team and I wanted to let you all know that we hope to make significant improvements to scoring in the coming months! Please continue to provide examples and use-cases on this issue, I will provide an update once additional functionality is closer to beta.

abowman3d
Mitglied

Dynlan, this is fantastic news! I'm really excited to see what you all come up with. Thanks for the update. 

emilyaiko
Teilnehmer/-in

This is exciting news as we have differnt journeys we want to take per persona and also our buyers journey vs our customer journey. Right now we have to use the lead scoring model for net new MQLs and made a frankinstien version using lists and workflows for our re-qualifed MQLs. Also for our ABM accounts we have had to use workflows and lists. If there could be a partnership with companies like Bombora for intent signals that would be a huge bonus as well here as I would love to combine predicitve scoring + behavior + demogrpahic 

ranio
Mitglied

Another vote for enabling score resets in HubSpot. It's essential when moving leads to new nurture flows.

SamAdler
Teilnehmer/-in

I'm amazed this isn't OOB functionality. both in Pardot, Marketo and Eloqua, you can easily set a lead score to whatever score you'd like in a workflow scenario. 

We need to be able to reset a score for this scenario:

Someone comes to our website, does a bunch of things and scores, let's say 90 points, and our MQL threshold is 50.

So, now he goes to the Sales rep for follow up, and the sales rep ultimately moves this person to 'nurture'.  however, we want this person to be able to come back into our lead flow in the future.  But, the issue with the current Hubspot OOB is that he's already above our 50 MQL threshold.

What are my options? I could say 'decrease score by 50 points', but what if his score was 51, or what if his score was 101. Not really an ideal workaround.  I could create an entirely new lifecycle for nurtured and past MQL leads, but seriously?

Pls help! 🙂

Hubspotting101
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

(I posted this early this year as it's own topic, not sure if it ever was addressed, but adding here since this seems to be the thread product team is looking at.)

It seems that if there is no company data (i.e. can't find the domain or name I am guessing), rather than the database disregarding the field, it will put a zero for the number of employees.

e.g.

I want to score a contact based on the size of the company.

If the company name (or domain) entered in a form does not exactly match the database then it obviously can't find the company - makes sense. I have had cases where it's a subsidiary, company was acquired and they are on an old domain etc.  Lots of cases where this could happen.

However, it will then insert a 0 as company size, and for my purposes essentially throw the lead out as I have a negative score if a company is under a certain size.  

This makes being able to use this data as useless for lead scoring. 

What needs to happen is if there is no data, it just doesn't score it at all and not give it a zero and cause a negative score to kick in. 

SamAdler
Teilnehmer/-in

This is pretty basic, and i'd also add that it would be good to be able to edit the score as a contact property. so if you need to change their score from 14 to 50 for example, you can simply just do that, like you can in Pardot or Marketo or Eloqua.