HubSpot Ideas

WWilson

Report on Historical Property Values (Audit Trail)

Being able to report on data that has changed in records is a big business need.  Identifying which record properties changed, along with their previous and new values and the user that changed the data, would satisfy audit requirements.

The legacy version of the API allows for returning historical property values by specifying propertiesWithHistory in the API call. However, this only works with OOB objects and not custom objects.  In addition to a reporting function,  it would be great to have this functionality available in the latest API to work with both OOB and custom objects.

HubSpot Updates
September 15, 2023 06:42 AM

Hi @VEspo ! 

Thanks for the reply 😊

Apologies for the confusion here. The audit log I felt solves the original idea post where the ask was "Identifying which record properties changed, along with their previous and new values and the user that changed the data, would satisfy audit requirements."

At the minute the audit log is focused on user-initiated changes but are considering whether we expand that to automation changes (Workflows, Integrations, and APIs). Forms is missing data though and something we are working to have included this year!

I would love to set up a time to chat more about your use case if you would be interested please feel free to book in some time here.

Delivered
September 13, 2023 09:12 AM

HubSpot now has a Centralized Audit Log of User Actions 😀

Enterprise tier Super Admins can view a centralized audit log of their users’ actions such as:

• who deleted X record?

• who changed Y asset?

Starter and Professional tier customers can view a centralized log of all security and login activity taken by users.

CTA
Any feedback, such as any actions not yet covered in the Audit Log, please tell us using the purple feedback button at the bottom right when viewing the Audit Log (linked above) - it comes directly to our team building out this feature

17 Replies
NicoleJ
HubSpot Moderator

On behalf of a customer, this would be very very helpful.

Business case: When a customer submits forms each time their weight changes, it would be very beneficial to be able to report on the historical property values over time for a certain contact.

NicoleJ
HubSpot Moderator

On behalf of another customer:

Use case: Report on customers who have ever had a lifecycle stage value of 'MQL', etc. between certain dates (such as a quarter)

LMankin

Reports associated with this concept is such a simply idea to executive staff and it's so challenging not to be able to report on it.  For example we need to count which accounts become an MQL and SQL within a quarter. The workaround is a contact report showing company count. For some reason though as the contact moves the lifecycle tracking is abandoned in the report.

MAcosta0

Yes! I need to know who had a specific property in a range of dates. This is sooo needed.

Daveonearth
Participant

We are currently having our annual audit and the auditing company has requested a report on all deal amounts that were changed. 

This clearly has a practical and necessary use case. 

KGraham6

YES - use case - tracking changes that have been made to properties such as "deal owner" or "contact owner" manually 

I would think an audit trail would be a mandatroty feature

Need to be able to filter by object and the change being tracked

MCostello0

I'm surprised/disappointed that this isn't a feature.

In our case, we need to track when a deal close month, status or amount changes - and more importantly why..

Otherwise we have a forecast which varies with no underlying explanation

AlexanderGigstr

Yes please! 

LDilven

I am new to Hubspot and this is the first major feature I that lacks compared to the other platforms I used to work with..

Does anyone know this is a feature that might be comming soon? Or has a work around to be able to report on property history? 

VEspo
Top Contributor

We need the same thing.  In our case we need to create views/reports with the ability to filter it based on a date range when a particular property was updated ... mostly on custom fields.  An added plus would be able to also have a column that shows the previous value, but not necessary.

Use case: someone imports a file and our custom member IDs inadvertantly get overwritten (since many members have shared emails) -- we'd want to pull a listing of just the records where the member ID was overwritten to identify which records need to be corrected.

Thanks!

CGozikowski

I agree with VEspo! 

We need the same thing.  In our case we need to create views/reports with the ability to filter it based on a date range when a particular property was updated ... mostly on custom fields.  An added plus would be able to also have a column that shows the previous value, but not necessary.

froettgen
HubSpot Employee

+1

FMeyer

This would open so many doors, gread idea. 

christa
Contributor

I'm surprised that I cannot find the ability to export a contact list and show a property's previous value along with the current value.

Reporting on a property value during a stated timeframe is something we have wanted to do for various scenarios as well. While it is nice to see the historical details on each contact, that doesn't have much use when trying to report on properties that change over time.

ASykes
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot now has a Centralized Audit Log of User Actions 😀

Enterprise tier Super Admins can view a centralized audit log of their users’ actions such as:

• who deleted X record?

• who changed Y asset?

Starter and Professional tier customers can view a centralized log of all security and login activity taken by users.

CTA
Any feedback, such as any actions not yet covered in the Audit Log, please tell us using the purple feedback button at the bottom right when viewing the Audit Log (linked above) - it comes directly to our team building out this feature
VEspo
Top Contributor

Couple of things.  It seems the audit doesn't include changes made by APIs, Forms, etc.  Just account users.  Also doesn't appear you can filter on a specific property or source.  As I stated above ...

"We need the same thing.  In our case we need to create views/reports with the ability to filter it based on a date range when a particular property was updated ... mostly on custom fields.  An added plus would be able to also have a column that shows the previous value, but not necessary."

Not sure how this audit reporting solves that.

ASykes
HubSpot Product Team

Hi @VEspo ! 

Thanks for the reply 😊

Apologies for the confusion here. The audit log I felt solves the original idea post where the ask was "Identifying which record properties changed, along with their previous and new values and the user that changed the data, would satisfy audit requirements."

At the minute the audit log is focused on user-initiated changes but are considering whether we expand that to automation changes (Workflows, Integrations, and APIs). Forms is missing data though and something we are working to have included this year!

I would love to set up a time to chat more about your use case if you would be interested please feel free to book in some time here.