HubSpot Ideas

christourre

Remove the automatic "New Deal" from deals

When creating a deal from a contact record, Hubspot will automatically title it as the Company Name (great) and add "- New Deal" on to the deal name as well.   There is no way to configure the system so that it does not automatically do this.  

As we like to keep our company and deal names the exact same for uniformity, automatically adding the "New Deal" is something we are constantly having to delete.  I don't undertstand the reasoning for doing this as you can just runa filter if you want to see when a deal was created.  If you don't manually edit, then you can have a 3-month old deal that is titled "new".

Thoughts:

- Just use the company name for the deal name if auto-populating.

- Allow us to specify a property field/token for the deal name

- Allow for custom copy for adding additional language onto an auto-pop deal name

HubSpot Updates
In Beta
December 12, 2023 10:15 AM

Hi everyone! Exciting update from the product team - the ability to customize the default deal name (instead of “-New Deal”) for deals created from existing contact and company records is now in private beta!  To get access, click on the dropdown in the upper righthand corner of HubSpot, select "Product Updates" and select the Betas section under "Early Access." Scroll down until you see the Beta called "Customize Default Deal Name" and click “Request Beta.”

For more info, please visit the Knowledge Base article (use password: Deals_126899).

In Planning
September 12, 2023 06:38 AM

Thank you all for your feedback! We are currently determining the best path forward to enable you all to set default naming conventions for your team and remove the extra work of deleting "new deal" if it's not helpful. Stay tuned!

86 Replies
enniszd
Participant

This is a frustrating feature that leads to a lot of addiontal work for the rep and data team to make sure that deals are just - New Deal.  I understand it is not a priority for HubSpot but would seam to be a simple fix by exposing the workflow so it can be adjusted by each organization.

QRA-James

Agreed.  Please remove the default "New Deal" text.  Ideally there would be more control over this, but in the meantime removing the text would be a big help.

mollyc123

100% agree with everyone on this thread, especially with the idea from the original poster of being able to specify a property field/token for the Deal Name. HubSpot recently made an update in which the Deal Name of a new deal is automatically titled as the Company Name (if there is a company associated with a new contact), but it used to just create the deal with the contact's first and last name as the title. This was vital for my sales team to be able to go back and search through our database of old customers once their contact had been deleted from the CRM since we still had their first and last name to reference from the Deal Name. Now we just have the company name which is not helpful at all. Please fix this. 

NShacklock

+1 from me too, it's REALLY annoying.

Also, utterly pathetic that this thread is over 2 years old and Hubspot haven't even acknowledged it.

JGrimm

do the right thing - remove "new deal" or provide options

MBest1021

We need this changed as well.   Thanks HubSpot community.   You all are awesome!  

mattstuccco

+1, please create an option in Settings > Objects > Deals where we can simply turn off or customize the text automatically appended to each new deal.

joyceywill

Can we please please remove this function. We need  to be able to  name the deal ourselves and not have HubSpot do it for us.

We use Juro plugin via Zapier and create contracts from the deal name. Having our deal name including "- New Deal' makes the contract invalid and defeates the entire puropse of the plugin.

aknapoli

My team and I would LOVE for this to be removed.

richard88
HubSpot Employee

Would be awesome to customize this with some level of personalization token, like {full name} | {Customer ID} or something like that rather than show "New Deal" which is generic and might not be helpful in scaling processes, especially for smaller teams.

TEdwards8

Love this idea. I cannot possibly think of a good reason why they felt the need to add the "new deal" text without the ability to turn it off.

NickKlotz
Member | Elite Partner

Agreed! "{Company Name} - New Deal" is not terribly descriptive, and once you have many deals created with this same convention it starts to look messy. Of course, one can go in and edit this, but I'd prefer for the name to default to blank instead-- better yet let me use tokens.

KJSam

Bumping this thread up. It's a minor nuisance, but it's illogical that there's no practical way to create defaults for Deal Names of all things. That's what we use Hubspot for. 

Bareld
Participant

Fully agree, for us it can be a new deal or a renewal, up-sell or cross-sell. Defaulting it to new deal is creating confusion.

courtney_hickey
Contributor

I know that if you create a deal from the deal page rather than the company page the deal name will be blank, but then there are all kinds of issues that come up with company name not being formatted correctly etc. Please fix this. Also, having "- New Deal" appear on quote titles when they auto-populate with deal name does not make a great impression on customers.

SKLumley

Agreed, this is a small thing but very annoying for our team to keep deleting 'new deal' from the deal name. 

SbChapman

+1 We have to delete that text for every. single. new. deal. we create.  So irritating.  This is not a feature. It's a nuiscance. 

jmbray
Participant

+1 here. "New Deal" is not helpful, especially after a Deal has been on the pipeline for a longer period of time. It creates uneccessary clutter. Thank you!

ADiGangi

Would love for this to happen as well. It is very annoying, and this thread has been going since 2017!

Svetlauskaite

no news here? come on, Hubspot, it's so simple! Just remove it. No one needs "NEW DEAL". save our time!