HubSpot Ideas

jamesburnes

Remove "notification alert" on messages widget

When a visitor comes to a website enabled with the Messages chat feature, they might click on the icon.

If there is a default welcome message, and the user does not interact, the widget then shows a "1" notification alert implying a new message exists - even though it is still just the original message.

Change of feature: Do not show the "1" notification (red circle with text) unless a new message appears.

7 Replies
hroberts
HubSpot Product Team

@jamesburnes the current functionality is that you should only be getting a notification if the visitor actually starts a chat. If you're seeing something different, please open a support ticket so our support team can help resolve the issue!

jamesburnes

Hello @hroberts,

I started this post because Support says it works the way it is currently designed first.

1. New visitor loads site and the photo icon in bottom right corner appears as expected. No notification icon.
  2. User wonders what that little floating photo is and clicks on the icon.
  3. The chat window expands. A default message appears from our helpdesk.
  4. User closes window - no need to chat.
  5. Notification (number in red circle) appears that there is one new message. 
  6. User re-opens the chat window, but no new message appears, just the original default note from us.

It doesn't make sense to have a notification when the site guest has already seen the message when they first opened the window.

jamesburnes

I tried to upload screenshots, but the image upload module doesn't allow the upload. I'll start a separate ticket on that. 🙂

roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team

SaraLynnn1
Contributor

This is occurring on our site as well. It happens across browsers & devices. Shortly after loading the website, the number '1' appears as a notification. Yes when you click on the chat bubble, there is no notification. We didn't change any of the settings, it just started happening randomly. Thought it was just me!

hs messaging.jpg

hs messaging-no notification.jpg

hroberts
HubSpot Product Team

hroberts
HubSpot Product Team