HubSpot Ideas

marcy730

Remove Email Alias Impersonating Someone

I have found a flaw in the system. We let someone go, and I went into their account impersonating them so that I could remove the email alias to assign it to someone else. Only one person can have the alias. Support told me I am not able to do that and I should just login into her account. I am able to add the email alias while impersonating someone so why can't I remove it?

Each account is basically forced to set up two factor, which then sends a code to someone who was let go. I should be able to remove things like this impersonating a person. 

This seems like a big flaw for super admins and if people are let go and we need to get into their accounts and be able to clean it up. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-22 at 12.34.16 PM.png

From Support:

I don't have anything that definitively says whether or not it will work. My guess is that you would have to remove H entirely and that simply deactivating wouldn't work.

Your IT team doesn't have access to H inbox? If yes, they should be able to reset the password with access to her inbox.

I would like to note even if we reset the password, it will send the two factor code to this person who was just let go. Doesn't make sense. 

0 Upvotes
4 Replies
franksteiner79
Key Advisor

Hi @marcy730 

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but leawood@littlesunshine.com seems like a normal individual's email, what is the email alias? And why are you rotating the alias between different users? What do you mean when you say email alias? You shouldn't have to "log in as user" but simply deactivate a user that isn't working for you anymore.

Cheers

Frank

marcy730
Contributor

Hi @franksteiner79 , leawood@littlesunshine.com, is not a real email address. Its a distribution group that goes to all of the leadership staff at our school.  We can only assign one email alias to a user in HubSpot even though multiple people might be using it. This user was let go, so I would like to add it to the profile of the new person that will be taking over that person's contacts. 

Deactivating the user does not remove the email alias from that person's account. You have to go into the user account and physically delete it. 

franksteiner79
Key Advisor

Hi @marcy730 

Thanks for clarifying! As I assumed this isn't an email alias, at least not technically speaking. An email alias would be an individual's email, if my default email is frank.steiner@hubspot.com but I have working aliases such as fsteiner@hubspot.com, f.steiner@hubspot.com, etc.

What you are describing is distribution list or distribution group (which depending on the provider you used and how you set this up either has it's own inbox, i.e. you can send email from it, or is a simple distribution list, it only receives and passes on emails but you can't send emails from the adress.) Either way neither should be tied to an individual user account in HubSpot (or any other critical tool else really) unless it is a shared inbox and the purpose is to have a "team user". 

marcy730
Contributor

Thanks Frank. By having it is it breaking or causing harm by listing it there? 

The main issue and reason for the idea is I am not able to delete it. Only the person who owned the account. I was able to put it there though impersonating the person. They have been let go and as super admin should be able to delete that and other things in the account without having to delete the account.