HubSpot Agency Partner Kickoff 2017 Q&A

Academy

Support Resources

Internal Knowledge Base

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reliable tracking of opt-outs and hard-bounces

Need a repeatable & reliable way to capture all opt-outs and hard-bounces. There is currently no clear filter critieria that can be used to identify those who previously may have bounced or opted-out vs. those that are currently opted-out and hard-bounced outside of exporting the bounces and unsubscribes data from the Email section to create a Static List which is not substainable. There should be a way to pull this into a smart list and/or a contact setting that can be referenced. Would like to know when sending my email I have the cleanest list possible prior to hitting send.

9 Comments
ndwilliams3
Advisor

@Compuware

You can create a smart list of bounced contacts. While it doesn't differentiate between soft and hard bounces, it may work for your needs. When creating a list, select the contact property filter and chose emails bounced is known.

Also, Hubspot automatically excludes contacts previously hard bounced when sending emails. 

Compuware
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info we currently have a smart list filtering with the knowns. However, it is becoming a big unmanageable due to hard bounces that we have unbounced so now rather than known is has to filter for those that were previously known but now are labeled with "1" or "2", etc. Same applies with opt-outs. While they were previously "known" and opt back in they're opt-out field like the bounce field now has another value.

inespimentel
New Contributor

@ndwilliams3 While it's useful Hubspot doesn't send to hard bounced, it would also be useful to have visibility over them when building lists (for example if a list has 6000 contacts but 3000 of them hard bounced) - before sending emails. Is this possible somehow? (same for opt-outs)

GmidD

We definitely need better tracking of hard bounces. Our sales people use Salesforce and we sync all of our data, but there is no Hubspot field we can use to tag contacts as BOUNCED in Salesforce so our sales people know which of their contacts may not be receiving our messages. We've currently tried sending bounce reports out to them, but the server messages can be confusing unless you know what you're looking at. And, like someone else mentioned above, the "Bounced Emails" field can't reliably be used because it doesn't reset when contacts are unbounced.

amyT
New Contributor

It would be great if there was an easy way to build a smart list of only contacts who have hard-bounced and are not eligible to recieve email. Currently, it doesn't look like there is a way to use list filters to create such a list.

My company just started using SalesForce and half of the information they imported is junk. It would be very beneficial if I could supply a list of hard-bounced email addresses back to SalesForce administrators to help them clean up the mess and on the flip receive much cleaner lists to do campaigns with from them in the beginning.

kbento
Regular Contributor

Completely agree.  With HubSpot using a pay-per-lead model, it's really frustrating to find that there isn't a robust system for handing hard-bounces.

We manage a pretty popular marketing blog with tons of content and get a fair share of "no@no.com" emails which, because there's no automated way to handle these fake contacts, we pay for montly.

Please fix this HubSpot.  This solution doesn't scale.

kbento
Regular Contributor

Copied from a similar topic:

Completely agree.  With HubSpot using a pay-per-lead model, it's really frustrating to find that there isn't a robust system for handing hard-bounces.

We manage a pretty popular marketing blog with tons of content and get a fair share of "no@no.com" emails which, because there's no automated way to handle these fake contacts, we pay for them montly.

Please fix this HubSpot.  This solution doesn't scale.

spanishgringo
Occasional Contributor

Totally agree we need this

Hi @spanishgringo@kbento : I am just commenting to let you know that I have merged the previous idea that you had commented on ("New HubSpot property for contacts that have hard-bounced?") with this current idea, which was posted before and had more votes. This was done in order to increase the idea's visibility, and thus make its implementation more likely. Please add any additional information that you might find useful in the comments!