HubSpot Ideas

Kara

Reassigning tasks when ownership changes

Currently, you can only bulk assign tasks to one owner at a time. What if someone leaves or regions change and leads are reassigned to multiple people? It would be nice to have outstanding tasks move to the new owner once assigned.

51 Replies
ajacks530

I agree and would find something like this useful. We are able to do it in Salesforce so we thought it would be easy enough in Hubspot, but that is not the case. 

ksokolov
Participant

Yes, it would be really helpful, right now we need to reassign tasks manually

JustinEverett
Participant

This is definitely one of the little things that you take for granted when using a tool like Salesforce. This would be a huge help!

This isn't only useful for tasks assigned to inactive users, but also when territories change or the team grows. I need to be able to assign the new owner the existing tasks from the old owner so that they are fully aware of what followup needs to take place.

Currently, I have hundreds of isolated tasks and moving them to the correct owner is made even more difficult due to the reporting in Hubspot. I don't have any way to indicate when a task is assigned to someone other than the account owner, and so have to resort to exporting all tasks and contacts to Excel and making the manual change there.

Speakap

Is this on the roadmap already? It is very unhandy for us to not being able to change the assigned person of a task. For different purposes this is very undesirable like with people leaving the company and with the workflow error that we now encounter that if a contact doesn't have an owner but needs follow-up a sales rep gets assigned. But if a task was already created prior to that you cannot also set the right owner of that task automatically.

sarahw
Contributor

This would be extremely helpful. Any idea on if/when this will be available?

davidbachetti
Member | Diamond Partner

That would be really helpful! 

HarvestROI
Contributor | Platinum Partner

Just had a client today who had a Sales rep quit. We use workflows to assign Call tasks into a Task queue when a Deal is created. The reps work exclusively out of their queues to stay focused on their priorities. We need a way to re-assign assigned tasks based on a workflow to change Contact ownership/

joepod700
Contributor

Has there been no feedback from HubSpot on this topic?  It seems extremely relevent and likely that bulk reassignments are needed and often used.  For us, when we lose a rep (termination or resignation) we have a large amount of taks/deals/contacts and companies that need to reassigned.  The quicker and smoother it can done helps us keep our CRM in good order.  Housekeeping is a major challenge and a "one click" solution woudl take HS to the next level.

Mary_Pouliot
HubSpot Employee

Hi @Kara ,

It looks like there is finally a solution to your request. Check out the answer provided by @Mike_Eastwood  in this other thread: 

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/CRM/How-to-assign-tasks-from-inactive-owners/td-p/256164#:~:text=Yo...

Updated by moderator on July 18 2023: The above thread has been archived. You can check the solution to this Community post for reference. 

Kara

That wasn't the exact issue. I would like the tasks to have an option to reassign to their new owner because most of the time, leads aren't being redistributed to just one person so picking an owner doesn't solve it.

Currently, you can only bulk assign tasks to one owner at a time. What if someone leaves or regions change and leads are reassigned to multiple people? It would be nice to have outstanding tasks move to the new owner once assigned.

sarahw
Contributor

When reassigning Accounts/Contacts, there needs to be an option to reassign the associated Tasks to the new owner. While I understand there is an option to mass reassign tasks, this doesn't help because we still have to go one by one on the tasks to see who it was reassigned to.

I.E. We reassign Companies from Bob based on Industry, the Industry isn't available on the task thus having to open each task to look at current record owner.

CherylLK
Contributor

This is SO vital. When we have staff leave or switch teams, it's an enormous undertaking to switch ownership of contacts, open deals, and open tasks. I've managed to make a workflow that mostly works to reassign deals, but it's not perfect and there's still some manual reassigning for deals that has to happen. I've also made a list where I can manually bulk reassign open tasks, that mostly works too, but again not perfect. I'll add that I'm only able to do this becuase our teams are relatively small. There has to be a better way to bulk reassingn contacts, plus any related open deals and tasks to new staff members. Maybe it's an Admin level process, but it needs to be built.

warnerjm
Participant

Agreed! This is important. We assign warm and hot leads to one person that then vets the lead and manually reassigns to a sales rep. We need all tasks that exist on the lead to automatically switch to the new lead owner. 

elizsmith
Contributor

I also agree.  Tasks should be able to be reassigned in bulk to the new contact owner. This is creating a lot of extra work for our team having to go through and manually adjust tasks. 

KFairbanks

Agreed; this is a must have!

carolineGR

hi, I see that this feature is at least 2 years old, even if quite a few people like me voted for it. Do w have an idea if Hubspot is taking this into consideration, is planning a release or has simply discarded the idea?

Kara

No progress on this at all, aside from taking away the bulk delete option in tasks. It would be great to get that back in case tasks fire off on accident and you need to bulk remove them from the queues. Right now, instead of being able to delete more than 100 tasks in bulk, I need to go through Hubspot's team to do it which was not the case a few months ago. The task application does not seem to be improving based on the customers' needs.

carolineGR

agree it's really a pain they removed the bulk delete, tasks are barely usable currently. 

Brittany480

Yes! I know theres a way to assign all from one user to another, but in our company doesn't do it that way. We split the leads between the remaining reps, so not one person is overloaded. It would also be nice if when you change the contact owner, it changed the company owner as well, or at least gave a dialog prompt giving that as an option. 

VTorresRamos
Participant

Agreed. Tasks should be able to be reassigned in bulk to the new contact owner.