HubSpot Ideas

vdecker1

Random Split List

I'm looking to create a random split list off of my master list, like A/B or A/B/C so I can test things like send times. Right now the only way I can think to do this is to export the list, add a column with a value, re-import and then segment. Would be great if the system could allow you to split the list into how ever many sub-segments you want and have it random. 

21 Kommentare
chrisp_aus
Mitglied

It would be good to be able to create groups based on the last numeral of the ContactID number. This would presumably be random and a good way to split lists. E.g. add to list where last numeral of ContactID is 0,1,2,3,4 would select 50% of the group.

chrisp_aus
Mitglied

Just tested this with my database. Hubspot seems to have disproportionately allocated the ContactID numbers in my account. IDs ending in 1 make up 22% of the total while each of the other numerals make up 9%.

TheBenjamin
Mitglied

This may be the brute force / naive way to do it but I created four Active lists based on first character of an email address.  The lists did not come out to 25% each but if I want to do a pure A/B test (50% each) then I can combine two of these lists to get about equal split:

• A E I M Q U Y 3 7 ! % ( +
  • B F J N R V Z 4 8 @ ^ ) =
  • C G K O S W 1 5 9 # & - ?
  • D H L P T X 2 6 0 $ * _ ~

Also not sure if it makes a difference but I entered each letter twice -- once upper and then again as lowercase.

Honestly, this is a hack and HS should really support this out of the box.  But hey, there's a f*king global pandemic and widespread unemployment, life isn't too bad if my biggest problem today is hacking together an A/B list.

MWestlake
Mitglied

Yes!! Would also love this feature. Such a pain to export, randomize, and reimport. 

Saper
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Again a simple yet vital functionality missing. It's amazing that HubSpot doesn't provide flexibility on such simple and essential things. How difficult can it be to enable such list splits for multivariate testing? In some cases, offering only A/B testing is just like a kindergarten level when the situation calls for a proper multivariate test.

ChaosFreak
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Everyone seems to have different specific requirements, but the general solution would be as follows:

Allow us to split any contact list (the primary list) into multiple sub-lists, and assign a percentage or total number of contacts to each sub-list. Each sub-list would be automatically populated with a random sample of the primary list. You can also specify sub-list "groups" where the sub-lists in the group are guaranteed not to overlap at all (i.e. not to contain the same contact).

Example:

Primary List contains 100,000 contacts.

Example 1: I want to create four sub-lists, with 10%, 30% and 60% of the primary list.

Example 2: I want to create one sub-list with only 33% of the primary list (there should be no limitation that sub-lists add up to 100%, you can choose less if you want)

Example 3: I want to create five sub-lists with 150 contacts each.

Example 4: I want to create a sub-list with 3790 contacts, one with 15,333 contacts and one with 21,222 contacts (you get it--it should be flexible and not have silly, unnecessary restrictions)

hchristian
HubSpot Employee

Upvoting on behalf of a customer. This is a great idea!

PhilZ87
Teilnehmer/-in

I could copy my comments from all the other ideas as always...

Essential, standard feature, all competitors have it...etc. etc....

I know HubSpot won't work on this anyway. But since this is the only way to voice our dissatisfaction, I'll guess i do it.

ChrisLumi
Mitglied

I've (sort of) managed this.
Option 1.) A workflow that all contacts go through. If their first name begins with the character ACEGI etc. they get assigned A in an AB property.
Option 2.) Set up Identical AB emails as form fill follow-ups then assign the property based upon which Hubspot decided they get. You can also weight how many of your contacts get on each list way.

But yes a more robust solution would be ideal.

kassieteagarden
Mitglied

I would really love to be able to create a list of '[Sales Rep Name] Contacts' and then create a sub-list of '[Sales Rep Name] Customers' and another sub-list of '[Sales Rep Name] Prospects'... this should be easy enough.. I'm surprised HubSpot doesn't have this.. Act-On does..

NBedo
Mitglied

Yes, this would be very helpful!

danmartin
Mitglied

This would be an absolutely amazing feature to have! We'd like to survey our own contact base, but don't need to email tens of thousands of people - just a sample size that meet a certain set of parameters. Building a list, exporting it, randomising it, and reimporting it is a bit tiresome. 

ABork
Mitglied

Upvoting this! Pardot has a similar feature. It would be awesome to be able to randomly split lists either 50/50 or a percentage variation without export/import hassle. This would be great for A/B tests or phased batching email sends. 

Vivre
Teilnehmer/-in

I would use this feature for sure! Pretty please can we have it?

SRKelly
Teilnehmer/-in

We need this as well and I also like the proposed solution of sub lists (pasting it again here)

‎Apr 30, 2021 5:03 PM

Everyone seems to have different specific requirements, but the general solution would be as follows:

Allow us to split any contact list (the primary list) into multiple sub-lists, and assign a percentage or total number of contacts to each sub-list. Each sub-list would be automatically populated with a random sample of the primary list. You can also specify sub-list "groups" where the sub-lists in the group are guaranteed not to overlap at all (i.e. not to contain the same contact).

Example:

Primary List contains 100,000 contacts.

Example 1: I want to create four sub-lists, with 10%, 30% and 60% of the primary list.

Example 2: I want to create one sub-list with only 33% of the primary list (there should be no limitation that sub-lists add up to 100%, you can choose less if you want)

Example 3: I want to create five sub-lists with 150 contacts each.

Example 4: I want to create a sub-list with 3790 contacts, one with 15,333 contacts and one with 21,222 contacts (you get it--it should be flexible and not have silly, unnecessary restrictions)

mlvanhorn
Teilnehmer/-in

Agreed, being able to randomly split lists would be extremely useful for A/B testing

Mike_Donnelly
Stratege/Strategin

Community - If this is still needed (we needed it for our own marketing efforts), we built a free tool in the HubSpot app marketplace called Split Test Automation.  If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out mike[at]theseventhsense.com

https://ecosystem.hubspot.com/marketplace/apps/marketing/marketing-automation/split-test-automation-...

maldao
Mitglied

I have a list with 25.000 contacts.

I want to create five sub-lists with 5000 contacts each
Need to test days!

monday 5000
tuesday 5000
wednesday 5000
thursday 5000
friday 5000
Mike_Donnelly
Stratege/Strategin

Hey @maldao - The first example in this article explains how you can do this easily with split test automation:  https://www.theseventhsense.com/blog/split-test-automation-use-cases

Status aktualisiert zu: In Beta
AndresBustos
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hi folks,

I have some great news. The ability to split any active or static list into up to 10 static lists, based on a selected percentage, is now available in Public Beta for Marketing Enterprise customers. You can enroll for this feature by going to Product Updates in your portal or clicking here

Thank you for your feedback! If you have any additional feedback about the tool we would love it if you could fill out this short form.

Thank you again!

Andres Bustos

HubSpot Product Manager

split equal.png