HubSpot Ideas

mariahedges

Private or hidden communication subscription type

It would be useful if it were possible to set up a subscription preference type which is private or could be hidden from everyone.

For example this could be used for an internal employee newsletter who would have a subscription category that cannot be signed up for by external people.  Or, if you have a specific group of customers who you want to sign up to a certain type of emails and therefore limit who would be able to access that subscription.

110 Replies
soleneoudet

We need this!!!

@anders_grove: has this workaround worked well so far?

TylerScionti
HubSpot Product Team

Hi all I am the product manager on the subscriptions team at HubSpot, I certainly see where this will be useful as folks run all their communications on HubSpot (external and internal) and the need to keep those completely separate. Right now we do not have a space for this in our roadmap, however I will keep this one on our radar.

bkelly

If this is not going to be implemented then it should be made clear that every subscription type will be displayed to anyone that ever receives an email from us if they click Manage Preferences, which is at the bottom of every email.

This feature can very easily "leak" information about a company that they might not want shared. The only way I found to discover it was my clicking on that link in a test email… 

michaelstrategy

I agree this would be useful. However, given the fact that we can't currently hide subscriptions from the public, we'll have to figure out a way to be comfortable with this functionality.

Here's a decent, no-code workaround:

• Set up a simple workflow that lets people attempt to opt-in, but if they don't meet your criteria (e.g. they're not a customer or not the right type of customer), they'll be instantly removed.

Note: Using a contact's Lifecycle stage (as in the example below) may not be enough filtering for your needs. You'll want to filter by however you categorize the types of folks you don't want to allow in - by product, by customer type, by lead type, or some mix of those.

How to immediately opt-out the types of contacts you don't want opted-inHow to immediately opt-out the types of contacts you don't want opted-in

• (Optional) Make them aware they were denied access: Kicking people out of things isn't the nicest thing in the world, so why not offer some closure to interested folks about why they weren't allowed in.

Make former customers or lower-status customers or unconverted leads aware they aren't the right fit for this exclusive mailing listMake former customers or lower-status customers or unconverted leads aware they aren't the right fit for this exclusive mailing list

• Example of Access Denied Email: A friendly and helpful automated email that goes out on Friday from a marketing person on your team saying something like this reinforces the idea that the list truly is exclusive - but also that there's a way to gain access (i.e. buying that product or service).

Hey Todd,

I noticed you tried to sign up for our [expensive, exclusive product name]'s customer newsletter this week.

Since that newsletter is only sent to those active clients, our system probably didn't let you subscribe to it.

We're under the impression you're a [not expensive or exclusive enough product] client. If that's incorrect, let us know!

In any case, here's some info about [expensive, exclusive product name] and happy to answer any questions as they arise.

Enjoy the weekend,
Michael
Ave_Ls

Let's imagine: you sell B2C and B2B software/products. For every product, you have a different funnel with email subscription support. There are 3 subscription types: sales subscription, marketing emails and service subscription in B2B, and only marketing and service in B2C.

But when a person wants to change his/her subscription preference he/she see ALL subscription types. The only words that can express their feeling is O M G.

I suggest making the "subscription hiding feature".

With this feature, a marketer can choose what people will see "sales subscription preferences" and who won't.

Do you experience the same problem? Upvote this post and leave a comment about your case.

cgardner22
Participant

Yes, we need this!! We offer a SAAS product and a newsletter for the public. We need the option to have, essentially two types of manager preferences pages, one for SAAS users and the other for the general public. 

kfavaloro
Participant

Any updates on this. Our marketing team is wanting to use HubSpot internally and I don't want them to go to another provider like Dynamics for internal communications?

kfavaloro
Participant

We need this and I don't want my marketing team looking at another application in order to have an internal communication platform to track campaigns. 

MBaecker

I like this idea. Also it would be nice to be able to set public or private communication between staff members. For example, my Business Development team doesn not want to share communication with the Sales team as they don't want their contacts being poached and number hitting the sales pipeline as opposed to the BD pipeline

bhascher
Contributor

Showing all subscription types to all subscribers is indeed a huge GDPR and customer satisfaction risk. Because of this, we disallowed sending emails with Hubspot to our customers.

I don't understand why this is not a critical roadmap issue for the Subscription Product Team at Hubspot.

The simplest way of implementing this is to be able to hide Sales and Service process emails from the online contacts subscription page.

RBonney
Participant

I really need this! We want a subscription type that can be easily opted out of but not easily opted into. So this would fulfill that role!

charlieclarke

Really need this too. Same use case as many others, private partner emails and segmented list communications that shouldn't be available to everyone externally but can be opted in and out of by specific segments.

HMC

I agree - I would like to have a subscription type that only shows if you're opted into it. This would allow you to opt out if you want, but would stop users from opting themselves in. We would use this for things like account update. Some of our clients are large companies with many users. They only want certain information about their account to go to the person designated as the "main contact". We wouldn't want any user to be able to opt in to this subscription.

dabroncos
Contributor

There is a big gap and problem in Hubspot that even Active Campaign can properly handle. 😄 There are not multiple subscription preference landing pages for each of my domains/brands that I have.  It is incredible that Hubspot is not able to provide this with Professional when I have a few different very small websites that I want different subscription options for so they don't all show up on the same page- Also I can't have them unsubscribe from all of my domains with one click.   To think I will be charged over $3,000/mo for enterprise to get this feature is ridiculous.  Even Active Campaign can do this for $150 per month.  Hubspot needs to step up their game!

dsecareanu
Top Contributor | Partner

+1 from me as well.

We need to create separated email subscriptions across multiple profiles (prospects, customers, partners, etc.) and we cannot have them all join the same subscriptions, especially since some of these include more sensitive information.

Is there any way to moderate subscription management (at least make sure that a journalist doesn't join a customer list)?

Thanks!

jenlangley
Participant

+1 this is a huge problem for us, as well.

RyanPeterson

+1 

Need this for our investor-only newsletter.

LWildman
Contributor

This is desperately needed - we need a way to send internal email such as employee newsletters and there's no way to put them on their own subscription, so we have to use one of our public subscriptions and pray that they don't unsubscribe. 😞 

JenD
Participant

It's not available in Enterprise either! 😡 I just submitted a ticket. My department is part of a university. We had HubSpot first. They decided they wanted HubSpot so they asked us if we wanted to combine and by doing so they would take over the billing. We already had 4 subscription types. When the university and all the other departments joined, the types grew considerably. Now when someone opts out they are overwhelmed with options. Of course, they are going to just click opt-out of all. I know I would! 

KZabinska

I would consider this to be a basic & necessary feature. I'd also imagine it is not uncommon to have multiple mailing lists for different groups - clients, vendors, employees etc - so the issue is relevant to large number of HubSpot customers. 

We need this!