HubSpot Ideas

rickm

Primary Contact Company Property

We frequently need to get in touch with the primary contact at one of our customers. In HubSpot, there is no way to identify who this is among the many contacts we have in HS for that organization.

Even HubSpot recognizes the importance of this for your own use, as our Account & Billing page includes a required drop-down field for HubSpot primary point of contact.  Ironic, huh?

Please add a new Company field type, which would allow us to pick from a list of contacts at that Company. This could either be a dedicated Point of Contact field or perhaps just a more generic field that lets you pick from a list of contacts (I'd probably do the latter).

HubSpot Updates
November 05, 2021 12:04 PM

hey all, appreciate your questions/comments on this. Replying to a few comments at once:

@reycepeda: I agree with you on sort order. We're researching/discussing that internally now, unsure what the next step will be but it's active discussion.

@MichaelC: (If I understand your question correctly) you'll need to actively switch to using the new v4 endpoint to take advantage of these association types via API. We're intentionally leaving v3 as-is, to prevent any implementations from breaking with this new functionality.

@elise1: awesome! Can't wait for your feedback. I read every comment in this Community thread (along with many others) but can't always reply.

@CrunchedAdmin: as in parent/child companies? If so - yes! That's exactly where we want to go in the future. Going to take some time but I'm looking forward to it.

@BrianSkov_WUD: a contact has a primary company by default, but a company doesn't have a primary contact. To achieve that, I would make a `primary contact` association label between Contacts and Companies. We left it out because that need is not something we saw as common enough across our customer interviews.

In Beta
October 04, 2021 12:12 PM

Hi folks, support for designating the "primary contact" on a company record is now in public beta. It will involve using the new "association label" functionality released as part of a larger associations update. See all the details here, including how to opt your portal in for the beta.

Looking forward to your feedback, I'm confident this functionality will resolve those blockers you've been running into.

Jeff

August 12, 2021 10:38 AM

@reycepeda thanks for sharing that - something we're considering. Will definitely share this feedback with the team!

In Beta
July 26, 2021 12:28 PM

Hi all! Thanks for continuing to share your specific needs here, it's really helpful to have context.

Happy to share we have an associations update in private beta (coming to public beta soon) that provides support for "association labels". These can be used to identify the "point of contact" on a Company record. See the "primary contact" label applied to a contact on a company record in the screenshot below.

Company record with primary contactCompany record with primary contact

We're not quite ready to release this to public beta yet, but expect to get access later this year.

In Planning
April 10, 2020 02:58 PM

Hello HubSpot Community, 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a great product. The ability to identify the primary contact on a company, deal, ticket, or any object is something we have been investigating on the HubSpot Product team. As a result, I'm going to move this idea into the "In Planning" stage. We'll continue to update this post as we make progress.

165 Replies
Lorna-M
Participant

When do you think Hubspot might impletment this feature? it would help us enormously.

jj12stars
Contributor

It would be great to be able to identify the primary contact. We have some companies with 50+ contacts and it is a real annoyance to have to scroll through the list on the company record.

fernandaTCS

Just spoke to a rep who suggested on upvoting the idea, which was submitted in 2017! I definitely need to prioritize the order of my contacts, and hope it could be done sooner than 2023 now...

HappyChicken
Participant

Upvote! I would like this feature.

jj12stars
Contributor

We found a kind of wonky way to have our most important contact be on the top on the company record. Hubspot puts the most recently created contact at the top, so we create a new contact in the company record (you don't have to add an email address if you do it this way). Then we merged the old contact into the new one and voila - our favorite contact is at the top and all the history is still there.

Mike_Eastwood
Key Advisor | Gold Partner

It's finished!

We've built a custom HubSpot Integration so you can set the Primary Contact in the HubSpot CRM.

hubspot-toolkit-primary-contact-hubspot-integration-PRO-1600x900px.png

There's a free 14 Day Trial for the Starter, Basic or Pro Subscriptions.

Please let me know what you think.

-Mike

David-cole

This seems like such a simple add. 

TheOCmarketer
Member | Partner

Ideally hubspot users can select multiple POCs, and have these appear at the top of the right sidebar on the company record.

This needs to get done... 4 pages of comments dating back to 2017 and 165 upvotes.

MitchLarson

Agreed @TheOCmarketer! Not sure what more convincing they could possibly need!

BigeMe

Get it done, @hubspot!

surmacki
Contributor

This is my workaround - I've created a custom property for my Deal object called: Deal Primary Contact [field type: single-line text]

Then when I want to assign a primary contact for this deal I open the contact in a new tab, copy the URL/link and paste the value into the "Deal Primary Contact" field.

It would be great if when creating a "custom property" you could choose the filed type dropdown but with values from this company contacts.

Lankester

How have people implemented this feature, other than surmacki's idea of a Deal field? We don't use deals in our implementation of Hubspot. I just need the main contact that I can share for a supplier list. Any ideas on the cleanest way to do this?

RVice

@Lankester For the supplier list, add a property "primary contact" with a "YES/NO". Then you can use a contact filter for primary contact to get the list.

Works well for this, works poorly for Deals. Because deals you need to dive down one more layer into the company to find the primary.

Mike_Eastwood

Hi @surmacki 

We've solved this for the Company with our Primary Contact HubSpot Integration.

We've had some requests to make the integration work for Deals.

Would you be able to share (in a private message or here) how you want this to work with Deals?

The deals feature is the next improvement on our roadmap.

Thank you

Mike

surmacki
Contributor

Hi @Mike_Eastwood! Thx for your reply! 

I create deals using a workflow based on the list with companies data. When the deals are there we call the company the deal is related to and we try to figure out the contact persons responsible for the services we deliver. Usually, we get a couple of contacts but later when communicating (processing the deal through the pipeline stages) we try to have one decision-maker and that's why it's important for us to know what is the relation of each contact to the deal. We need a primary contact property for the deal but it would be also great if we could describe (dropdown) relation to the other contacts related to that deal.

Hope it's clear enough 🙂

Mike_Eastwood

Thank you @surmacki, the business process you described is very similar to another client of ours.

I will contact you when we have something to show you.

Thanks again

Mike

orianef
Participant

Hi there! We definitely need it for the deals as well.

Thank you!

Mike_Eastwood

Hi @orianef , I will be in touch once we've added the functionaility to Deals.

-Mike

cyril_chapon
Participant

@Mike_Eastwood in here we are dying to have this for contact-deal association.

Basically same feature. BTW, Hubspot API has a new generic "CRM associations" strategy, which would make your integration portable with a little less work.

Can I help there ?

mikebrown
Contributor

Why is it that every basic or standard feature of most other CRM Packages, which is not included in Hubspot has to end up being an additional cost through a 3rd party integration.  (No offence @Mike_Eastwood )  Hubspot is too expensive already.

Primary Contact should be a standard option in Hubspot period!!

I am more and more looking at moving away from this product