HubSpot Ideas

TommiEnenkel

Preventing contacts from reenrolling in workflows after a merge

Right now, merging a secondary contact into a primary contact might reenroll the primary contact in workflows that have already been completed for the secondary contact. 

This does not make sense for workflows that are configured to enroll contacts only once and might result in unwanted behavior such as sending out marketing emails again, possibly months after they were intended to be sent out.

From my perspective, this is a bug, since the whole contact history (including workflow history) is merged and therefore the new contact contains all the information for a workflow to know that the contact should not be reenrolled.

This can result in a negative impact on the brand and an increased number of customer service requests from customers who are confused by emails they received unexpectedly.

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
February 07, 2020 09:10 AM

Hi all! As @Msyvrais pointed out, there's now a setting in contact workflows that when enabled (No selected), prevents contacts who meet the workflow's criteria as the result of a merge from enrolling in that workflow!This feature is now available to all customers.  You can read more here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/workflows/manage-your-contact-based-workflow-settings#merged-contact-enrollment

We did roll this setting out with a default to "Yes" (enroll merged contacts) as that matches the old default behavior, and we did not want to entirely change the functionality in all customer workflows without their awareness or consent. We've heard feedback that some customers would like to see this as a global setting/choose a portal default, so that it can be enabled/disabled for all workflows with one update, so please continue to add your voice and support to this new idea in that vein: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/enrolling-merged-duplicates-in-workflow-default-to-NO/idi-p/313400

28 Replies
STWD99
Participant

Oh wow, @Msyvrais , I think that might actually do the trick!  Thanks for such a quick update; I'll start playing around with some stuff. 

I agree, making this a global setting would be great, but it's better than having no option that's for sure.  Hopefully they'll continue to expand on the functionality.  

Thanks again for the help! 🙂

Msyvrais
Key Advisor

Feel free to upvote my suggestion if it makes sense for you too! They are so great at listening! I just requested this exact feature less than 2 weeks ago! Imagine my surprise when I caught it the other day.

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/enrolling-merged-duplicates-in-workflow-default-to-NO...

christa
Contributor

The setting @Msyvrais points out appears to be in a specific workflow. We have hundreds of workflows running all the time. It is not feasible to think that we would go into each one of these workflows and turn this setting to 'No'.

As mentioned, there should be a global setting option for the account to take care of this. That avoids a time-consuming task of updating all of the workflows that exist and avoids the possibility of missing the setting when new workflows are created.

Msyvrais
Key Advisor
MeganLegge
HubSpot Product Team

Hi all! As @Msyvrais pointed out, there's now a setting in contact workflows that when enabled (No selected), prevents contacts who meet the workflow's criteria as the result of a merge from enrolling in that workflow!This feature is now available to all customers.  You can read more here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/workflows/manage-your-contact-based-workflow-settings#merged-contact-e...

We did roll this setting out with a default to "Yes" (enroll merged contacts) as that matches the old default behavior, and we did not want to entirely change the functionality in all customer workflows without their awareness or consent. We've heard feedback that some customers would like to see this as a global setting/choose a portal default, so that it can be enabled/disabled for all workflows with one update, so please continue to add your voice and support to this new idea in that vein: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/enrolling-merged-duplicates-in-workflow-default-to-NO...

cdorsey
Contributor

Hi! I found this thread as I was seeking a solution to a current problem we're encountering - 

We're working through a pretty thorough data clean up in our HubSpot account to improve our usage now that we're really expanding into all areas of the system, and part of this clean up involves a large scale review of duplicate Contacts. I've had one of my team members working through this the last couple of days, and we've found that upon "Merge" some of the Contacts are being enrolled in Workflow automation - however, all of our Workflows have the option described above (and included in my screenshot here) set to "No," so how come the Contacts are enrolling anyway? 

I've really got to get this resolved quickly and what's been suggested so far seems to be a clunky and time-consuming solution, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

HubSpot Pricing Contact Email - Merge.png

CDaniell1

@cdorsey I cannot think of a solution for you sorry! But I am really curious if HubSpot Support came back to you with a solution / reason? Please let me know if so 🙂 I am battling with these "merged contacts" and "workflows" at the moment as well 

CBN
Top Contributor