HubSpot Ideas

CMayer

Prevent creation of hubspot users as contacts

Following case:

- I have users A and B in Hubspot and external contact X

- A is sending an Email from Hubspot to X and B is in CC

- Contact X is doing reply all and sending to A and B

- In this case user A and/or B are created as contacts

This results in that over time all internal hubspot users appeaar as contacts which is quite confusing. Unique ID for this should be the Email.

6 Replies
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @CMayer,

You can always create an active list of contacts, filtering for "Email domains contains exactly @cmayer.com". This list could be used both as an exclusion/suppression list in emails, workflows, reports – or someone could, on a regular basis, delete these contacts.

Let me know if this sounds like a solid workaround for you. If yes, this post could be moved over to the discussion/solution area of the community.

Cheers!

CMayer
Contributor

Hi @karstenkoehler after talking to hubspot support this seems indeed the only currently possible solution. We have created a workflow that generates a task if such a contact is created and then we delete it.

Thanks

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner

Sounds like a good solution to me, @CMayer. Do you still want to keep this idea open?

CMayer
Contributor

@karstenkoehler yes I still want to keep it open as I see the current behavior as a bug. In my opinion internal hubspot users should never automatically occur as contacts

Gary_Wright
Participant | Diamond Partner

Yes, I agree this is a bug. It also creates major issues when it comes to activity reporting accuracy. This can be excluded in custom reports using the email doesn't contain... feature - but this cannot be done for single object reports.

The way I see it, Users and contacts are 2 different things, and right now HS isn't even de-duping them. I still think the best solution is to make it impossible for a user to be a contact though

KubaNowakowski
Contributor

@karstenkoehler I like your list idea but could you please let me know how would I use such a list? We have got a lot of internal email communication and there are several new contacts I have to delete on daily basis and it's hard to maintain especially during longer breaks. Sales often send emails from HS and like to add other team memebrs to CC. This is an issue since our users have access only to contacts assigned to them and HS blockes them from adding contacts they do not own to CC. I am looking for a more permament solution. I hope you will have a momnt to take a look at this. Happy new year by the way 🙂