HubSpot Ideas

jenniferlim

Prevent certain Sales users from editing Products

Currently, any user who has a Sales Pro seat is able to edit Products regardless of what permissions they have. I'd like to have more granular permissions for this, as I don't want my users mistakenly editing products. 

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
January 14, 2022 11:44 AM

Hey folks - my name is Ethan and I'm the product manager for the Products and Line Items team. I apologize for the belated update, but you may have noticed that since fall of 2020, there is now a user-level permission in "Sales" that controls whether or not a user has permission to make updates to the Product Library. We may introduce more granular permissions in the future (e.g. they can edit description, but not name or price), but it is not currently on the roadmap for this quarter or this year.

In Planning
May 18, 2020 11:52 AM

Hi! We are currently working on adding additional permissions for the product library. We will update this post as it becomes available.

28 Replies
ReineDeChine

No problem with having Sales Managers using/adding the Products in the Deals, however they should not be able to create Products with made-up pricing in the Library  (yes...this is happening now)

Only the Admin should have the capability to create Products (with an approved list price, minimum price and cost price) in my opinion.

mollyurigatti
Participant | Elite Partner

Yes!! We have a definite need for this

brndnstwrt
Contributor

We have quite a few Sales Hub Enterprise users and we recently realized that some of them have been adding products to the product library without informing the internal sales team.

It would be nice to be able to restrict access to editing the product library to only those given expressed permission to make edits.

KeyWestScott
Key Advisor

Not just Sales Hub, but across all of HS.  There needs to be a way to give access in a more granular way.

Scott

rmarek

The Products need to be revamped to allow custom fields and user level permissions control.  I don't want users having the ability to change prices or edit discounts on deals let alone the ability to make new products.

I agree with Scott above too, need more ability to control permissions accross all of hubspot.

dnelson
HubSpot Product Team

Hi! We are currently working on adding additional permissions for the product library. We will update this post as it becomes available.

fabiomarques
Participant

Dnelson, any estimate date for this feature?

KeyWestScott
Key Advisor

@dnelson Hopefully, this is going beyond the product library, but to the entirety of Hubspot.  The whole permissions system is way to lax and open to misuse, unintentional or otherwise.

Seems that the security was based on opening the barn door, completely and then "oops" too many horses got out.  What happened? Well, lets close the door an inch and see if that helps..........

Scott

NickFWB

Def need this, especially for startups where we have junior employees that are not familiar with this type of responsibility or sales processes. Here our team needs even more controlling mechanisms to make sure our reporting is not messed up through (i.e. edited prices, creation of new product names even though these already exist in the library, etc.)

benesch_e
Contributor

I workd with 15+ remote sales people, scattered across the world, recently one of them got into the product library and changed a price to reflect the product price for their customer. This resulted in several days of work painstakingly going through 2000 products to ensure the price was correct.

There has to be a way to prevent users from modifying the product library without permission, this fix needs to come sooner rather than later becasue there can be thousands of dollars on the line if someone (who, mistakingly finds themselves in the product library) changes a product price, as well as our reputation with out customers.

lgibbons
Participant

We have different product lists that are relevant to different users. We would like to be able to restrict the relevant product library to a certain group of users, so that not all users can see those products/prices.

iTelKaylee
Participant

I agree! This is a much-needed feature as we are importing our entire catalog with 1000s of products into HS. As the one who will be managing it, I want to be certain that specific properties are available to see (like sub-charges to add), but not be changed for the next person. I don't want to end up in a situation where there are mystery subcharges/carriers/products based on confusion from an accidental edit.

benesch_e
Contributor

@iTelKaylee 

You probably have the ability to lock people out of your product library, I do not think this feature is limited by HubSpot subscription level.

Settings > Users & Team > Under Sales Permissions there is one for Manage product library

**someone with  SuperAdmin powers is probably required to change this permission in your company*

iTelKaylee
Participant

@benesch_e  Thank you! 

SBoylan
Participant

Agree, this is a fundamental need for admins to be able to control.

JElcombe
Participant

Hey guys, just wanted to push the envelope on this.
Come on Hubspot, please listen to the community and make changes faster.

Too often I run into a roadblock and it takes months and months for something small to happen.

We're paying a premium for this platform.

GKell
Contributor

NEED

ethankopit
HubSpot Product Team

Hey folks - my name is Ethan and I'm the product manager for the Products and Line Items team. I apologize for the belated update, but you may have noticed that since fall of 2020, there is now a user-level permission in "Sales" that controls whether or not a user has permission to make updates to the Product Library. We may introduce more granular permissions in the future (e.g. they can edit description, but not name or price), but it is not currently on the roadmap for this quarter or this year.

callie
Contributor

We would love to be able to permission specific folders within our Product Library to certain teams. There are things that can be sold by CSMs that Sales should not be able to add to their quotes. We have folders set up, but the added level of security is definitely necessary. Thanks, team!

lgibbons
Participant

I second what Callie said, to be able to make folders visible for certain teams and not visible for others is a much-needed tool for us. We have different contract rates for numerous clients, which means a folder for each client, you can imagine how hard it is for our reps to find the correct folder and line item. If they only had access to what was relevant to them, it would be much easier.