HubSpot Ideas

Ian1099

Prevent Users from Deleting Contacts

Currently the setting for users to edit contacts is an all or nothing deal. If you want your users to be able to edit a contact's phone number they also get permission to delete it. 

Would be awesome if you could remove a user's ability to delete a contact but still allow them to edit basic info like phone number, address, etc. 

57 Replies
rodrigotooge

Agree completely!! As abiblu said, it's essential to ensure data integrity!

erica11
Top Contributor

This is a must for us too. We don't want data to be deleted so easily! We also need to be able to see who has deleted contacts so we can follow up with them and see why they're doing it or if it is by accident.

soukab

Agreed!!! we need a specific permission "deleting records"

CharlesDEB

This feature would be necessary for us as well. 

mgeorgieva
HubSpot Product Team

j-collins-ep

This is highly desirable functionality that should be available. Deleting Contacts and Companies is not a trivial action and should be controllable. We need this!

NRaymond8

Yes, we need this permission feature for Contacts and Deals. We don't want our employees deleting records from our CRM, but we do need them to add/edit these records. We had an employee Delete a Deal record that was coupled to our software via API and it broke the coupling.

brewmjk

Must have. We have 140,000 companies and can't manage the 100s we have being deleted a day for some reason. Have to give us some limitations on users to prevent this and leave it up to admins to maintain data integrity. 

YiRui_Chua
HubSpot Employee

Hi, commenting for a customer here:

This is important because deleting a contact is sometimes considered a more important step that requires higher secuity clearance. As such, placing them together under the "Edit" tag line might not justify this action.

Often times, we want users to be able to manage contacts, but without the ability to actually delete them without a Super Admin's permission.

HCook

I would also expand this to Service > Tickets. Right now users can delete single tickets. Users can delete notes etc.

ACarwile

I would definitely like the functionality to not allow users the ability to add or delete contacts, but still able to edit contacts. 

Blythe
Participant

There are two sides to this issue.

In our business, the way HubSpot is set up, we have a lot of contact via our website, allowing for contact ceation into HubSpot. A lot of the time, the person is just browsing but their details remain on HubSpot and they never come back and will also never become a Deal. We engage with them for a period of time but I do think that the option should be there to delete contacts after a period of no interaction or response. 

If, however, there has been correspondence with a contact, whether it bears fruit or not, that contact should be maintained for a deliberated period of time, just in case you need to go back on records.

ACarwile

@Blythe I was not saying the delete/add function should be eliminated. I just would like the ability to toggle it on or off for certain users. If you wanted all users to have the functionality, then you could turn it on. In my case, I want certain users not to have that ability to delete or add but still edit. Just simply splitting up the options instead of an all or none option. 

Dylan
HubSpot Product Team

Hello HubSpot community, 

I’m excited to let you all know that this functionality, the ability to prevent a user from deleting a record, is now in beta. This new permission is available for all tiers of HubSpot customers, including free accounts. 

We plan to release this broadly before the end of April. However, if you’d like to be one of the first to access the beta, please submit your details on this form and I will give your account access as soon as possible.

Thank you as always for your continued feedback, it helps us build a better product.

Dylan
HubSpot Product Team

Hi HubSpot community, 

Posting to let you all know that as of a few minutes ago, this new permission is available in all accounts. 

Thank you as always for your continued feedback! 

- Dylan 

Bruno_Teixeira
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Thanks for the update here. 

coconnorALPS
Participant

Just checking in on this! Ours is very much an info security concern - currently we have everyone dragging and dropping their emails in a file folder program, for compliance/security reasons. It would be awesome if they could use HubSpot email logging feature. However, we'd need a way to ensure all users except Admins couldn't delete emails (or notes, calls).