HubSpot Ideas

ayrtonwebs

Pre-populate certain fields

Under the contacts > forms > options there is an option to pre-populate fields with known values. As this is helpful in many ways, we encountered many times that the "message" textarea field also gets pre-populated with the same content as before. This could be a problem when you use the pre-populate function on a contact page for example.

My suggestion for a new feature is that you can pre-populate certain fields, or at least disable pre-populating for certain input/textarea fields instead of all. I think this function would not only benefit us, but a lot of companies that use the pre-populating feature across their forms.

39 Replies
natedame
Participant

Yes! I'd characterize this as a necessary feature for our workflows and marketing programs! Otherwise, you need to create many many fields/properties, which really clog up the CRM.

Heide

Is this still not a feature? This seems critical. Please and thanks!

JoeMayall
HubSpot Alumni

Hi HubSpot Community,

My name is Joe, I'm the Ideas Forum Manager. I've been in contact with the HubSpot product team about this Idea, and I wanted to provide a quick update.

We appreciate all the feedback you’ve shared here to help our team evaluate this feature request. However, at this time, this functionality is not something our team is planning to build into HubSpot. This is certainly subject to change in the future, so feel free to leave feedback if you'd like. We'll update this thread if our plans change.

Best,
Joe
Ideas Forum Manager

Heide

That is disappointing as this seems like something that should be required functionality and not hard to implement, programmatically.

johnigoeuk

Having flexibility to set prefill (or lack of) against individual properties within context of form is an excellent idea. Currently, fields like 'message' which could be reused in different contexts risk being populated with info from a previous fill (in different form and context). Equally, having to disable the entire form because of one field like this is a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater!

Stine
Contributor

Can HubSpot please reconsider this functionality?  I agree with the others about the Comments field being very confusing to send through like it's part of the form they just submitted when it's old data.

The other place that I'm now concerned about - we are capturing our UTM parameters in EVERY form as hidden fields.  If these prepopulate we are putting the wrong data in our forms!  How can we avoid this?  Only basic contact fields should have the prepopulate option.

Christine

Dogtag89
Contributor

this now seems to be possible according to this knowledge article - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/forms/can-i-auto-populate-form-fields-through-a-query-string

I also tested it on a hubspot form myself for the email field and it works 🙌

matttunney
Top Contributor

I'm also looking for this functionallity.
I have a select dropdown that offers users a choice o how to get in contact.
It's not ideal that this dropdown choice gets populated automatically when their enquiry might differ from the previous submission

christapuch
Member | Diamond Partner

I concur.

Having an option to maybe tick a box to prevent "this field to pre-populate" would be a great feature.

For now, I'm setting up a Workflow to clear the message field everytime it's been filed in.

Hawk-Steve
Top Contributor

+1 form me.

We have forms relating to deals, where there can be multiple per person. So while pre-populating email is important, deal specifics is something we don't want pre-populating.

acorbett

Agreed; customers who fill out the same form multiple times but with different context each time (but the same basic contact info everytime)

TomMercer

I also spent some time today looking for a solution to this, and came up empty. Please please PLEASE implement this guys, the message filed really shouldn't be pre-filled.

PLeininger
Participant

This functionality already exists, you only have to make it field selectable.  A pretty simple fix.  Also, why would anyone want a "Comments" field to stay populated?   This is a great lead generator when you give the user the option to communicate, but it's freaky when their last comment continues to display.  This is how inbound marketing is effective. 

PLeininger
Participant

Pardot has this... 

JRyan1

Agree with PLeininger

PLeininger
Participant

Seems like five years later this is still a good idea and the code is already written! 

LPicker
Participant

2023 and would love to see this feature too! Any update please HubSpot?

Eddithor
Participant

Definitely something I need.

I have retail partners that fill out standard forms a lot, and in addition to having fields that will be different every time, there are also fields I want keep manual (like the email address) to prevent accidental crossover due to users sharing a device. But everyone at a particular location will be in the same region so I want to be able to capture that automatically, since we use the that to route the subsequent ticket.

JMCabon
Participant

We are new on Hubspot (comming from Pardot) and this capability could be very helpfull. I'm really surprise that can't be yet possible in Hubspot