HubSpot Ideas

JoeMayall

Pass activity between related custom objects and contacts & companies

In our company, we use custom object like this:
Contact > personal information
Company > company information
Custom object > store information (each company has stores)

We do emails and phone calls to stores, so we want to be able to log those activities in custom objects. When we log an activity (such as email or phone call), we want it to pass between related contacts, companies, and custom objects.

26 Replies
farmchem

This is very important to us as well. The current limitations require you to visit the custom object to log the activity. It would be nice to be able to associate an activity on the fly with a custom object.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are currently working on adding custom objects to the associations list that appears when your create or edit activities in the CRM. This will allow you to select a custom object record to associate the activity to when creating the activity on a contact, company, deal, or ticket.

farmchem

Kevin... you are a Christmas miracle! This is fantastic news.

NancyLambert
Member | Platinum Partner

Kevin, how soon will this be done? We desperately need that ability to associate activities from a Contact or Deal record to a Custom Object record. I feel that customers have been misled on this limitation. We are willing to program it in the API, we just need to know what to do. Thanks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @NancyLambert! Apologies for how long this update is taking. There are unfortunately a few techincal blockers preventing the final stage of work on our end but progress continues. We are hoping to have an update for everyone sooner than later!

CarlssonElkins
Participant

Hello @Anonymous, thank you for the work you are doing to fix this issue - is there an update on when we might see this?  Very many thanks!

CarlssonElkins
Participant

Adding to this is the ability to send email from a custom object - currently, calls can be placed from a CO but not emails.  Please can this be included as part of the fix?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CarlssonElkins there is still some work being done here to make this happen although a few more acute issues came up in the meantime that required the team's attention. The ability to send emails from a custom object record is actually what is being worked on right now. Once that is done, the ability to associate activities to custom objects from other records will be possible.

lislex
Member | Diamond Partner

Hey Kevin,
Thanks for the update and the great work you're doing! 
I've got a question, even tho it might be a little offtop IT still related to custom activities 🙂 
Is it possible to associate a cutom activity with a custom object. 
Custom object is associated with one contact, so the questuion is. 
Is there a way to associate a contacts custom acivity with the relevant custom object? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lislex! Do you have an example of a custom activity in mind? In terms of associating a contact's Email, Note, Call, Meeting, or Task to a custom object, work is progressing nicely there so we are hoping to make this possible sooner than later.

CarlssonElkins
Participant

That's amazing news @Anonymous, can't wait!  Just need the pipeline feature now and custom objects will be in a whole new league! 😁

Appreciate your help.

lislex
Member | Diamond Partner

Hey @Anonymous, thanks for the quick response! 
That's sounds awesoemand we indeed looking forward for this! 
About my current case, I;m trying to attack specific clicks, page visits and form fillouts to specific custom objects. 
E.g. if person Visited page A, I want this activity to be associated with Contact itself ad a custom object. 
My idea was to pass some kind of ID in such Custom Activties and then based on such ID associate them with Custom Objects.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lislex thanks for the additional detail! That definitely makes sense to me. What would having that info on your custom object records enable you to do in your day to day out of curiosity?

DarlaM
Participant

Kevin thank you for all the updates here! I'm just setting up a custom object myself for our new sales hub but this limitation has been tricky. When this is all set, will previous activities to associated contacts, companies, and deals appear as activities for the custom object? Or would it just start up after this is launched?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DarlaM! Thanks for your question. All associations between activities and custom objects will need to manually be selected, even after the update. For any existing activities, you will need to click the associations dropdown and add the activity to the desired custom object. I hope this helps calrify things!

Here is a screenshot of what the update will look like, imaging a use case where Robots is the custom object, for those curious:

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 5.47.46 PM.png

CarlssonElkins
Participant

@Anonymous this is looking great!  Any ideas when it might be GA or beta?  Thanks for your ongoing work on this 👌

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CarlssonElkins thanks! I don't have an exact timeline as of yet but I'll be sure to post here as soon as we are ready for Beta testers so you can give it a try.

CarlssonElkins
Participant

Hello @Anonymous, just wondering if we have an update on this please? 😊 Many thanks!

LPereira3
Participant

@Anonymous  Hi Kevin, I am wondering if you have an idea if and when this new association dropdown (which is awesome btw!) is going to be present in the Gmail extension? Currently there is no way to associate an email composed in Gmail to a custom object. My team sends all of their communications through Gmail and use the extension to associate emails. 

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CarlssonElkins we are actually getting close to a Beta launch on this. Anyone who would like to get early Beta access is welcome to send me a direct message with their Hub ID(s) and I would be happy to add you to the Beta when we've finished testing and QA!

@LPereira3 glad you like it! I don't have an update on the Gmail or Chrome extensions at this time but I can certainly touch base with that team to see what their plans are.